Pull ups

greycarpet47

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m currently working to improve my pull-ups and wanting to build a pull up bar at home in the garden. After speaking to a RM he suggested I’d do pull-ups on a goal post to get used to the beams in the gymnasium however my goal posts get padlocked together at the park. When building the pull up bar shall I build a beam or metal pole?

Thanks

Imperator13

Reaction score
Hi mate,

I just used a normal pull up bar, all I’d advise is you make it high enough so you can fully hang without touching the floor at all. The beam isn’t to hard mate, might be a bit slippy just use the same grip on the pull up bar (don’t wrap your thumb round the bar leave it on top with your fingers).

I struggled with pull ups and a PTI from army told me to do this-
5 Pull ups
3 Pull ups
2 Pull ups
3 Pull ups
5 Pull ups
One minute rest in between sets.

Once you can complete all of those, add 1kg of weight, and progress in that fashion.

Went from barley being able to do 3 Pull ups to the beep to hitting 10 to the beep on my PRMC and was able to smash pull ups out in Normal sets.

Other ideas are Negatives, pull up and slower lower yourself back down and also could try Pyramid. Do 1 pull up, then 2, then 3 and when you can’t hit the next number go back down to 1.

greycarpet47

Reaction score
Hi mate,

I just used a normal pull up bar, all I’d advise is you make it high enough so you can fully hang without touching the floor at all. The beam isn’t to hard mate, might be a bit slippy just use the same grip on the pull up bar (don’t wrap your thumb round the bar leave it on top with your fingers).

I struggled with pull ups and a PTI from army told me to do this-
5 Pull ups
3 Pull ups
2 Pull ups
3 Pull ups
5 Pull ups
One minute rest in between sets.

Once you can complete all of those, add 1kg of weight, and progress in that fashion.

Went from barley being able to do 3 Pull ups to the beep to hitting 10 to the beep on my PRMC and was able to smash pull ups out in Normal sets.

Other ideas are Negatives, pull up and slower lower yourself back down and also could try Pyramid. Do 1 pull up, then 2, then 3 and when you can’t hit the next number go back down to 1.
Cheers for the advice, will try the methods

YellowBelly98

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m currently working to improve my pull-ups and wanting to build a pull up bar at home in the garden. After speaking to a RM he suggested I’d do pull-ups on a goal post to get used to the beams in the gymnasium however my goal posts get padlocked together at the park. When building the pull up bar shall I build a beam or metal pole?

Thanks

If you want to train the pull-ups there's a few things you can do just to get the movement right.

1. Slowly increasing what you can do will help, so for example if you can do 4 pull-ups max, start with 3 and do 3 sets (Sean Lerwill's advice)

Day 1 - 3 pull-ups, 3 pull-ups, 3 pull-ups (1 min rest inbetween)
Next session - 4, 3, 3
Next - 4, 4, 3
Next - 4, 4, 4
Next - 5, 4, 4
And so on...

2. Negative pull-ups like Imperator mentioned.

Start at the top of the pull-up and lower yourself for 4 seconds, then back up.

3. Lat pulldowns with good form.

Good luck!

greycarpet47

Reaction score
If you want to train the pull-ups there's a few things you can do just to get the movement right.

1. Slowly increasing what you can do will help, so for example if you can do 4 pull-ups max, start with 3 and do 3 sets (Sean Lerwill's advice)

Day 1 - 3 pull-ups, 3 pull-ups, 3 pull-ups (1 min rest inbetween)
Next session - 4, 3, 3
Next - 4, 4, 3
Next - 4, 4, 4
Next - 5, 4, 4
And so on...

2. Negative pull-ups like Imperator mentioned.

Start at the top of the pull-up and lower yourself for 4 seconds, then back up.

3. Lat pulldowns with good form.

Good luck!

Appreciated

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
Sound advice given above. All I would like to add is once you have finished your pull-up routine - you can turn your arms the other way and start doing chin-ups. You isolate different muscle groups (biceps) and can therefore keep training for longer. It will help you to progress quicker. It may seem silly but I can do 26 pullups before failure and this has been my routine since I first started. I also have my pull-up bar above my livingroom doorway and do some pullups during adverts or when im boiling the kettle etc.
Good luck and all the best.

greycarpet47

Reaction score
Sound advice given above. All I would like to add is once you have finished your pull-up routine - you can turn your arms the other way and start doing chin-ups. You isolate different muscle groups (biceps) and can therefore keep training for longer. It will help you to progress quicker. It may seem silly but I can do 26 pullups before failure and this has been my routine since I first started. I also have my pull-up bar above my livingroom doorway and do some pullups during adverts or when I'm boiling the kettle etc.
Good luck and all the best.
Awesome, I’ll follow this routine. I’ll keep you posted when I’m banging them out in the rain!