Protein shakes

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by ThomasWotsits, Oct 24, 2018.

1. ThomasWotsits

ThomasWotsits New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I know protein shakes are not allowed during RT. And know that i should not drink them a week before my medical, but should i still use them. I used optimum nutrition serious mass as it has lots of carbs and protein, I'm currently using it because its an easy way to get protein amd carbs after workouts. I would like to know if people used them before RT and if you use or used them after passing out?

2. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I know a lot of people say you shouldn’t rely on them during your training but I’ve been using a mass gainer for 6 months to try and put on some weight. I have a very active job so with training it’s, as you said, a cheap and quick way to get the carbs and protein in.

I see no issue with it as in recruit training it’s basically replaced with 4 meals a day.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198027/
    I would suggest you read some research into protein/ energy drinks..

Majority of them are just caffeine based drinks that interact with certain GABA receptors in the brain, however, the perceived boost is a placebo, mate. The very mention of an protein drink will be enough to create it.

I'd steer clear from them and allow the body to get fit on its own metabolism and its own energy, as opposed to ameliorating it with energy drinks. Remember; tiredness is a state of mind that one can overcome.

Best wishes
    The Creature of the Night.

• Like Like x 2
  4. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    We are discussing protein/carb based drinks to aid recover not pre work out drinks or energy drinks. There are plenty of shakes on the market with a good ingredient list, mine has zero caffeine and often take it before bed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I use PHD lean chocolate. Great after deadlifts, leg press and other resistance exercises. I take it 20 mins after or 45mins before exercise, blended with milk, kale, broccoli and ginger. Sean Lerwill mentioned doing this on his podcast. Sounds revolting but you don't actally notice the taste of the greens but get all the benefits. I only supplement after heavy resistance training, so I only use it once or twice a week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I use PhD Diet whey with kale, spinach and broccoli stem along with 35g of oats, breakfast of champions!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I do apologise mate.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561416300711 an interesting article demonstrating the benefits of protein drinks; and what to add to them (I'm a scientist; so if I can't see or measure it, I deny it exists. However, this article seems legit)

So I'll take back what I implied though, I'd be interested to see what effect sthey have on GABA A and GABA B receptors Always room for research though, for now, I'll for us on getting into the RMR

Best wishes
    The creature of the night