Protein Shake 4 Days Before Medical - Advice

dolly

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bit of a weird one, possibly me overthinking. Just received confirmation for my F2F medical appointment today, it'll be on Wednesday. However, last night I had probably half a protein shake - didn't finish it, each serving is 21 grams of plant protein. First time I've had one in months...and sod's law I have a medical that suggests avoiding protein shakes a week before hand -banghead- Any advice on what I should do? Is it worth calling my AFCO? Postponing the medical? Drink plenty of fluids now to dilute and expel it from the system quicker? Any sports science graduates or people in the know in regards to protein lingering in the body/urine? Apologies if this has already been asked. All the best.

Last edited:

Steerie

Reaction score
A Protein Shake is absolutely fine mate as long as you are using Protein from brands you consider to be reputable and have the informed sport logo. Be careful with not well known brands and products that don't have the informed sport logo because you don't know exactly what could be in them for example a drug that could fail you your drug test.

Last edited:

dolly

Reaction score
A Protein Shake is absolutely fine mate as long as you are using Protein from brands you consider to be reputable and have the informed sport logo. Be careful with not well known brands and products that don't have the informed sport logo because you don't know exactly what could be in them for example a drug that could fail you your drug test.
Thank you for the info mate, it's MyProtein Vegan plant protein blend, coffee and walnut, disgusting. Is it possibly not the high protein count in urine they may fail someone on?

Steerie

Reaction score
Thank you for the info mate, it's MyProtein Vegan plant protein blend, coffee and walnut, disgusting. Is it possibly not the high protein count in urine they may fail someone on?
Oh I thought it was to do with the chances of illegal substances being in the Protein which is why you are told not to have them. I didn't know it was because of the protein count in urine, interesting. Did your AFCO tell you not to have any Protein shakes before your medical?

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi as @Steerie said a protein shake on its own per say as long as its from a reputable brand is unlikely to cause you any issues on the test. What they are looking for is things like Haematuria which is blood in urine, high urea, creatinine etc. A high protein load is more likely to do this. How much protein are you eating per day? I reduced my protein to 120g (still quite a high amount 2 x bodyweight + a bit) and had no issues.

If you want to play it safe (why not) I would cut all extra protein sources other than real natural food, keep hydrated and you'll be fine. Also caution any strenuous exercise before the test as that could lead to blood in the urine (albeit microscopic).

One thing I would say is regarding the plant based protein you have to be careful as many of these are not tested for heavy metals and contamination. I know for a fact that My Protein do not test for these in their plant based blends.

I would switch to this company who do test their powders for heavy metals and contaminants ( I have no affiliation with them but recommend them to my PT clients).

"On top of this, every batch of Clean Lean Protein is tested for safe microbial activity, allergenic substances and heavy metals. Everything is certified gluten free and GMO free."

dolly

Reaction score
Hi as @Steerie said a protein shake on its own per say as long as its from a reputable brand is unlikely to cause you any issues on the test. What they are looking for is things like Haematuria which is blood in urine, high urea, creatinine etc. A high protein load is more likely to do this. How much protein are you eating per day? I reduced my protein to 120g (still quite a high amount 2 x bodyweight + a bit) and had no issues.

If you want to play it safe (why not) I would cut all extra protein sources other than real natural food, keep hydrated and you'll be fine. Also caution any strenuous exercise before the test as that could lead to blood in the urine (albeit microscopic).

One thing I would say is regarding the plant based protein you have to be careful as many of these are not tested for heavy metals and contamination. I know for a fact that My Protein do not test for these in their plant based blends.

I would switch to this company who do test their powders for heavy metals and contaminants ( I have no affiliation with them but recommend them to my PT clients).

"On top of this, every batch of Clean Lean Protein is tested for safe microbial activity, allergenic substances and heavy metals. Everything is certified gluten free and GMO free."
Thank you very much for the thorough and detailed answer! I really appreciate it. I eat like a horse and don't track my macros, I used to for a while, now I have a rough gauge for food intake, protein wise it's all from natural foods, I'd imagine around 120/40g of protein purely from food.

Thank you for the advice! I shall do as you suggested and keep it natural, and hydrate. That's worrying to realise that and thank you for bringing it to my attention, tastes awful anyway so I'll make the switch to the safer one as you have mentioned. In your opinion is that possibly a red flag for the medical? I can say I had roughly half of the shake, I couldn't finish the rest of it as it wouldn't mix with the water particularly well!

All the best.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No worries, yes chocolate is pretty good!

No I wouldn't say its a red flag, just awful chemical artificial sweetness!

Any 'contaminants' that are in a supplement generally don't have a long half life anyway - ie they are eliminated from system pretty quick unless your a serious doper haha!

Yes so from today - Wednesday just eat natural proteins, drink plenty 2 lites would be a decent amount and just take it easy. I'll be surprised if you have any issues at all.

Also remember that at CTCRM you won't be allowed any supplements at all so by all means use them now if convenient but don't rely on them. So long as protein intake in your diet is sufficient they aren't necessary anyway, more a convenience.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been asked. All the best.
The issue has cropped up before. The search function might return some results.

Someone ingesting protein shakes on the day of the medical might have measurably elevated protein in their urine which can be a marker for certain clinical conditions.

Dickie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just to add:

Working out can also elevate protein in urine. Normal levels should not show on the stick test, But I was TMU due to protein in urine as I worked out recently, 2 days later I was passed fit.

Best case scenario no shakes or workouts the day before to save a TMU.

dolly

Reaction score
No worries, yes chocolate is pretty good!

No I wouldn't say its a red flag, just awful chemical artificial sweetness!

Any 'contaminants' that are in a supplement generally don't have a long half life anyway - ie they are eliminated from system pretty quick unless your a serious doper haha!

Yes so from today - Wednesday just eat natural proteins, drink plenty 2 lites would be a decent amount and just take it easy. I'll be surprised if you have any issues at all.

Also remember that at CTCRM you won't be allowed any supplements at all so by all means use them now if convenient but don't rely on them. So long as protein intake in your diet is sufficient they aren't necessary anyway, more a convenience.
Thank you again for the advice, just to build off this in regards to exercise. Currently itching to do some form of phys, my guidance says no "strenuous exercise", can I get away with a jog/run and some body weight movements like pushups/situps/pullups? Or is it not worth the risk? Thanks again.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you again for the advice, just to build off this in regards to exercise. Currently itching to do some form of phys, my guidance says no "strenuous exercise", can I get away with a jog/run and some body weight movements like pushups/situps/pullups? Or is it not worth the risk? Thanks again.
Probably doesn't worth the risk. I didn't train for 3 days just to make sure. You are not going to lose all your gains if you skip a few days. More likely the opposite if you have been training hard lately.