Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Pull up beam

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, May 23, 2020.

1. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I currently use door pull up bar or scaffolding I have a pull up station also but don’t find them to helpfull!

I’m currently in the process of having monkey bars made to go in the garden.
    I know you can use towels over pull-up bars to make it harder and use more grip strength etc.
    I find it easier to pull myself up on a pull-up bar than a scaffolding tube which is down to the thickness so less grip.
    Im looking for something that’s the same beam as at lympstone which I can buy?

No point me practising on things that’s completely different to what I’d be tested on as it could end up being a lot harder and it’s to late then!

Anyone use one of these or have came across anywhere online that’s the same thing?

Cheers

2. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    this is going to sound odd but often if there is a park with a play area the monkey bars they have there are always great for pull ups because the beam is thick, or the metal frame for the swings, sadly most play areas are closed at the moment
    I have been using a door mounted one for the past 10 weeks or so since the gym has been closed, I am a bit concerned its not very representative of the one at lympstone but its the best I can do at the moment and everyone is in the same boat

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I don't have an intimate acquaintance with the pull-up beams at CTCRM but they are broader than a scaffold pole. Even I can belt out pull-ups on a scaffold pole when fresh and I'm almost a pensioner.

Towels to broaden the grip appear sensible. But bear in mind that towels are grippy whilst beams can be slippy. More than one capable PRMC candidate on this forum has slipped off a sweaty pull-up beam.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Appreciate the feedback!
    I’m just looking for the real thing or something that’s very close to it as pull-ups are my biggest weakness and *text deleted* try for that exact test rather than do it on other things thinking it will do the same thing!
    Just as you see with the pjft people can run outside great times but fail the pjft.
    With my age and the medical hurdles I’ve got to get through I can’t really take a chance so need to prepare as best as I can and make everything as similar to the tests as possible.
    I’ll have to keep looking!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

6. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

Throw some pipe cover on to make it broader
    F6959A6D-FD97-4EB7-ACAD-FC3A687B5939.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  7. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    The PTI let us wipe our hands on the floor and use a towel before jumping onto the beam, but you'll still have clammy hands. Practice thick grip and thumbless grips.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Getting one built but it’s hard to gauge from looking at just photos of the beams at prmc which size looks close to it!

Will be using one of these as the beam just not sure of the sizes or what looks close to it!

Attached Files:

9. Harry McRunFast

Went ahead and bought some 65mm pipe insulator for £2.75 from Homebase, for a homemade version of a ‘Fat Gripz Extreme’. Real thing listed at £25+ on amazon.

Makes doing pull-ups significantly harder. Would recommend.

5DDD1782-03AF-4220-B760-2AEEBFFFD7E2.jpeg

DIY ftw.
    D6CD6E24-1B4C-41AB-B309-5FE37D7594B6.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A sketchy profile sketch below of a typical 'old school' gym beam. The dimensions are very approximate and I have no idea of the dimensions of the beams at CTCRM.

Personally, I'd try out the option suggested by @Harry McRunFast before breaking out the wood plane.

beam_sketch.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. browner467

browner467 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Fat Gripz is what Sean Lerwill recommends to replicate the bar at CTCRM.

12. Harry McRunFast

Save your dosh ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers for that!
    And don’t worry wouldn’t have been me doing it would have got someone qualified to build it for me rather than it falling on top of me *text deleted*

14. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’ve got that pipe insulator currently around the scaffolding it’s okay stuff but very flimsy and similar to the stuff that came attached to my pull-up bar which I ended up wrapping duck tape around it due to it falling apart.
    Just been reading the reviews of the fat grips one (black) they’ve got some very good reviews on them so might give them a purchase and see how they treat me and seing as sean lerwill recommends them might be a good buy!

15. Harry McRunFast

Yeah I noticed that. I may throw some tape on it too!

• Like Like x 1
  16. sbradb

sbradb Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’ve found goal posts extremely handy. Most are high so you have to jump for them as well and are thick so great for grip strength.

I had already been using them from time to time for pull-ups since before current events. Now they’re what I always go to as outdoor parks and gyms are shut off and I personally find my home pull-up bars not thick enough to imitate what it’s like using the beams in the CTC Gymnasium.

• Like Like x 2
  17. redmotive

redmotive Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I bet you can find something at King Kai's place.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sneak a few senzu beans in I’ll be sorted

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I'm fairly certain that the beams at CTC are the same as those found at schools. Maybe go down, or phone your local school and ask them for the measurements.

One thing you have to remember is that the likelihood of anyone on a PRMC practising on the real thing is remote. You'll all be in the same boat, so practice with what you have available.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  20. CallMeLucifer

CallMeLucifer Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Does anyone know the height of the pull-up beam?