push up struggle

blackthunder71

Reaction score
Hey,

I am currently practising my push-ups and for the past few months once I get up to 40 I have no strength left and can't do anymore. My aim is to be able to do 60 to beep however at the moment this seems difficult. Does anyone have any tips so I can push past the 40 beep mark?

Thanks in advance.

The_Chief

Reaction score
Do you just do pushups to the beep and that's it? If so try doing pushup workouts outside of the beep. You can do larger numbers but spread out through a longer period of time. You can also try different pushup variations e.g. clapping pushups, spiderman pushups, pike pushups etc. Lastly, try using free weights if you have access and do arm exercises with them.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Set up a metronome to the correct tempo. Count down from 42. Bit of a mental thing. Often counting up to a round number enforces to you that you're done and cant make it to another round number. Counting down, you have to get to 0, and in doing so you've added a few extra reps. Slowly adding more reps week after week. Like I said, its more a method to trick your mind. But give it a go

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
- Press Up variations to hit different areas of the muscles
- Different tempo’s
- Isometrics
- Weighted Press Ups
- Doing one session focusing on fast twitch, and an alternate slow twitch.
- Varying the rest periods
- Volume

Things that helped me break from 40s to maxing out

One of the workouts I’ve been doing recently is
3 x 3min Max reps
EMOM, 20 reps each, Diamond, Marine, Standard, Wide. 4 rounds to start with

You can easily hit over 600 reps on this workout

Murk

Reaction score
Just to add to above, plyometric push ups for fast twitch and something like Bring Sally Up for slow twitch. Increase weekly volume.

I know one movement that has really helped me:
Start stood up with feet shoulder width, walk hands from feet to push up position, do push up, walk them back and repeat. Keeping legs only slightly bent.

Wrecks shoulders and makes them like iron for the hold between beeps.

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Set up a metronome to the correct tempo. Count down from 42. Bit of a mental thing. Often counting up to a round number enforces to you that you're done and cant make it to another round number. Counting down, you have to get to 0, and in doing so you've added a few extra reps. Slowly adding more reps week after week. Like I said, its more a method to trick your mind. But give it a go

Never thought of it like that. Good shout!

mace

Reaction score
I got a fun one for you that I am doing today: 10 push ups every 10 minutes for 10 hours.

Welsh21

Reaction score
I started using a weighted vest which I think helps a lot. So I will do a few sets of push ups with the max weight on, then I will gradually drop the weight down until I do it with no weight. A few weeks of that and I saw my numbers go up