Qualifications

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by mac123, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mac123

mac123 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Evening,

I was racking my brains trying to remember what qualification it is that you gain throughout training and if it equates to any GCSE/A-Level?

Thanks in advance!

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Off the top of my head, it’s a Level 2 NVQ Diploma, which is almost the equivalent of an A level.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I thought it was Uniform or Public Services NVQ Level 2 for Recruit Training?

Beware thinking "equivalency" as many educational establishments will claim things like "equivalent to GCSEs or A Levels" which they may well do for entry into higher education but from an employer's perspective, if they say they want GCSE maths and English, they normally want GCSE maths and English, not an NVQ in Plumbing "worth four GCSEs".

Likewise, when non-descript qualifications are required by employers, be aware very, very few are accepted as equivalent to GCSEs and, in my experience, although there are Level 3 qualifications which can be accepted in lieu of A Levels, I find very few people with equivalents and no qualifying and accompanying A levels seem to make the cut for RM or RN selection for officer.

For example? Very few people with a BTEC Level 3 passed above merit, merit, merit in Public Services and a random A Level, 'passed' at grade E, seem to make RM or RN Officer selection despite the fact the BTEC meets the requirement with regard UCAS points.

If anyone tells you a BTEC/NVQ is "worth the same as 4 x A Levels, but easier" it's usually because there's insufficient academic content and this is often revealed at AIB during the written exercises & further psychometric testing.

These are the "official" equivalents, but despite what the government may state, many employers take a different view: https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

4. threadpigs

threadpigs Royal Marines Commando

It’s essentially very coarse toilet paper.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. mac123

mac123 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you for the replies. Will look into it!

6. Pogorabbit

Pogorabbit Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It's a level 2 NVQ public services qualification after training, you get a certificate ;).