PS3 vs XBox 360

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My computer is getting old now, so i'm thinking of buying a PS3, 360 or the 360 Elite.

There is only a handful of games i want for it and they are on both consoles.

What i'm divering about is the graphics (PS3's are said to be better), i hate the PS3 controller but i love the X-Box 360's, most of my mates have complained about the X-Box breaking.

Also some other bits but i can't remember.

Nintendouche

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have both, i got the PS3 since i was a PS1 and 2 fan.

I bought the 360 because it was cheap and had a few games i wanted for it.

I have played the PS3 about 3 times and i am always on my 360 now!

the GFX are the same basically dont be sucked into the fanboy superior vision they seem to have where they say one is better than the other. The PS3 controller to me is to light and since i have big hands the 360 fits nicer for me.

It seems i am just hating on the PS3 but there are a few good things about it, you can change the hard drive easier and you can put in any harddrive which is cheaper than the 360 hard drive but if you are getting an Elite which has the 120gb thats not a problem for you. The PS3 has a Blu-ray player aswel which is a bonus if you want to waste your money on the blu ray films for it.

Now with the 360 you can add your games to the hard drive but you will have to have the disk in to stop piracy but it makes it stealth quiet.

Another thing is the Elite has the new chip in and new board which fixed the original problem with the older 360's saying that though i have the old 360 and ive never had no problem with it.

Game wise i like the 360 selection and they are also a bit cheaper than the PS3 counterpart.

I forgot to mention about the online

the 360 has a subscription for about £40 a year but its worth it defo since the PSN is laggy for me and every server is full of idiots, there's also idiots on the 360 aswel but a lot less.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a 360 elite, i love it, but I've had 4 *text deleted* didn't pay a penny extra just kept taking it back whenever something went wrong. The graphics are pretty much the same i really can't tell the difference after playing both. but in the long run a ps3 is probably less hassle and the online play is free, you have to pay for xbox live which sucks. If i didn't have a 360 I'd buy a ps3, haven't heard of them having any problems so far. I'm also a little bitter about having to pay to play online when the xbox connects directly to the Internet through your computer but your paying to access your Internet? Conn if you ask me.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just to clarify after reading the above post, I've not had a problem with my elite so far but i had 3 originals and made a big deal about it and then they gave me an elite but i had to buy the hard drive separately but i still saved a lot of money because i didn't actually buy the xbox.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
get a 360 elite. Better graphics, more games, better online community and better graphics. Gears 2, Halo series for example are games the ps3 will never have. I'm annoyed tho, no MGS4 for the 360 :(.

However, it has been pishing me off recently, it has broken down before, I'm on my 4th xbox now >.<.

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
However, it has been pishing me off recently, it has broken down before, I'm on my 4th xbox now >.<.

Is it the elite that broke for you, or the arcade/premium?

I'm really stuck between the two. I'm not too fussed about online play, theres just a few games that i want to play for now. £40 a year for online play sounds good to me though.

The only thing that is stopping me is the controllers and my mate and the console breaking, as i find the X-Box 360's more comfortable, my mate wants me to get a PS3 so we can play eachother online and i don't want to be spending more money if the 360 breaks, all those stories that i've heard about them breaking down has made me cautious.

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the 360 elite breaking down, I've had my elite for a year come december with no problems so far (touch wood). i started out with the premium version and had 2 of them because of the red ring and another because the eye stopped working, then i got the elite and it's been fine. still.. having to pay to use your internet? hmmm frustrates me a little, but i suppose you pay for the better service, the online community is better than the ps3.

foggers

Reaction score
Xbox live is a lot better than PS Network.

And finding your way around on the PS Network is a job and a half and you have to load, download and install all kinds of things.

PS3 also installs games onto the harddrive which takes a while. But it is fun, you can also get games from abroad since they are not region encoded (but the bluray dvds are). PS3 uses less power I think and is really quiet.

But the xbox 360 seems alot better.

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I might go with the X-Box 360 Elite and get the PlayStation 3 later on in the year or something.

Its been a hard choice but after browsing various websites and your posts i think i have made up my mind.

Thanks again for your help, don't know where i would be without you guys.:love:

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I Got a 60GB premium console with Gears of War and Gears of War 2, as i heard it was reliable. Can anyone clerify that?

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is it the elite that broke for you, or the arcade/premium?

The first 3 were core versions (earliest model) and the 4th is a premium, hasn't died on me yet *fingers crossed*

If you go for xbox definitely go for elite, better reliabilty, bigger hard drive (80 gigs i thing) and it looks sh*t hot.

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
120GB and HDMI on the Elite Console and yeah it does look sh*t hot. Not sure about better realiability though, the 60GB was released after the Elite and they don't have much of a specs difference, so if i was to get a 360 it would probably be the 60GB although i do want HD.

I'm strongly considering a PlaySation 3, as from a comparison video of TES4:Oblivion, the in-game graphics and objects seem to come into view alot faster and further out than the XBox 360 + i want Resistance 2, but then i would be missing out on GoW1+2, Halo 3 and Fable II.

Either way i'm *text deleted* get the other console later on in 2009. So i have actually narrowed it down to - if i want all the games on my list now, then get a PS3, or if i want to play GoW2, Halo 3 and Fable II now and get the other games on PlayStation 3 later, then get a XBox 360 Premium/Elite

Edit: Check this video and pause it at around about 7:19, tell me whats missing from the picture on XBox 360. YouTube - Ps3 vs Xbox360 Comparison

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Physically, (and logically), the PS3 does have better graphics capabilities, faster processor etc, that is just the fact. However, most of the games that are released for both generally look the same anyway, so it is really up to you.

So they both have a very similar selection for games, but I have been told that in a few years the PS3 will start pulling out ahead of the Xbox 360, and using more of its capabilities that it has, giving it the edge in games, but that remains to be seen.

Xbox live has a much better and more integrated online community by the way, but then again the PS3 online is free and it's pretty much much just as good depending on the game you have. I tend to find the PS3 joypad a lot less bulkier than the 360 one and easier too use. Then you look at SIXAXIS which is neat, blueRay and HD support...

I have a PS3 by the way.

karatydude123

Reaction score
the x box is brill if you ask me,the only problem is the red ring of death which breaks your x box but you have two be unlucky to get one any way so x box rules!.as for the graphics the ps3 is susspose two be only 3% better any ways.

Feza685

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i have always been ps2 fan and said i would get a ps3 and neva get an xbox nw here i am with an x box and i find them much better. ps3 controlls dont vibrate!

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
^adding to that, you can only go in 8 directions on the PS3, whereas on the 360 you can in any direction that the pixels on your screen will permit.

One thing i'm puzzled about of the xbox 360 is it's name. Why the hell is it called a xbox '360'? what's so circular about it?

Does xbox 2 not sound so good in comparison to PS3 or something?

SandTiger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
^adding to that, you can only go in 8 directions on the PS3, whereas on the 360 you can in any direction that the pixels on your screen will permit.

What do you meen by that, i don't understand?

One thing i'm puzzled about of the xbox 360 is it's name. Why the hell is it called a xbox '360'? what's so circular about it?

Because it goes round from Microsoft, to store, to customer, then all the way back to microsoft again?

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I get my Xbox back today!!

Add me: CallumCDO

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G XBOX 360 Vs PS3? Jollies Bar 17
Dickie battlefield 1943 ps3 anyone? Jollies Bar 1
Dickie Dead Island PS3 Jollies Bar 0