proposed cut of 1,000 Royal Marines

Chelonian

Reaction score
Any speculation on how this could impact RT demands?

The Ministry of Defence has stated that no decisions have yet been made so any speculation now would be about speculation itself, if that makes any sense? :confused:

Rover

Reaction score
One course of action being.....
From a post on OAMAAM

This (below) has been sent out by Jane Thompson and is self-explanatory and deserves the widest possible distribution. Onwards!

Ewen Southby-Tailyour

Dear All,

As you can imagine Julian is up in arms about the suggested cuts, he is very
involved with the movers and shakers and is doing what he can to bring them
to their senses!

As he and many others point out, how on earth can you land people on beaches
without landing craft and troops who have been trained in their use and
amphibious landings? think Normandy, the Falklands, Gallipoli, and recently
their humanitarian help in the West indies after the hurricanes, landing
supplies over beaches because the port was destroyed. And of course we know
that not only are the Royal Marines the best in the world! (think their
record in Iraq and Afghanistan) but they are specifically trained for
amphibious work and provide 50% of Uk special forces, more than any other
regiment or service.

So please, all of you, be loves and sign this to save them, we need 100,000
sigs for it to be required to be debated in parliament, otherwise they will
just be cut without a discussion/debate.

*text deleted* to you all,
Jane and Julian.

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202588

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Signed.

Heartening to hear the USMC speaking out and publicly opposing this travesty.

Ashyy

Reaction score
I don't understand why they're still advertising for recruits so much. Especially recently I've been seeing more ads than ever, literally just scrolled passed one on Facebook o_O..

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I don't understand why they're still advertising for recruits so much. Especially recently I've been seeing more ads than ever, literally just scrolled passed one on Facebook o_O..
I think lots of chits are in? For whatever reasons??? o_O And the potential outflow is bigger than incoming ranks? Maybe? Just a guess.

Rover

Reaction score
Signed.

Heartening to hear the USMC speaking out and publicly opposing this travesty.

US Military Chiefs Warn Of 'Damaging' Cuts To Royal Marines

Wed, 25/10/2017 - 13:13

Cuts to the Royal Marines could be very "damaging" according to senior US military officers.

Colonel Dan Sullivan warned that the relationship between the US Marine Corps (USMC) and its British counterpart would change if the proposed cut of 1,000 Royal Marines and UK's two amphibious assault ships are lost.

During a visit to London to attend a conference on the impact of technology on defence, The Times reporting him saying:

“My message is to articulate how important having that capability in our partner is, and how damaging I think it would be if our most important coalition partner potentially takes the hits that are projected right now.”

Lieutenant-General Jerry Harris of the US Air Force said he was also opposed to the Royal Marines being reduced, but providing the defence budget was not squeezed, the United States would respect Britain's decision.

Speaking to The Times General Harris said: "We are worried about the talk of any reductions but, again, internally each country has to look at the risks the have and make the decisions they need to make."

He added:

"Having that war fighting capability is expensive but more expensive is losing the next fight... I think we could do better by spending a little more on our defence."

The Royal Marines have expressed their dismay over potentially decreasing their branch. However, British military chiefs are faced with the challenge of filling a funding hole amounting to £20-£30 billion over the next 10 years.

With calls to increase money dedicated to armed forces in the autumn statement, other options to ease spending include losing HMS Bulwark and HMS Albion, cutting the size of the army from 82,000 to 65,000 and easing up on buying fast jets.

Colonel Sullivan works at the Marine Corps Warfighting Labratory in Virginia, which looks at current and future possibilities, he said to The Times:

“From a military standpoint as the UK continues to diminish and as the Royal Marines in particular take a hit, I think that our view of what we will be able to do together in the future changes.”

He described any reduction to the Royal Marine as "a real blow" as their unique capabilities remain relevant today.

Adding:

“If you want to be decisive you have to be able to project power ashore at some point.”

Latest posts

New Threads