pull - ups

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ok guys if i use a 4kg weight on the pull up bar thing how much weight does that take off my body ?

cheers

jamse

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you mean the assistance machine? I would stear clear mate and get some dumbells,and put them between your legs,or get a dipping belt and put a 5/10KG plate on there,do as many pullups as possible and it will help

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
PULL UPS! for me they are the big *text deleted* thorn in my side, Press ups, sit ups, mile and half...no probs at the momet but my Pull ups :evil: i can only get out 5 :evil: i then use the assit part on the machine to help but are there any other exercises that can help with pull ups? I heared lat pull downs are pretty good for helping with pull ups.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh mate the lat pull down machine will help to a degree,so will bent over rows . Id suggest also trying pullups lying down. Get two chairs,and a broom,and put the handle across the chair tops,then lay down,grab the bar with a wide grip and pull to your chest.

And also a light weight between your knees whilst doing pullups.

That and just keep practicing!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you are lucky i cant even do one totally on my own! i just cant lift my weight.... how can i get myself ready for even one?!

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey mate

i had the same problem. i couldnt even do 1 and then i spent 3 weeks training for it. after that i poped off 6!

i found that latteral raises, lat pull downs and your core help loads with the pull ups!

what kind of grip do we have to do for the pull ups. i have been doing a bit of both, under hand and over hand i dont no which one?? :?

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
Lots of normal pull ups shoulder width and wide armed. Does the fact that down in Lympy we will do pull ups on a wooden beam be of any effect, making it harder?or easier?

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The big wooden beams will be harder. I try to use a carpark barrier,or football goal beam to replicate it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
When practising back-handed pull-ups, the beam at Lympstone is a "D" (on it's back) profile, so the four fingers on each hand support your entire body weight. If you practise on a bar, remember to keep your thumbs out as they are not part of the grip.

You should not cross your legs or swing to gain momentum and you should try to keep them straight & together throughout & clear of the deck. Once your chin is over the beam, try to hold for a count of 5, lower yourself in a controlled manner & repeat.

Simple.

(I can't do one :eek:ops: But then I don't want to be a Commando :*text deleted*: )

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help anyone...

but when I go running, I usually run by a set of goal posts, on my way back I'll jump up and blast out 5 or 6.

I find that a goal post is usually square and can help with the grip with the 4 fingers.

If you can only do one, that's fine. I've always had quite a 'huge' back. I used to do a lot of body building a few years ago and i've kept it ever since.

There's plenty of exercises to build up the Lats (that's the main muscle used when doing a pull up) if anyone wants to know some, let me know.

Mr T

Reaction score
I personally didnt think the bar was as thick as everyone makes out.

Dont get me wrong its not exactly thin, but thinner than the poles of a goal post.

And from my experience the bar was not as slippery as some describe, plus the pti's gave us a towel to wipe the bar and our hands with

Cheers

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
how high is the bar???

because im 6ft 4 and i have to cross my legs and lift my feet so i dont hit the floor!! and its hard not to use the momentem

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine, ex marine says that the wooden beam is pretty much a polished 2 x 4 on it's horizontal side. So not overly big at all.

foss

Reaction score
jamie.english *text deleted* whats them lat exercises you could recommend would be a big help

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Lats
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.php?MainMuscle=Middle+Back

I would take the time to explain some of the exercises, but I usually use that website above to help with exercises.

Check out both of those links, they will both help with your pull ups.

If you want your muscles to grow quicker, blast out about 3 sets of 20 reps doing squats (with weight). When you do squats, something in your body releases a chemical that helps your muscles grow. Trust me, squats helps as well. You won't notice it at first. Trust me, I'm a... doctor?