Pull-ups

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Hey guys

Anyone got any methods for working on pull-ups?
as you can see i can do a measley 1 and thats at a struggle! what i want really is if there are any exercises that strengthen your muscles that take part in the pull-up without actually practicing pull-ups. if you know what i mean?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
bent over rows are pretty good (stand next to bench holding barbell or other heavy thing in one hand, bend over, place other hand on bench make the same movement you would if you were cutting a piece of wood, remember to swap sides once you're done!) google back exercises and lat exercises you should get loads of others, over head pulldown's good.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yup, as seedynoob said, bent over rows are good, they'll build up the muscles in your back and shoulders.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
from this you are probably going to think "yeah easy for you to say" or "easier said than done" but the best way to get better at pull ups is to do them.

i was honestly if your situation. now i can do about 4 pull ups. how i done them was:

1. bought a chin up bar from argos (i dont want to read slagging off of these because it worked for me)
2. attactched it to my door (obviously)
3. every time i left or entered my room i attemtped to do pull ups, as many as i could.

it started off as me being able to do half a pull up, eventually 1 then 2 and now i can do 4.

the only problem is with the chin up bar i need to bend my knees, but im not to bothered as i now go down the gym fairly often and use their pullup bar where i dont have to use my knees.

if you are finding over hand pull ups hard do underhand chin ups as they are easier. when you can do 3 of them then you can probably do 1 overhand pull up.

but you have to keep trying, dont get dishartened if you cant do 2 after 3 days. keep going and keep trying, each time trying to pull yourself up a little further.

good luck :)

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Try and do negative ones,
if you've got a bar that you can hold onto while standing on the ground,
put your hands on it while still standing,
then jump into the pull up position,
then lower yourself down slowly,
this should help build up muscles.

Joe

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
ZZ thats great. Those pullup bars from argos are very cheap aswell, i thought it might be a bit flimsy as its only 7.97 but i'll give it a go. I'll also put the bent over rows into my routine down the gym. Cheers for the help guys! :rock: