Pull Up help!

Mark_Cox

Reaction score
I cant do any pull ups. I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips and advice. I weigh quite a lot and have good upper body strength but can't lift my weight.

Shibby

Reaction score
do exercises that mimic the same movement i.e lat pull downs with maybe 20 kg less than you way and build up strength that way. You can also do assisted pull ups - get a mate to take a bit of your weight. Whilst doin pull ups get a mate to stand behind and support your bent legs they only need to lift a little off but it'll help build up your strength.

M

MTW

id recomend assisted pull ups mate,you wont get anywhere on pulldowns they arnt the same. i started off with assisted pullups, now i can do 3 and just bang out sets of three 3 all the time to progress, i feel your strugle tho pal 222lbs and 6'2..... big men dont belong on the bar! *text deleted*

oh and if you dont *text deleted*, assisted pull ups, same motion as normal pullups but jump up a little on the pull up to get your chin above the bar hold for 2 secs, then lower slowly (3 secs) you will be able to do one in no time, and once you can its alot easier to progress.

Leedham

Reaction score
Tricep dips, with weights or without your choice... lat pulldows (already mentioned)... rows... Your pull ups will get better as you get better at doin push ups aswell

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Muscle memory pal, The best way is as Max said is too keep ploughing away at assisted pullups, eventully decrease the weight, gradully you will reach the point when u can do unassisted pullups...

Bang out some weights first, get your arms warmed up with a few light sets, then go to the pullup bar with a postivie attitude, dont think im not going to be able to do this, positive mentally works a treat pal,

M

MTW

and think light! also visualise yourself doing it as if you weigh *text deleted* all, helped me at the start *text deleted*!

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Tricep dips, with weights or without your choice... lat pulldows (already mentioned)... rows... Your pull ups will get better as you get better at doin push ups aswell

Tricep dips will not help you do a pull up, maybe a tiny bit but not enough to merit the effort, however bicep curls will. As will lat pull down and shoulder press. Assisted pull ups are a good idea

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
bicep curls wont, marine want lean muscle. bicep curls do not develop lean muscle but big chunky heavy muscle that adds on weight.. and doesnt build stregnth to do pullups e.t.c

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
No, your wrong. Bicep curls will help pull ups as pull ups uses your biceps. Dont mean to sound like a dick but there isnt really any discussion here.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
^ Agreed
Been weight training for a few years now, And i rarely did pullups, and when i do i can bang them out with no problems, by having strong biceps sure does help, heavy muscle or not it isnt going to make much of a difference weight wise.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think it would be good of me to expand my point here, so you can see what Im saying is based on fact, not just something I have thought up.

The motion of pull ups causes flexion at the elbow, in order for this to be achieved the biceps-brachi ecentrically contracts. The biceps-brachi can be trained to contract more powerfully and also to resist fatigue. If it is stonger then pull-ups will be easier as the biceps-brachi will be used too the extra overload applied.

In regards to marines wanting lean muscle and all the stuff. - Doing bicep curls will not give you chunky muscle or how ever you explained it. It depends on the way they are trained, just like any other muscle in the body. You have two main types of muscle fibres, one type is further sub divided into two different types. Each muscle in turn has a dominant engery system that it uses.

Fast twitch muscle fibres, these are divided into fast oxidative glycolytic (type 2a) and fast twitch glycolytic (type 2b)

Type 2a are large in size, with moderate mitochondrial, capillary and myoglobin content. They have high PC and Glycogen stores and a large motor neurone size. These in turn lead to their functional characteristics being a fast contraction with a high force. Their resistance to fatigue is moderate and have a moderate aerobic capacity; however they also have a high anaerobic capacity.

Type 2b are similar to type 2a but are less resistance to fatigue but more powerful. They are also large fibres, but have low mitochondrial, capillary and myoglobin content. Their PC and glycogen stores are high but have low triglyceride stores and large motor neurones. They have low resistance to fatigue and a low aerobic capacity. But have the highest force of contraction and a high anaerobic capacity.

Type 1 muscle fibres are small with small motor neurons but with a high mitochondrial, capillary and myoglobin content. This is to help the muscle fibres use oxygen to go on creating energy. These structural characteristics allows for the following functional characteristics, slow contraction speed, low forced of contraction but a high resistance to fatigue and a high aerobic capacity.

All energy in the body is ultimatly generated by re-synthesing adenosine triphosphate from adenosine diphosphate.

The energy systems are the andenosine triphospahate phosphocreatine system (ATP-PC) system. This is used for sprint events and last for a maximum of seven seconds. An exotherminc chemical reaction breaks the bond between two phopshates in the adenosine triphosphate. This gives us energy. We only have enough ATP to last for a few seconds, so the ADP and an inorganic phospahte are joined together again by the energy gained from the breakdown of phosphocreatine by the use of the enzyme creatine kinase.

The Lactic acid system, this can last for 3 minutes in trained athletes. It is like the one above, however it relys on glycogen being broken down to provide energy to resynthesis the ADP+Pi into ATP. This is done in a proces known as glycolysis where the enzyme phosphofructokinase (PFK) breaks glycogen down into glucose-6-phosphate. In the absence of oxygen pyruvic acid is released, this is turned into lactic acid, which is why we get the horrible burning feeling.

The last and most complicated energy system is the aerobic system. This facilitates the use of oxygen so work can be carried out for a long period of time without the build up of waste products in the muscle. This is done through the use of the krebs cycle and the electron transport chain, which I wont explain on here as there are faaaaaar too many enzymes and chemical reactions. This can last for a very long period but at a low effort.

As you can see, during pullups the ATP-PC system will initally be used for the first 7 seconds, then the lactic acid system will take over, and also type 2a muscle fibres. Also the bicep is used as flexion of the elbow ocurs. Therefore improving the lactic acid and also the ATP-PC system in the bicep will allow the bicep to perform better and therefore help pull ups.

I know that was an essay, but just felt I needed to say it otherwise I would of sounded like I was just spouting facts without basing it on anything, which is far from what I really do. I know it wasnt all needed, but I hope it explains a few things anyway.

Hope this helps, Fletch :)

M

MTW

bicep curls wont, marine want lean muscle. bicep curls do not develop lean muscle but big chunky heavy muscle that adds on weight.. and doesnt build stregnth to do pullups e.t.c
dont talk rubbish mate, 90 percent of people that go to the gym that are in shape are lean, only a small few are massive and chunky. maybe if your doing massive weight and low reps, but if you do low weight and more reps it will build up lean muscle. it all depends on how u train.(in basic terms the same as what fletch has stated very well above).

and lete face it its not realy a discusion as people have said because any form of exercise that strenghens your upper body will help pullups in some sort of way obviously, but assisted pullups is probably they way to go, closesing thing you can do to pullups when you cant do any simple as.

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Hi all am quite new, so dont want to over do the posting too much..BUT...

With pull ups, if you weigh a lot mate you need to be careful what you ask of yourself to start with, if not, and you ask too much you will definately damage your collar bone (where it meets your arm...Very bad idea...)

Instead, I recommend using a lower bar/tree branch to start with and keep your feet on the old terracotta...This way you can feed more of your weight into the pullup as you get used to it!

You can also try hanging for a while followed by the assisted pullups as the right honorable gentleman describes above!

Dont panic though and take too much on, by the same token, dont let yourself down!! Start small to go big!!

Try 10 lots of one rep through the day rather than trying for six in one go, and remember these are THE hardest things to achieve if starting from a total hang position!!

Thats my tuppence anyway, (find a way or make one..) good luck *text deleted*!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
There's a huge argument between weight body builders and natural weight body builders. I know natural weight body builders who don't take supplements bigger than people who dod 4/5 days in a gym a week pulling 3 times their weight but the argument still goes on. Most body builers can't do pull ups because there's a difference between pulling and pushing weight.

My view is, don't waste money on a gym membership when your body is the best weight you can use and it can produce equal results to that of a person who goes to the gym constantly to pull and push fake weight. If you live near a park (the kiddies type with monkey bars and swings) then you have no excuse to go to the gym. There's a good 10 different variations per pull up and a good variety of push ups and sit ups including a hanging sit up which can be done off any bar. Most the people I know are well built and off the top of my head 2 of them use a gym.

Finally, biceps is only a % of what is required for the pull up, your rear shoulders and back is just as important if not more important. If you can work your back you can produce better stability and balance not to mention a better core (thus providing easier sit ups at the very least).

So the best way to do your very first pull up is to do negative reps to start with. If you have a bar low enough hold the bar with your head above it and lower yourself, stand up and repeat untill you've done atleast 3 sets of 5 negative reps, in a week you should be easily on your way to your first pull up. Then you can get down the park and start workout out for real!

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes pulling weight uses back and biceps, pushing weight uses chest and triceps.
Dont think that has much to do with whether training with weights or not tho? As pullups are pulling your weight, pushups are pushing your weight.

Leedham

Reaction score
Natural weight body buildiers and weight body builders!?! pahhh wtf! If your a bodybuilder you lift big and eat big, wether or not you take sted's determines if your natural or not. your never *text deleted* get big just lifting your own bodyweight.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
couldn't be bothered to read all the posts like i normally do but im just going to say get a pull up bar. anyone, the argos chinning bar the power bar, whatever, they all work fine, but start with under arm. i know its not what the marines do but i found if i can do 3 under arm i can do 1 over arm then i just work on the over arm.

pull yourself up as far as you can and when you cant get all the way up (no matter what rep its on) hold it for as long as you can until you cant. then try again later. just keep trying and they will come, just dont be dishartend if you dont see result strait away but they will come.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
It may be worth trying some Bodyweight Rows too as these use similar muscle groups to that of a chin-up. I've found Bent-Over Rows to also be of benefit too in building a strong back.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
No, there's a difference in pushing iron and pushing muscle. You can get just as big as a body builder buy pushing your own weight and I know guys where I live the size of body builders, their muscles look 10 times as good and much better 'cut, ripped, defined'.

You don't need anything but your body to build strength or to look good and that's the end of it.