Psychometric test fail

zimboi22

Reaction score
Afternoon gents received my results for my psychometric test I took last week. Sadly didn't get the required score for an officer but passed if I wanted to go as a commando. Have the option to retake in 4 weeks time. Now at a bit of a crossroad whether to go in as a commando or retake the test and study a lot harder. Say I went in as a commando what are the possibilities of making officer training if I joined as a commando?

many thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Afternoon gents received my results for my psychometric test I took last week. Sadly didn't get the required score for an officer but passed if I wanted to go as a commando. Have the option to retake in 4 weeks time. Now at a bit of a crossroad whether to go in as a commando or retake the test and study a lot harder. Say I went in as a commando what are the possibilities of making officer training if I joined as a commando?

many thanks
If you are 100% motivated to become an RM YO then the quickest way to achieve it, is by joining as one.

Corps Commissions are feasible, although the odds of passing selection are much reduced as the talent pool is much deeper and a much smaller number permitted (be aware <10% of the RMYO intake are Corps Commission) ...and you are effectively competing against fellow Royal Marines Commandos who are also fully prepared to not only undergo training all over again from scratch, but also undergo training again, for not far short of a period that's twice as long as the Other Rank route and with twice the odds of picking-up an injury which could result in medical discharge. It's a much higher risk strategy and one that although achievable, carries with it far greater training risks.

Retake in 4 weeks. Every time.

zimboi22

Reaction score
Thanks mate appreciate that,
Regarding time serving as a commando until i could have the opportunity to try for officer, how long will that roughly be?
Heard I could be stuck as a commando for 2-3 years.

my gap year options are very limited so I would ideally like to go as a commando end of this year once I receive my A levels.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks mate appreciate that,
Regarding time serving as a commando until i could have the opportunity to try for officer, how long will that roughly be?
Heard I could be stuck as a commando for 2-3 years.

my gap year options are very limited so I would ideally like to go as a commando end of this year once I receive my A levels.
Your terminology is slightly off! The correct terms are Other Ranks, (OR), or officer. Both complete the Commando Course and if successful are awarded the Green Beret and are commando trained.

As others have pointed out, if you want to be an officer, join as one. One other point, which I believe is still relevant, is that those ORs who are considered suitable for a Corps Commission start the 15 month training from scratch and if they fail are not allowed to revert to their OR status. In short they're out! (Happy to be corrected on this).

Alan

Aerial

Reaction score
If officer is what you really want, study hard and retake the test in four weeks. If you don't have the time to study now, wait until your A-Levels are over.

Four weeks of hard study is nothing compared to the 32 weeks of OR training followed by 60+ weeks of YO training you'd need to do even if you were selected for a Corps Commission (which is far from guaranteed).

Even if you don't get selected as an officer, hopefully you don't see a career being 'stuck' as an OR as a bad thing! There are great opportunities there, and life is what you make it.

zimboi22

Reaction score
Your terminology is slightly off! The correct terms are Other Ranks, (OR), or officer. Both complete the Commando Course and if successful are awarded the Green Beret and are commando trained.

As others have pointed out, if you want to be an officer, join as one. One other point, which I believe is still relevant, is that those ORs who are considered suitable for a Corps Commission start the 15 month training from scratch and if they fail are not allowed to revert to their OR status. In short they're out! (Happy to be corrected on this).

Alan
Apologies regarding my terminology, thanks for the correction.

Think I will be pushing towards going in as an OR end of this year, gap year options are very limited due to COVID and uncertainty. Appreciate the info regarding the route from OR to YO, am happy to take the "harder route".

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Apologies regarding my terminology, thanks for the correction.

Think I will be pushing towards going in as an OR end of this year, gap year options are very limited due to COVID and uncertainty. Appreciate the info regarding the route from OR to YO, am happy to take the "harder route".
Good to hear. One last thing is that the Corps will select those suitable for a Corps Commission, not the other way round. My advice is to join, get through the minimum of 36 weeks training, including ROP, serve in a Unit and impress your Boss and then see what happens.

Alan

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
RT is valid for 3 years from date of taking it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Nah. I meant the retry for the psychometric test.
Yep, it used to be but, like many aspects of selection it's changed.

Have a feeling the validity period of the recruit test either has or is changing also. Also the number of retakes permitted has changed.

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
Yep, it used to be but, like many aspects of selection it's changed.

Have a feeling the validity period of the recruit test either has or is changing also. Also the number of retakes permitted has changed.
That's wonderful news. I tried to enlist back in 2017 or so, and I I didn't reach the score I wanted to for the role I wanted. Was told to come back in a year. That's so relieving.