Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Push ups

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by nebby1303, Oct 28, 2018.

1. nebby1303

nebby1303 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    has anybody got any tips for getting 60 push ups please?

2. Cct_99

Cct_99 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Search sean lerwills 'gainers'. Can be used for sit ups, pull ups, aswell as the push ups

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Can confirm Sean's "Gainer method" works, went from only being able to do 15 press-ups to 40 within about 1.5 months. My pull-ups went from 2 to 6 in about 3 weeks which is still low but is an improvement and my sit-ups have gone from 20 to 46 in about 3 weeks as well.

4. Cct_99

Cct_99 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yes they worked for me. I bought his online book called 'pass the prmc' which has plenty of info on where to start and gives an 8 week training programme to follow. It's been over a year since I did it as I'm no longer going in the marines, however when I did follow the programme, I started off around 35 push ups, 60 sit ups (easily came out of sync) and 7 pull ups. I ended with 13 pull ups, 54 push ups and 85 sit ups, all to the count. Once I started to really struggle with improvements, I stopped doing 3 sets of push ups, then 3 sets of sit ups and 3 sets of pull ups and changed it to 1 set push ups, 1 set sit ups and 1 set pull ups x3 so I came out with the same amount of sets, however id then have more rest. It actually helped me to improve beyond what I could get to before hand with the 3 of each before moving onto the next of exercise.

5. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello :)

I am not a marine and I haven't started rt or attended PRMC yet but there are a few things I have found that have helped me with my push ups and they may be able to help you to. You may already have been doing these things anyway so please ignore of so! :)

It sounds quite strange but I found breathing properly made a lot of difference. It may have been just a strange thing I was doing but I found I was unintentially holding my breath for the first minute of so, probably as a result of trying to engage my core and support my trunk during the push up. This not only makes the 2 minutes seem much longer but probably dosent help with lactic acid build up due to the lack of regular breathing. I have found that breathing every 5 push ups helps create some ryhmn and gives me psychologically something other than the build up of lactic acid to think about. I also find the 2 minutes seems to pass much more quickly.

I started some light resistamce exercises to help with my upper body strength; tricep pushdowns using the cable machine and serratus anterior presses using the cable machine have helped inprove my muscular enduramce from a low base. I set these machines on low weigth but went for high numbers of repetitions.

I also found going onto youtube and listening to the beep they use on PRMC to time the push ups helped; before I was doing the push ups too quickly and not pausing with fully extended arms at the top of each push up; this led to me tiring too quickly but now by listening to the beep test I can can keep a better and more consistant rythmn. Also, the sean lerwill beep test below includes the number count of pressups so you dont have to worry about counting; i always found if i set q number of push ups in my head i would get to that number but no further, so its good if someone else counts so you can focus your mind on something esle to distract you from the building lactoc acid of the push ups.

Just in case you haven't seen it here's the beep test :)