Quad Bike / ATV

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Been thinking about purchasing one of these for a while as an easy way to get around where I live.

Does anyone have any experience with ownership, maintenance, cost, safety etc?

Cheers!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with ownership, maintenance, cost, safety etc?
I use one at work on the moors from time-to-time. Mainly off-road but also on the highway and in public places.

Quad bikes (formally known as Sit-Astride ATVs) are good fun but potentially lethal. So a bit like dating the wrong person, potentially. :)
Definitely consider an accredited training course. That's my top tip.

If he spots this @Johnny_Anonie might comment on the legal stuff.

Edited to add: I'm aware that I've probably sucked all the fun out running a quad bike, but you did ask.

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I think lack of experience could potentially make them dangerous! Perhaps less so than bikes.

I really just want it for getting around the town roads and such, not for travelling more than a few miles, so I’m definitely not looking for a hugely powerful one.

What kind of engine size / powere would be good as a run about? A substitute for a scooter essentially.

Edited to add: I'm aware that I've probably sucked all the fun out running a quad bike, but you did ask.
Ha! Not at all!;):D

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know it goes without saying, but please for the love of god wear a helmet and necessary safety gear. The amount of brain injuries we see at work because people were just going for a 'quick ride' is saddening. Stay safe !!

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know it goes without saying, but please for the love of god wear a helmet and necessary safety gear. The amount of brain injuries we see because people were just going for a 'quick ride' is saddening. Stay safe !!
Ha don’t worry.

When I worked on a building site last year I was dubbed “Mr PPE” for my love of safety gear :D

Chelonian

Reaction score
What kind of engine size / powere would be good as a run about?
Someone better qualified than I is best placed to comment. But there are many factors to consider with ATVs. One big one is tyres; off-road tyres are hard work if one is mainly riding on the highway.

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
I used to have a road legal 250 SMC a few years ago. Was a great runaround and I used to do quite bit of greenlaning on it which was great fun. Loved using it, but then wife, house, work and kids meant I couldn't use it much.

Was lucky that their was a girl I was seeing before I met my wife which had a farm and stables too, so that added to the fun.

I enjoyed owning it. Was quite expensive to insure at the time - say 500 quid for the year and road tax was expensive too being a Class 4(?) vehicle. Certainly more expensive than a motorbike. Fuel wasn't too bad, just like a bike.

Just a word of warning though, they are surprisingly dangerous. They don't have the same level of rear end traction as a motorbike due to having a fixed rear axle, so they can be sketchy in the wet, even on road tyres. Mine was only a 250 and could comfortably sit at 60 or so.

I always wore a helmet with mine too. If you can spend the money on a bike then surely it can be afforded to protect your nut!!

To be honest, I'd have one again if I had the space and time! :)

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just a word of warning though, they are surprisingly dangerous. They don't have the same level of rear end traction as a motorbike due to having a fixed rear axle, so they can be sketchy in the wet, even on road tyres. Mine was only a 250 and could comfortably sit at 60 or so.
Even jotting around town at below 40mph?

Smurfy0103

Reaction score
Even jotting around town at below 40mph?
Perfectly fine and safe driving generally but you just have to be more mindful that they aren't as agile as a bike. People drive them like idiots expecting them to handle like a motorbike and then end up having accidents. More than a few times I lost the rear end on roundabouts only doing the limit and only through losing traction, not careless driving. Even worse in the wet. It's just about being conscious of the characteristics of the bike and how differently they ride to motorbikes.

Bare in mind it only did 60mph flat out anyway so you aren't doing brake neck speeds. Still enough to make a mess though.

Sounds like this post is negative but it shouldn't be read as so. Simply an alternate point to consider. Like I said, I'd have one again.