Pushing yourself too hard

Babybell

Reaction score
Im curious to see how many people are really pushing themselves in prepreration for the PRMC, POC etc?

I've seen a couple of threads about people who have manged to injury themselves before the PRMC/POC, even one poor soul who did it before recruit training!I know work outs and training should not be easy, but I have often wondered if some of us push our selfs too quickly or too hard.

I bring this up since today whilst I was at the gym, I would have an extra short rest during my sets if my muscles started to hurt too much. (Trying to keep it as short as possiable mind) I would still make sure I did the complete number of repatitons, even if I did have to have these pauses. I want to increase my strength and stamina in prepreration for selecion, what I dont want to do is push myself too hard and cause unwanted injuries before I even get there.

Does anyone thing Im being too cautious here? Am I cheating myself by not pushing on even if I am still completing the excersises properly? (Naturally at the PRMC/RT this would not be exceptable and I would try to keep going as much as I possiably could. Its just I dont know if its prudent to do it in prepreration for selection.)

Incidently and completely off topic. Does anyone else here sweat buckets? I seem to find myself dripping everywhere when I do my CV excersises. Anyone know any good ways of limiting the flood?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* im not working hard enough, but thats a mixture of not knowing what the hells going on with my application (its been a week and im *text deleted**text deleted*ting bricks already hahaha) and the injuries with my leg. Working on my upper body in the meantime though... Bit pissed because I can run 4 miles and still be able to move, but now im a couch potato so to speak.

I don't find I sweat too much *text deleted*, cept for my lower back... bit weird that eh? Hands don't sweat at all and retain water which does my head in.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I havn't properly thrashed myself for quite a while, as i am on the rebound from an injury at the moment, so taking it eaasy.

When i was fitter a few years ago i used to beast myself stupid, and had quite a few sessions where i would vomit as a result of doing stupid amounts of burpees or whatever, and the lactic acid build-up in your legs is screaming at you.

Having said that, someone posted on here recently about whether it is beneficial to go to failure/ exhaustion with running or excercise, all of the time.

I think it has its place. For me it was more so a mental thing, to see how far I could push myself, but i think this is an important thing to train and you can improve mental strength, grit and determination just as you can physical muscle!

RE you're other point. Yeah i sweat buckets! Allways could get away with putting in absolutely no effort in school PE sessions and the teachers still thinking i was giving it my all.
Spend a lot of time mopping up sweat puddles after using gym equipment for fairly light excercise. Having to make "tactical" clothes choices at the mo, avoiding light shirts etc, and changing clothes a few times a day.
Definately suited for soldiering in Afghan.:wondering::biggrin:

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think you're perhaps being overcautious but how hard you push yourself I guess could depend on your time frame, you could be more relaxed about it if you've got longer to wait.

My opinion is just don't cheat yourself and don't cop out!

About sweating I don't know you just have to deal with it. I sweat like a paedo in a creche aswell. :cheesy:

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry too much lads, sweating is very healthy. It is your bodies method of keeping itself cool.
I also sweat like a paedophile in a playground, bit concerned for my partner at PRMC as they're going to get covered when I do my push ups/sit ups.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* oh dear. My gym is hot as anything so anyone is bound to get sweaty, don't usually sweat that much but recently ive got into cycling as my leg isnt too good for running right now, 25 minutes on the cardio setting which keeps my bpm about 158 gets me sweating like anything, properly soaking afterwards with the machine needing a good wipe down. Running however i dont tend to get as sweaty, maybe im not putting the effort in as much.

It is good to push yourself, but of course you just have to be careful of injuries as otherwise there will be no exercise for a while :(

Babybell

Reaction score
bit concerned for my partner at PRMC as they're going to get covered when I do my push ups/sit ups.
Not forgetting the pull ups as its hard to grip firmly with extremly sweaty palms.

It is good to push yourself, but of course you just have to be careful of injuries as otherwise there will be no exercise for a while :(
That is my point though. I think giving yourself a serious 'extra phys' once a week (preferably the day before your rest day) is acceptable. But doing it every session may do more damage in the long run and delay the application process.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* oh dear. My gym is hot as anything so anyone is bound to get sweaty, don't usually sweat that much but recently ive got into cycling as my leg isnt too good for running right now, 25 minutes on the cardio setting which keeps my bpm about 158 gets me sweating like anything, properly soaking afterwards with the machine needing a good wipe down. Running however i dont tend to get as sweaty, maybe im not putting the effort in as much.

Prob *text deleted* when your running you get a nice breeze, from you moving through the air!

I sweat my tits off, I come out the gym and if Ive been doing CV my whole top is completly wet hahah.
Depends what you mean by pushing too hard, your msucles hurting isnt *text deleted* injure you.
Obv a bad pain, an injurty pain stop, but your muscles hurting, like lactic acid... keep going.
What I do anyway.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Even when i run inside i don't sweat as much..but then it could be because the running machines are under the air con :D

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i've managed to come down with a viral infection this week, which i can only put down to the intensity of training :sick: