Pull ups plateau

Echo29

Reaction score
Hi guys, recently hit a new personal best of 12 pull ups to bleep following a weighted programme for about 10 weeks. But feel as if I've hit a plateau. Any suggestions on how i can bump the numbers up some more?

I trained pull ups once a week and went to complete failure:
7kg weighted pull ups to failure x5
2/3min rest
normal pull ups to failure x10

Once a week this was a pretty high volume training session.
So should i increase the frequency?

Thanks. Echo.

Thechancer

Reaction score
Drop the weights and do pull ups to failure in your circuits, even if it’s *text deleted* technique to start with, just get the extra reps in

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, recently hit a new personal best of 12 pull ups to bleep following a weighted programme for about 10 weeks. But feel as if I've hit a plateau. Any suggestions on how i can bump the numbers up some more?

2/3min rest

Thanks. Echo.
Suppose you could repeat this circuit again? So do what you just said and then rest for a few minutes and do it all over again
As I'm sure you know the trick is to do pull ups until you physically can't even do a single one, that's how you break a plateau :)
Also yes, increase frequency..
Train at least twice a week evenly spread (i.e every Tuesday and Thursday or something) if you only do it once a week your body will not learn to adapt

Last edited:

MozzaLUFC

Reaction score

2/3min rest

Thanks. Echo.
This is really simple, but I managed to increase my max reps from 14-19, in about 3 weeks by simply doing 3 sets of max rep pulls through out the day, and I did this 5 days a week.