Pull Ups

spiderman

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just to let you know i'm a newbee here.

Right my poorest aspect of fitness is the pull ups. I constantly think about them day and night! I struggle to do two clean pull ups and this is really getting me down because on other forums like arrse and mfat etc people are saying they can whack out 15 plus no probs.

I have the doorway bar from argos. Does anyone have tips or ways I can increase the amount of repititions in a short space of time.

Spiderman

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
for starters...although it is entirely possible to do 15 pullups, some of those peeps are probly lying ..

it really is just practice mate...when i started, i could barely do 3..now my max is about 7-8

try and do like 2 whenever you get the chance...never max out on them (unless you are testing urself or summink)

eventually you will find *text deleted* able to do more (say 3 each time), then it will slowly increase!

dont go crackers on them tho! *text deleted* *text deleted* get injured!

Bish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
alryt mate i was struglling with pull ups on my acquaint day i only managed 2 2 months on im managing 9 clean pull ups and 6 at the end of a long workout just so im used to doing them as on the Prmc and i am managing 6 easily. I have got 1 of them argos bars but to be honest i found them useless because you dont get the full hang lyk you bend your legs when you do it. get down to the gym an get on th pull up bar max out then put on the assist and do 4 sets of 8 or whatever you can and thats what worked for me it may not work for you mate but worth a go.

Ant Bish

spiderman

Reaction score
thanks a bunch for the advice guys, it is much appreciated. ye with the argos bars i have to bend my knees.

Bish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yer i think the best thing to do would be get down the gym get on the pull up assist and also use the lat pull down and use the wide gripped bar as this also helps with pull ups alot.

Shibby

Reaction score
I was using one of those argos pull up bars, but it really frustrated me as it was too low, i ended up levering up with my elbows as they hit the door frames and the bar changed thickness across which was off putting. I bought a device called a powerbar (ebay). Its miles better and it doesnt need fixing permanently. Would definately recommend one. Hope this helps.

spiderman

Reaction score
thanks for that mate might have to purchase that bit of kit

Mat

Reaction score
I found it a bit annoying having to bend my knees too due to the low bar so I wasnt standing but now I just do them on the oddest things, hanging off the tops of door frames, tree branches, monkey bars in the park... even between two wardrobes with my hand on the edge of each *text deleted* this week the neighbors are having work done on their house so Ive been hanging of the scaffolding and doing them after my runs.

I started out the same as you, couldnt do many at all and I was really worried I would struggle to improve but now im doing 30+ every morning during my circuit (thats a total not in one go as I do 6-8 after each exercise) I found doing them with no rest between exercises really helped, and doing weighted pull ups. Now I have no problem with doing upto 12 of them without much effort, no idea what my max is.
To begin with what I would suggest is doing 1-3 depending on your ability but then resting for a few seconds or mins till your read and doing another set... do this a few times and slowly you will get used to them. Also exercises like dips and push ups helped me build up my muscles in other areas which contributed to making the pulls easier. Hope that helps!

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a loft hatch handy, take the cheap Argos bar and put it in the loft hatch opening.

A few people, inc me, on here do it. Means you can get the full stretch with legs straight.

spiderman

Reaction score
cheers mat hoofin advice will try to smash out 2 reps at a time. then another 2 on the argos then on the powerbar when i get it! cheers mate

Mat

Reaction score
No worries mate, if you find something seemingly impossible to achieve just aim to do a little, more often and take it a step at a time and it will come! Also another little tip, I found strengthening my grip helped a lot too as I wasn't battling to stay on the bar and could concentrate on getting my chin over it.

good luck!

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i have a powerbar...its very good. comes highly recomended !

ive never tried the argos one, but i think the power bar would be better.
yeah , i recomend buying it!

spiderman

Reaction score
Mate thats a great idea cheers, but unfortunately I got a loft conversion done about five years ago so no loft hatch now :(

spiderman

Reaction score
I am pleased i am up to three clean pull ups now as soon as i wake up!

malibuking

Reaction score
I am in agreement with Charlie, the Powerbar is great, its absolutely rock solid. i got flimsy door frames in my house b,eing a new build and all, but it takes the weight superbly, plus the fact i weigh 16 stone!!you can put it up and pack it away in seconds, highly recommended!!!

Reaction score
when i 1st started doing pull ups i just used a barbell across the loft hatch, worked fine better than doing pull ups on a door frame. wouldnt advise using a barbell if over 15st tho. so if anyone hasent got a powerbar or chinning bar use the barbell until that day comes.its better than lookin like a mug doing chin ups in a todlers playground *text deleted*