Pull ups my real weakness!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok this is the first topic I make on here, I only discovered this great forum today.

On Saturday I passed my PJFT in a comfortable run in 9:27 which I'm proud of because it was comfortable so I could have done it faster but I thought not to.

I can do the 80 sit ups in 2 minutes, I can do the 60 press ups in two minutes but at the moment I'm a bit rusty at that because I've not been doing them much recently. My only real weakness is pull ups and I don't know why.

I weight 82 kg and I'm about 183 cm tall so I have got some weight to me. People tell me that I look very slim for someone who weights that much, they don't believe me. They think I weight more like 75 kg but they are wrong.

Anyway, I want to practise on pull ups but I can only do like 4 at the most consecutively which is not great. My upper body strenght is really good, just that I've got a lot of weight to carry which makes it tougher.

I'm just thinking, maybe that Lat Pull Down exercise at the gym may help? Not that I want to go back to the gym again, all it did was make me put on bulk and this will slow me down for boxing and also probably make my PRMC tougher (running wise)

Any help is appreciated! :)

FromtheGlos

Reaction score
get to the gym, get two elasticords, tie them together, tie both ends to both sides of the pull up bar so you have a ''strirup'' hanging down.

Now place your knees into this stirrup, and let the bounce you produce from the elascisity of the cords pull you up over the bar, 4-6 times, rest and repeat x3, do this three times a week, you'll be on 6-8 pull ups, minus the cord in no time mate!

Have fun with it

Sam

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alot of gyms also have a pull up machine. There is a platform beneath a pull up bar which you stand on, the platform has a counterbalance which aids you in your pull ups. As you improve reduce the weight of the counterbalance until you are using your full body weight.

Another option is to get a pull up bar at home (about £7 from Argos - nothing fancy) and simply do more pull ups. If you can only do one pull up just keep doing sets of one unitl you can do more. It will be hard at first but you will improve. They are designed to be installed in a doorway but I prefer them in the loft hatch as it is out of sight, provides more ground clearance and, depending on your loft hatch, allows you to do wider arm pull ups than a door way.