Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Psychometric Test (2012)

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by JustMe, May 15, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Passed my psychometric today lads! I know it's eff all in comparison with all you way down the application process, but I suppose everyone was there once!

I'm feeling as if I'm taking A LOT away from these forums, whilst giving back relatively little, so I'll try and give some pointers/tips for those who haven't taken it yet.

Firstly, (this will sound like boasting, but it's actually the opposite), I got straight As and A*s at GCSE, and the same at A level, and found it difficult. So don't think an academic background will allow you to sail through it. Secondly, don't make the mistake of thinking the Mechanical Comprehension is extremely basic, intuitive stuff. For example, if you look at the first example in the booklet given to you by your AFCO, the one which asks which line would pull the boat over easier (or an approximation of that), the test doesn't consist of 30 questions as intuitively easy as that. Most of them do take some thinking, so ensure you revise appropriately.

I'd also say don't underestimate the maths, again, it's not 30 questions such as 'what's half of 30', 'what's 10% of 100', there's some that take some working out (i.e. not all mental arithmetic).

With the English section, I really don't know what to advice as I didn't seem to struggle on it. If you don't recognise the words that come up, hazard an educated guess. Speak the sentence through in your head a couple of times and just gage which one 'feels' right when spoken. By doing this you should be able to certainly rule out at least one (often 2, sometimes even 3) of the 4 choices available, so you can narrow your field of guessing.

I suppose other than that, when you have a minute r maybe 30 seconds left (there's a clock on the wall, I also wore a digital watch), then any that you haven't gave an answer for, read quickly again and hazard your best guess. If your mind's literally blank, tick one at random, but make sure you do tick one as you got a one in 4 or 5 chance of gaining a mark!

I had 2 weeks to wait for my test, but rang and put it back a couple more weeks to give myself time to revise. Though I'm glad I did this, as I ended up passing with enough for officer, in retrospect it probably wasn't essential.

...oh and to anticipate the question - there was 8 of us, one who I spoke to after failed, and I don't know about the rest. And to anticipate another question, I wore casual clothing (smart polo, dark jeans, desert boots), as did 4 others, and 3 wore suits/shirts/trousers etc.

Sorry for a ridiculously long post on a relatively small aspect of the application procedure, but like I said, I utilised all the threads on the Recruit Test before hand, and it seemed to pay off.

Any questions, feel free to ask away :).

2. Hopefulfutureroyalmarine

Hopefulfutureroyalmarine Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Well done on passing:

2 questions- Is there any particular reason as to why you are not going for officer? As you are evidently acedemically capable

What sort of maths question were there that needed actual working out time, can you give any examples?

3. dbar8886

dbar8886 Valuable Contributor

What worked best for you when revising? Those online ones that ninja posted a while back? Any recommendations?

4. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

dbar8886: I know I may take some flak for this as some don't think it's worth the money, but I bought the 'How 2 Become A Royal Marines Commando' book from the 'How2Become' series, which contains loads of practise examples. In fact it contains 2 whole, full practise tests, which you can time yourself on as if the real thing. I'd say the examples in the book are slightly easier than the real thing (but not by a long way), and for ?5 odd, if you have it to spare it's a really worthwhile buy as far as preparation for the test goes. It can be found with a quick search on Amazon. I also used some of the links Ninja posted up, as well as a fair bit of the Bbc Bitesize Science and Maths. Obviously after initially looking at the AFCO booklet, I made sure I could confidently tackle rounding of to decimal places, and rounding off to significant figures, as well as long multiplication, long subtraction, and timesing and dividing fractions. For Mechanical Comprehension in particular, I found these websites to be extremely good revision tools:
    http://www.education.com/reference/article/part-8-mechanical-comprehension/
    http://www.psychometric-success.com/faq/faq-mechanical-comprehension-tests.htm
    http://www.proprofs.com/flashcards/cardshowall.php?title=astb-mechanical-comprehension-test

Hopefulfutureroyalmarine: Thanks mate.
    As for the officer thing, in all honesty I'm still making up my mind etc, at the moment though I just feel I'm better being lead than being a leader myself. Though I may be academically able, I'm not sure if I'm physically and mentally able.
    You get 16 minutes for the Maths section. Which I found was more than enough. I had time to do every single one, then go back over every single one and fully work it out again to derive the same/or a different answer. Umm, Ninja will have to poke his helpful and informative nose it here to tell me what I am and am not allowed to say(!), but I'd say none of the Maths was past a C grade GCSE level, and that whilst some questions I knew the answer as I was reading them, some I put a '?' next to and had a go at the end, and some I knew I could do, but left until the end to do easier/quicker/ones which didn't require full on pencil working out ones first. So for example in the booklet, I would have just left '44 x 28' to the end (knowing I could do it but not immediately in my head), and completed, for example, '1/2 x 1/5' and 'If x = 15 and y = 70, then y - x =' immediately as those can be done in literally about 4 or 5 seconds each. That's how I managed to leave myself considerable time at the end to make sure I didn't eff up on the longer ones, instead of just flapping because I couldn't do every single question immediately in my head.

Anything else, just ask.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Well done, good effort.

Probably sone of the most helpful contributed posts with regard the Recruiting Tests we've seen for a good while - thankyou.

I'll extract a few quotes & add them to the initial practice test thread, for those that follow.

Now you've raised the bar with regard the quality & content of useful advice, we very much look forward to your progression through selection, if & as you're able - so no pressure there then, eh? :huh:

6. Seraphimgaz

Seraphimgaz Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for a thread like this to come along for ages, thanks justme. Definately helping me with revision!

7. Dan Felix

Dan Felix Well-Known Member

Good man, told you you'd sort it buddy!
    I've done the eye test and just waiting for the AFCO to get back to me w/regards to a medical date (I think 30th is on the cards)

8. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Glad to help Seraphimgaz :). When's your test?

Cheers Dan, thanks for the encouragement etc beforehand too, it payed off! I'm going to sort the medical stuff they gave me today, try and get down boots either today or tomorrow!

Ninja, I now consider myself in an extremely privileged position haha! Seriously though, best seriously up the phys with the tonnage of pressure you've just applied :/ *gulps*.

9. Seraphimgaz

well im heading in to the AFCO to start my application tomorrow... so a few weeks i guess haha

10. OneMoreWrap

OneMoreWrap Venerated Contributor

Good man! Good luck with it all

11. Rabbit

Rabbit New Member

Checked that one out too as part of my research. I would say that the practice psyches are the only thing that it is worth getting that book for. I won't knock you for having bought it but I thought some of the advice given was some kind of malpractice. I mean really? Don't go to the gym? You darn well do whatever makes you strong enough whether it is going to the gym or doing circuits at home, in my opinion.

12. Seraphimgaz

Cheers mate, just thought its been my dream for years, crack on haha

13. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

I agree Rabbit. The test question examples, which comprise the bulk of the book, was the only reason I bought it.

For phys/interview/prmc/any other advice, I'll use other sources online etc rather than that book. You can tell it's poorly put together, not written by the 'professionals' or 'experts' (as it claims it is), and consists of information a very basic and un-searching Google search would throw up.

14. Dan Felix

No worries pal.
    I'm still waiting for a date...just phoned the AFCO and somehow the person there had no details of me!! Grr...

15. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Waiting for a date for what Dan, the medical you mean?

Hopefully if I get the eyes sorted tomorrow and send back the med forms they'll sort it their end and I'll be on my way to a PJFT! Need to get my run times down first though. They seemed fine with me putting back by Psychometric to give myself more time to revise, obviously I don't want to do that at every stage etc but it's good to know they allow you time and all the rest of it.

Out of interest, what's your stats looking like now mate?

16. Dan Felix

Indeed waiting for the medical.
    Tis frustrating as the Docs is just up road from me too :(.

I was pleasantly surprised with my eyes... as I failed to pass the RAF (pilot) one quite some years ago... but seemingly I have improved eyesight with age!! (Not so much time for xbox these days!)

How are your runs coming along... My endurance has improved significantly, been throwing out 3 milers in 20-21 as a warm up before hitting the gym...and the occasional 10k (which I got my PB of 43:28 last week)... Just need to work on return speed. <10 min is fine, but *text deleted**text deleted** really push hard for <9... Seems I hit a wall if I push much harder than 9mph.

With regards to upper body stuff.. I've not yet spent one day doing a mock RM test.. usually do the 2 x 1.5 as a warm up...do my workout then finish off with the sit ups/push ups/pulls ups etc. With those... I do 70+ sit ups, 40-55 push ups (usually after chest work session so not so worried), and 4 x 8 pull up sets (which I try to vary between wide and tight arm ones...)

The pull ups I struggled with at first... as I weighed almost 16stone when I started... but they've come along fine just through weight loss really.

How about you mate?

17. RayManUK

RayManUK New Member

Nice to see a post on the RT as I'm heading up to my AFCO in June to undertake it! Pretty apprehensive... I'm confident with the whole english side, i.e reasoning, verbal etc and I think with a bit more revising my mechanical will be strong to but its just my maths, I struggle with it quite badly. any tips?

18. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

Dan: that's some really good stats mate, assuming, like me that you've only been training a few weeks? Nice one and keep it up!
    Roughly, I'm hitting 45-50 press ups, 65 sit ups, and 5-6 pull ups. I lapsed on my running for a couple of weeks and was massively surprised with how little time it took for my fitness to deteriorate! Before psychometric, I was coming in on the return around 10 dead, did one yesterday (tread mill), and returned in 11:50!! That's what I did the first leg out in!!

All good though, *text deleted**text deleted** do another tomorrow and get the running right back on with the upper body stuff. Booked eye test today, got it tomorrow lunchtime, so *text deleted**text deleted** do it and hand it straight into the AFCO. Having passed even ONE small stage in the application process brings excitement to it all I reckon. Doesn't seem so much like a distant dream now, but very much an actuality! Long way to go though I know...

RayManUk: have you booked it mate? How badly do you struggle... do you have a GCSE in it? For the maths, there was nothing in there that was more difficult than any of the maths questions from the practise booklet, however, there was topics that the book didn't cover. Have a good look over the maths GCSE stuff on Bbs Bitesize. I'd say fully familiarise yourself with your X tables, because it makes everything quicker when you have to work things out etc. And for every question in the booklet, give yourself (or get someone else to give you) a full sheet of questions of the same format. So for example in the booklet there's a long multiplication question, so learn the technique, then employ said technique by completing a full sheet of long multiplication questions. The book's question remain in the tens and units, but if that's going fine, crack out a few hundred ones - making things slightly more difficult/uncomfortable for yourself will only be beneficial, just like in training. Likewise for all the others, the round to significant figures, simple algebra...etc etc.

Any other questions, just ask.

19. Dan Felix

Well... not trained directly for this... hammered my weight down 3 stone in 3/4 months... So lost muscle and fat..
    Doing weight training as well as circuits and stuff now... so hopefully maintain current weight and up the stats ready for Sept.

30th May I've got the medical... hopefully will all be well!

20. JustMe

JustMe Well-Known Member

I handed in my eye test results/medical form directly on Friday... you have to wait that long for a medical? You did the RT a couple of weeks before me, assuming you did the eye test fairly quickly afterwards, then that's what, 3 weeks for the medical date?

I suppose it's a good in a way though because within 28 days of that you have to do the PJFT, and you will have got your time even further down!