Pull/Chin-ups

Occams Chainsaw

Reaction score
I was using an overhand grip earlier and found that it was:
1) more difficult and;
2) working my forearms more than anything else.

The underhand grip seems to be working my biceps and are significantly easier.

Which is better? Is the discrepency because I'm performing one wrong? I use a pull up bar under my bedroom door frame, cross ankles and bend at knee with feet behind me, use a grip just wider than shoulder width, pull up from fully stretched to my upper sternum then back again.

Steerner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I use them during my pull-up programme, always mix up the style but spend most of my time practicing the marine pull-up. No point in not being able to do the requirement! If it was easy everyone would do it

Occams Chainsaw

Reaction score
I wish there was an area I could practice the marine pull-up in. I'll have to go find one. Maybe a tree or something!

Steerner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well as long as you're not swinging, going from dead hang to chin well above the bar with the pronated grip on the bar, it doesn't matter if your legs are bent or straight. As long as there is no movement in the hip then there is no difference between the two.

iLikeTurtles

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
at my gym they have a pullup machine and fixed bars to the wall and other areas (frames etc...), what really does the machine do? should i avoid it and stick to the fixed ones?

Steerner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From your description it sounds like a crossfit rig? Or do you mean a pull-up assistance machine? Where you can add weight to help you? Reverse of a normal machine, add more weight and the easier it gets

iLikeTurtles

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
From your description it sounds like a crossfit rig? Or do you mean a pull-up assistance machine? Where you can add weight to help you? Reverse of a normal machine, add more weight and the easier it gets

*text deleted* thats what it will be, is it worth using?

Steerner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah if you aren't very confident with pull-ups, or after your main set good for smashing some more out. I used it with clients who couldn't perform a pull-up and progressed by steadily taking away weight making it harder

Wolfie.

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Is he referring to the lat pull-down machine? Should superset them in workouts with varying grips of pull up

Steerner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is he referring to the lat pull-down machine? Should superset them in workouts with varying grips of pull up
Nah I think what he means is the assisted pull up machine? Where you have a padded mat to rest your knees on as you pull-up? I think

Wolfie.

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Nah I think what he means is the assisted pull up machine? Where you have a padded mat to rest your knees on as you pull-up? I think

They sound so sketchy! Surely an assistance band is better?!

Steerner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I actually like it! Yeah I have recently got my girlfriend using resistance band it works quite well. Both are similar ideas and both would work! Machine is already in the gym and band you have to buy

iLikeTurtles

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They sound so sketchy! Surely an assistance band is better?!

yeah its that, think il give it a go, already doing the lat pull down machine, id probs snap the assistance band *text deleted*

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I find overhand with a grip as wide as I can get works best :) hits my lats good