Pull ups HELP!

runnerj

Reaction score
Hi, as of the moment I can nail the run, sit-ups, and am working on the press ups but I am struggling to even get 1 pull up! Obviously this is a problem but I have a bit of time. Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips or training programs etc. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi mate. Your best bet is to try the eccentric pull ups. Their basically cheat pull ups. These will help you build your strength and eventually lead to you been able to do the standard pull ups.
Get a bench or box underneath the bar so you can comfortably reach the bar. Jump up so your chin is above the bar then slowly lower yourself. Make sure it is as slow as you can go and controlled. Should take you 4-6 seconds to come down. Do 5 sets of 6 reps.
Try that for a few weeks every other day and I’m positive you will see improvements ! Good luck

pacessdo

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You can do negatives, jump pull ups, australian pull ups, chin ups. I would suggest doing them 4-5 times a week

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Do banded pull ups, bit difficult to explain so I'll let YouTube do it.

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When you're able to perform some, during the lift phase imagine pulling down with your elbows not your forearms (If that makes sense) as that makes you use your upper back muscles correctly to assist with the movement.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi, as of the moment I can nail the run, sit-ups, and am working on the press ups but I am struggling to even get 1 pull up! Obviously this is a problem but I have a bit of time. Just wondering if anyone can give me any tips or training programs etc. Thanks

This thread should help you. I posted a a few videos and tips. Have a read through.

Clumsy

Reaction score
Follow all the above advice. Also get a door pull up bar. Every time you walk through that door do AMRAP (for now just a few eccentric reps.) That's what I did combined with gainers and got 16 on PRMC. It's called greasing the groove. Usually you calculate how many reps to do... but sod that, just go balls out every time.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As said above, banded pull ups, eccentric movements, if you have access to a gym some have those assisted pull up machines, lat pull down machines work as well as it more or less mimics the ROM of a pull up, plenty of variations and assistance exercises you can do to improve.