Process / FPG

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Scooter1, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

That pretty much aligns with my thoughts but from feedback I have heard a good number of SFSG personnel go on selection, possibly a higher percentage than 'usual'. I'm guessing some use it as a staging post for a variety of reasons.

2. LighteningWolf

LighteningWolf Royal Marines Commando

SFSG is definitely the best insight into what type of work SF actually do. SFSG often train alongside SAS/SBS and ultimately deploy on operations alongside them too. Sometimes utilised as a back-seat role used for driving, medical or sentry purposes, but due to SF undermanning it's not uncommon to just be slotted into their teams if they need the manpower.

I would say the majority of people at SFSG either have aspirations to go SF, or have tried previously, failed and settled for SFSG being the closest to what they wanted to achieve.

I don't think it's a necessary stepping stone for UKSF selection however. Whilst it's a really good insight it's such a busy unit and you simply won't have the time to train efficiently for selection and give yourself the best chances of passing the hills, as opposed to a Commando unit where you will have much more time to dedicate towards smashing the phys and the map reading.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's true! I guess I won't really know until I'm there and going through everything RT will throw at me what I'll want to do in the future. Thanks for the info though it's appreciated! ;)

When you say you found it hard to leave do you mean they tried their hardest to keep a hold of you up there? I do quite like the idea of it, but I'd also like to experience another unit at some stage, maybe 43 is best left until later on in a career!

4. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Have not seen anything at all from the RM relating to SFSG but retired 1 PARA lads have posted pics from their time in it and they seem to do some cool as deployments and operations!

Is map reading hard to get a handle on?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Give it a go. It's not as easy at it seems.

If going for a Commission, your troops will point you in the right direction, of that you can be certain.

RN Officers seem to regularly make a monumental cock-up when it comes to hitting "uncharted" stuff, even with GPS.

True or otherwise, I'd like to think the guys in charge have a bit of a clue where they are rather than kill people through ignorance.

They need reminding of that fact constantly, however angrily they may wish to dispel the fact as a myth.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Australia and the Isle of Skye spring to mind. But that's just my cheap joke. :)

A sound Officer will always maximise the use of resources at his or her disposal. Which in terms of nav will be the SNCO and JNCO ranks. The probability is that their 'green skills' are far better than his or hers.
    "Sergeant, plot a route to this location on the map. We must reach it by 0400."
    Job done.

It's not about being humble, it's about being sensible and deploying common dog sense.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  7. R

R Well-Known Member

As manning needs to be kept at 90% and for many its not a preference draft there can be an impact on release to your next draft, and/or joining an SQ. That is unless its DSS. ;) Experiences may differ.

8. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

I think threadpigeon made a good point about pipe dreams of MarSec earlier on.

Lads maritime security has gone the way all private security goes, a race to the bottom.

I've good contacts with literally loads of TL's, I also have my STCWs and SSO etc etc.

Getting a job is about who you know and how well recommended you are, I had the option, and then read the small print....

Do NOT pick FPG as your 1st draft pic.

Source* I went there straight from training in 2006. Having put it as my 3rd choice.

I had a hoofing time in training and did well, Faslane and the behind the wire 'scene' was a massive kick in the bollocks.

Maybe things are different now, but don't get seduced by Gucci sounding jobs and C8 carbines, fighting unit life is much better.

FPG is far better for lads who have been out of the box a few years, and know their job inside out.

My opinion.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I would be inclined to agree.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rover

Rover Moderator

It did not help by the explosion in ‘Maritime Security Company’s’ with the ‘you must do our course’ before we can employ you! At a price.

The Ships Security Officers course (SSO) is for Ships Officers and is formulated by the International Maritime Organisation (*text deleted*). It is to ensure security access to a vessel when alongside in port.

Basically a 3 day death by PowerPoint at a basic cost of £300 yet the price increased in some cases to over £700 by some companies. Again being marketed as a must have prior to employment!

Currently the day rate for on-board armed security has dropped considerably with many being employed with no firearms/military training, some never having seen the sea before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Fair dues, I think I may need to get some more knowledge on the whole situation!

I appreciate your input as well about 43, it seems to be 50/50 whether people enjoy it or absolutely despise it, I guess I won't really know until I actually get into RT and see how I get on! Maybe 42 would be a better fit for me, not *text deleted* complain though if I get sent elsewhere, would just be happy to be there.

Is there any serving Irish who use the forums at the moment? Or anyone in RT? I have a few questions for them regarding applying from Ireland, want to have everything sorted out so I can focus on phys for the year!