Protien

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

Do you think its worth getting protein shakes or do you think there a waste of time? :dontaskme:

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have a protein shake with a banana straight after my weights/circuits sessions. Protein shakes have get lot of bad press on this site but the thing u hav to remember is they aren't magic powders, nor do they claim to be, it is only protein, exactly the same as u find in chicken, tuna etc. The thing that differs with powder is the speed of digestion. After you've done an hour of resisitance work, your muscles are screaming for protein so they can start the rebuilding process and protein shakes are an easy, convenient and appropriate post-workout meal. Your recovery for the next session begins the moment u finsish *text deleted* workout so the quicker you can get sum fast-digesting protein and carbs down *text deleted* neck the better

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you dont really need them if you have a well balanced diet unless your lifting heavy weights and going for the big muscles

Yes whey protein is faster than the casein you find in your meats etc.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
KK just woundered because i do hear alot of bad press to them but my dad has very strong upper body strengh and massive arm he drinks protein shakes arfter his work out up the gym and when i go with he usally gives me a pint of it 2 but i just woundered wether it was worth it but i sopose it cant do any harm :bud:

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You need to have some sort of goal, from your above post ive got the impression you want to try protein shake for the sake of taking it...
If you want to promote muscle growth then a good protein source and amino acids intake is good, Buts it realy isnt important.. Its not going to make a dramatic impact, Takes time for your body to adjust to a high protein intake, Unless you have a good 6-8 months and have a goal to speed muscle recovery and growth then go for it. Other than that its pretty pointless without knowing how you want to implement it into your routine. Been religious to one protein powder, optimum 100% for a few years now... seen some great results over the years ive been lifting weights. However in the training perioud you really dont want to be aiming for the bulked look.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
to be honest i drink them because i know i dont get enough protein in my diet. i had a look at an average day and the intake was pretty poor.
but to be honest if you wana try them then ask your dad if you can have one after a workout one day and you will see what they are like. nothing special. but only have them if your really into body building or you dont get a lot of protien

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you dont really need them if you have a well balanced diet unless your lifting heavy weights and going for the big muscles

Yes whey protein is faster than the casein you find in your meats etc.
Eh? Casien is a type of protein, and it is found in dairy foods not meat.

I think a Protein shake will be valuable if your not getting enough protein already, it will certainly help after a workout(along with some quick carbs) as your muscles have just been battered and if stimulated well, will start growing.

So yes but Protein is just protein it's not a magical supplement(or like Creatine etc) like some people think, it's just like eating a piece of meat(without the other benefits of the meat) or eggs(with equivalent servings) and is just a SUPPLEMENT.

And if you're going to buy some I'd reccomend places like Myprotein/Bulkpowders instead of Commercial brands as they're a rip.

Good luck.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Protein shakes are a BIG convenience but they aren't necessary. If you can get enough protein from food alright then they aren't really needed.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again, apologies for repeating old tales, but I've known people temporarily fail medical for extremely high protein levels in their urine because of taking protein shakes beforehand.

The clue in their actual worth is the evidence that the body clearly doesn't absorb much if it passes through the urinary tract and gives such high readings. No-one doubts they have protein in them, but the question is whether it's absorbed in a beneficial manner. If I owned a company that made them or sold them, I would of course claim otherwise.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've also heard that the body can only digest a certain amount of protein in one sitting and that the rest will go to waste. So if you are taking protein shakes it's pointless having them near meal times.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've also heard that the body can only digest a certain amount of protein in one sitting and that the rest will go to waste. So if you are taking protein shakes it's pointless having them near meal times.
OT: You the same Woody on BB.com?

matt

Reaction score
One important thing to remember about protein shakes (or any other supplements) is that you can't use them at CTC, so do you really want to become reliant on using them? It would probably be better in the long run to just improve your protein intake in the food you eat, remembering that the body can only absorb 2g per kg of bodyweight.

Just a thought,

Matt

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Good point matt, introduce different things into your diet if you can, things like chicken is obviously a given but white fish, tuna and turkey. Cous cous is a good source of protein i think as well.

RC

Reaction score
One important thing to remember about protein shakes (or any other supplements) is that you can't use them at CTC, so do you really want to become reliant on using them? It would probably be better in the long run to just improve your protein intake in the food you eat, remembering that the body can only absorb 2g per kg of bodyweight.

Just a thought,

Matt
I'm pretty sure you can use PROTEIN supplements at CTC ( you can buy them in the Spar ).

It may depend on your training team ???

Rich.

sooty795

Reaction score
i was told by my training team no supplements what so ever, except for the odd vitiman. as far as i am aware it`s the same for the whole of CTC, i never saw them in the spar when i was there but that was a few years back and things could have changed.