Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Public services

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by J20012001, Feb 6, 2019.

1. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Alright fellas,
    For this college year I’ve been doing a L2 public services course and honestly it has been absolutely miserable. I have the option to leave tomorrow and seriously considering it.

Pros
    1. Keeps me busy
    2. Better CV
    3. If I leave it looks like I’ve done nothing all year
    4. 3 months left

Cons
    1. This forum has said it’s a useless Qual.
    2. Our “Fitness for forces” is literally badminton not *text deleted*ing kidding
    3. Coursework is not related to the marines whatsoever not even the armed forces
    4. Generally draining and is miserable since everyone else is just cashing in on EMA

As far as things to replace it I could reorganise my fitness schedule and start climbing and have more shifts in work.
    So what do we reckon lads?

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Arguably, the two points above answer your own question.

From memory, mixed opinions have been expressed. Not all negative.
    Hopefully others will chip in with their own comments.

• Like Like x 1
  3. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks, sorry if it seems a bit muddled, I’m just not really sure about what to do.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I guess that my response is that of a 58-year-old bloke who has stuck at jobs he despised through practical necessity. Doesn't mean you have to do the same though.

How about jotting down some notes about the specific reasons why you feel dissatisfied with your course and then requesting a meeting with the agency that provides the course?

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Bite the bullet and do the three months. The pros you have listed far outweigh the cons.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    To be fair, it is only 13 weeks...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

Finish the course mate. Always better to have as many quals behind you as possible. I did the same course before I joined, well worth doing in my opinion will help open a doorway into the public services should you wish to go that way after the corps.

8. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Ultimately it's down to you what you do, however I would recommend going on to do the L3 as well. I'm just about to finish my second year of the L3 course.

Whilst it doesn't specifically relate to the marines it does give you a good insite on how the country runs as a whole. Throughout the L3 I have studied things such as War and Conflict, Policing and politics amongst other things. You also get to do your own research project into any topic you want within reason. I'm doing mine on whether we should routinely arm police.You get some decent trips as well, I just came back from a tour of the Royal Courts of Justice in London today, next month I'm going to an army site in Colchester for a week, and the month after that I'm going to be doing public order training with the Met's TSG down in Gravesend.

One other thing to consider is that if the marines doesn't work out for you, you will have a qualification to help with other things. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Difficult shout.

Educational Qualifications should always be viewed as money in the bank but equally if the aspiration is to join up, then a two year prep course isn't necessary. If it was, the minimum age to apply would be 18.

Horses for courses, I guess but in any event, from personal experience, NEVER jib one thing before you have a guaranteed next thing.

I did, got knocked-back a year at medical (migraine) & spent a year unemployed before joining the regular RN.

• Like Like x 2
  10. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I’ve took all of this into consideration and I’m going to do a proper pros and cons list as chelonian said so many thanks to everyone who posted their opinion.

11. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

Being younger you would find its better to complete what you are doing so that you can show you can stick to something you dont enjoy. Likewise if you quit you arent showing any will power to see things through and likewise will have to find other examples to use at your interview.

I was in the same situation as you but on the 2 year course level 3. Just see it through its only 3 months.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nrfk21

Nrfk21 Member

It's 3 months, crack on.

• Like Like x 1