Protein Shakes - Some advice please.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have just bought 1kg of whey impact protein from myprotein.co.uk and I took it with milk at first, tasted nice as it is rasberry flavour. Then my mates said its ad for you with milk as it clogs up your veins. Then I tried water with it and its the worst taste ever, its unbearable.

Is it really bad for you with milk.

Advice please lads.

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My first purchase was Whey Protein Plain and I tried it with milk and it was revolting, tried it with water and it was still pretty unpleasant. Moved onto Strawberry flavour which I mix with water which is more bearable.

Make sure you're not putting in too much water, no more than 300ml for 2 scoops usually does the trick for me - and I just don't breathe through my nose when i'm drinking it!

oh, I realised I didn't actually ask your question about milk! The back of the tub (a brand from Holland & Barrett) says add with milk or water, so i'm sure it's not a problem.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have just bought 1kg of whey impact protein from myprotin.co.uk and I took it with milk at first, tasted nice as it is rasberry flavour. Then my mates said its ad for you with milk as it clogs up your veins. Then I tried water with it and its the worst taste ever, its unbearable.

Is it really bad for you with milk.

Advice please lads.

No it isnt that bad for you, When i trained weights before i even had apirations to join the marines i took it with water because it easily absorbs into your body better, however its no big deal with milk i wouldnt worry about it, i find it a pain in the ass having milk.. pour some water, hold ya nose and get it down ya gullet.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My first purchase was Whey Protein Plain and I tried it with milk and it was revolting, tried it with water and it was still pretty unpleasant. Moved onto Strawberry flavour which I mix with water which is more bearable.

Make sure you're not putting in too much water, no more than 300ml for 2 scoops usually does the trick for me - and I just don't breathe through my nose when i'm drinking it!

oh, I realised I didn't actually ask your question about milk! The back of the tub (a brand from Holland & Barrett) says add with milk or water, so i'm sure it's not a problem.

yeah these guys i know are obsessed with protein *text deleted* and im not going to have it with water if its disgusting. Its like drinking sea water.
I might try adding half water, half milk. But i cant see a problem with milk, it just takes longer absorbing into your system.

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
like i mentioned, how much liquid are you adding per scoop?

Nintendouche

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Chances are mate you will be already getting most the protein you need without the need for protein shakes. Any protein your body doesn't need it will just convert into sugars or you will just pee it out.

Unless you intend to put on serious muscle i doubt you will really need it as long as you eats foods which are rich in protein such as Cottage cheese and the right meats.

But to answer your original question. No milk will not clog up your veins since milk doesn't run through veins. If he is talking about the build up of cholesterol in the arteries also, just stick to semi skimmed milk(green lid) and keep off the full fat(blue lid)

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Milk is one of the healthiest drinks there is, and most rumours about protein are bull*text deleted**text deleted* anyway, like "you'll get fat if you don't train enough" you won't, you'll just piss it out. Don't listen to what your friends say unless they're qualified somehow, just do whatever tastes best man =)

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I do eat some foods with protein such as eggs and cheese (not cottage cheese)

I have 1 scoop per serving and that is 25 grams of protein.
I take 3 servings per day, one in the morning, one at 4 o'clock and one after my workout and run at about 7.30-8pm.

So thats 75 grams of protein and I am 6 ft 1 inches tall and weigh 10.5 to 11 stone (cant quite remember)

Is that the ideal ammount of protein for me to take then?

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you're skinny as a rake i wouldnt bother, you just want to be lean, fit and strong, if you are still young (e.g at school) your body is still growing so i wouldnt *text deleted**text deleted* around otherwise you could grow unproportiantly which can cause problems in the future.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you're skinny as a rake i wouldnt bother, you just want to be lean, fit and strong, if you are still young (e.g at school) your body is still growing so i wouldnt *text deleted**text deleted* around otherwise you could grow unproportiantly which can cause problems in the future.

Im 17. Dont know if that is young for still growing *text deleted*, i havent grown in ages and dont think I am anymore.

Im a bit skinny but not too skinny, im just average for my height. Im taking it aswell to repair my muscles quicker after workouts and the added bit of muscle will be an advantage for the ladies *text deleted*.

I just thought id try and see if the so called protein shakes work.

Nintendouche

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I do eat some foods with protein such as eggs and cheese (not cottage cheese)

I have 1 scoop per serving and that is 25 grams of protein.
I take 3 servings per day, one in the morning, one at 4 o'clock and one after my workout and run at about 7.30-8pm.

So thats 75 grams of protein and I am 6 ft 1 inches tall and weigh 10.5 to 11 stone (cant quite remember)

Is that the ideal amount of protein for me to take then?

For someone who is 6ft1 should be taking in about 34 up to 66 grams, but if you are doing weight training and regular exercise you still only need 36 up to 67 grams per day. So if your taking 75g a day, there's a high chance your just pissing it away.

considering a small pot of cottage cheese has about 16g grams and most of your food will have protein in. You are more than likely getting your daily amount just on your food.

But if you have serious muscle mass thats the only time you really need it since its hard for people with large muscles and i mean massive muscles to find enough protein and have a healthy diet

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
For someone who is 6ft1 should be taking in about 34 up to 66 grams, but if you are doing weight training and regular exercise you still only need 36 up to 67 grams per day. So if your taking 75g a day, there's a high chance your just pissing it away.

considering a small pot of cottage cheese has about 16g grams and most of your food will have protein in. You are more than likely getting your daily amount just on your food.

But if you have serious muscle mass thats the only time you really need it since its hard for people with large muscles and i mean massive muscles to find enough protein and have a healthy diet

Yeah i might cut down to 2 servings a day or keep it at 3 and take 20 grams *text deleted* i like to spread the servings out equally among my day. Morning, post training, after training.

Thats the best way i think.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im 17. Dont know if that is young for still growing *text deleted*, i havent grown in ages and dont think I am anymore.

Im a bit skinny but not too skinny, im just average for my height. Im taking it aswell to repair my muscles quicker after workouts and the added bit of muscle will be an advantage for the ladies *text deleted*.

I just thought id try and see if the so called protein shakes work.

Well the human body tends to stop developing around the early 20's, you dont stop growing until you get old... and then you start shrinking, apart from your ears.. thats why old men have huge ears.

If you are taking it for recovery after sport then i see no harm in that, as long as you dont start taking it as a meal replacement 3 - 4 times a day you should start to feel some positive results.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well the human body tends to stop developing around the early 20's, you dont stop growing until you get old... and then you start shrinking, apart from your ears.. thats why old men have huge ears.

If you are taking it for recovery after sport then i see no harm in that, as long as you dont start taking it as a meal replacement 3 - 4 times a day you should start to feel some positive results.

Yeah thats why im taking it.

Il see if it works then *text deleted*, hope it does because then thats not a waste of money.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
make sure you drink PLENTY of water throughout the day, otherwise you just piss it out and its a waste of money.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
make sure you drink PLENTY of water throughout the day, otherwise you just piss it out and its a waste of money.

*text deleted* tried drinking 8 glasses a day and I need the toilet every half hour, its so annoying *text deleted*. Im sitting in class then need a piss then im in the next class and need it again.

Dont know but my bladder is a fast digesting *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** *text deleted*, i drink then within half hour i need a piss *text deleted*.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Skimmed through this thread,and first of all. Jesus..... Please dont listen to you mate "It will clog your veins". I assume he can only mean cholesterol,and even though having milk with a shake will not harm you at all. People know far too little about cholesterol and what effecets it.

Dont worry about protien being 'bad for you',or pissing it all away. Its all rubbish. Theres far more too it than that,having one protien shake after a workout will do nothing but good.

Just keep it simple mate,eat a good diet,lots of carbs ,protien and fruit and veg. Have a shake after a heavy workout and thats it.

rety

Reaction score
since when did you piss away protien? if you are eating excess protien then it will be stored as fat (like anything you eat). if you eat more calories than you burn then it is stored as fat.

and as for thinking you can get huge by drinking protien shakes you are wrong, it isn't magic, protien is in lots of things that you eat anyway, the whole point of them is the convinience, its no different to having a bit of chicken. you need to be doing the right kind of weight training to get big and even then it will take a good few months

dont know where you get all this info from :worried:

SatanSmiling

Reaction score
First of all, never listen to mates that give you silly advice like "vein clogging" without double checking on some reputable websites. I'd recommend going to bodybuilding.com and reading a couple of their articles on protein and supplements. Those guys know what they're talking about. Bodybuilding.com - Huge Nutrition Article Database!
Some idiot once told me that you shouldn't have creatine and protein shakes together as it *text deleted* up your liver - which is false unless you REALLY abuse the powders.
Also, too much excess protein will make you fatter, but some of it does get pissed out as well.
The rule of thumb, if you're pumping weights, to the amount of protein in grams you should take per day is your weight in kg. So if you weigh 70kg, try and take in 70g of protein per day. Otherwise, Sam Forrester's suggestion is perfect.
On a personal note, I'd recommend Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey, as it has the highest percentage of protein to powder of any commercial product. It's also fairly well priced. I've been on it exclusively for well over 2 years.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
On bodybuilding.com it says or every 1lb of bodyweight you want 1g to 1.5g of protein per day if you're doing weights to pack on muscle. :worried: I weigh 180lbs or about 82kg....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ThomasWotsits Protein shakes Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 6
MusserGoat Medical - Protein Shakes Training Plans and Diet Suggestions 11
12Will12 Protein Shakes? Jollies Bar 14