Pull Ups!!! Ahhh

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i can only do 1-2 pull ups!! being 6 ft 5 and 105 kgs its hard to pull my own weight!

i have been trying to increse it by doing 5 sets of 2 and things like this!! but still no improvement...

has anyone got the same problem and worked out how to beat it??? im baffled *text deleted*

(oh yea i have no problem with my sit ups and press ups)

cheers Lloydy

M

MTW

i can only do 1-2 pull ups!! being 6 ft 5 and 105 kgs its hard to pull my own weight!

i have been trying to increse it by doing 5 sets of 2 and things like this!! but still no improvement...

has anyone got the same problem and worked out how to beat it??? im baffled *text deleted*

(oh yea i have no problem with my sit ups and press ups)

cheers Lloydy

hi mate, yea im 6'1 and 104 kgs and can bench 100k freeweight, but for some reason also have trouble with pullups, i have been doing 5 then 8 then 5 with a rest inbetween each. and i have found that this works for me. say you can only manage 2 of the first 5, do 2 then to finish the 5 a quick pump of one leg to get your chin up then slowly lower down, and just do that to complete the reps, and i have been improving doing that. if that makes sence *text deleted*

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Think yourselves lucky. im 6,1 - 88k and can only do just about one pull up. but i found working on my press ups and my arms in general has helped me loads.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hiya guys,

With pull ups, unfortunately being able to bench x amount of kilos wont help, as pull ups use totally different muscle groups, it will however strengthen your chest and help with your push up's.

Swimming breast stroke engages all the muscles necessary to do pull ups, or your can try pull up negatives, this is where you jump up to the bar where your chin is level and then lower yourself down . Alternate these with normal pull ups. Another method is to get 2 chairs,place them a chair width apart, then place a bar between them, position yourself in the gap between the chairs, reach up and take hold of the bar (your body should roughly be at a 45degree angle) and begin to pull yourself up.

Hope that helps guys.

chew1e

Reaction score
yeah as shiloh said, negative pull up's where u take 4 seconds to lower yourself are supposed to be good way to improving the amount of reps you can do. Mixing that up with normal sets and then taking sensible rest days has working for me.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest this now, but when you can do about 4 - 5 pull ups comfortable, I would take a dumbell, and put it between your feet. Something like 10 - 15 pounds is good to start. Do as many as you can, then drop the weight, and try to squeeze out 1 - 2 more just using your own body weight. You'll get use to pulling up more weight which will help in the long run. I went from doing 6 pull ups to 9 in one month doing this method.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
do not let nothing fail you, im 6 foot and about 65kg and can do 12 pull ups, just keep at them

sparrow legs

Reaction score
maybe i'm just being picky but I cant see what height has to do with pull ups? i'm 6 foot and i've never considered height an issue I think its just another exercise that needs practising like all the others and is weight really an issue either? surely its all relative to strength, I weigh 80 kgs but I dont consider pull ups harder for me than say a 65 kgs guy, I may be wrong just my opinion.