Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Qualifications

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by A.R_Cunnings, Aug 5, 2019.

1. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m aware you don’t need any qualifications to join but I bombed my exams and don’t have my English or maths! i know, pathetic. I suck at maths big time. I basically want to know how big of a role maths have or qualifications, at what point will I be taking the any entry tests and will there be any more mathematical lessons during my time? Do
    You need English and maths GCSEs for promotions etc

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Its not pathetic at all. While not ideal, it will mean you will have to do some work in the Corps if you want promotion. If you get in.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/royal-marines/what-can-i-do/royal-marines-commando

Seek and ye shall find. One of the things about being a bootneck is we are the “thinking man’s soldier” so we want to learn and find new things and knowledge. The information is out there if you go and find it.
    You won’t always get an answer on a plate to all your problems in life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks mate but stop with the petty little jabs I don’t want or think I’ll get answers on a plate but this forum is for asking questions

• Disagree. Disagree. x 6
  4. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Why disagree my post

5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The thing is, if everyone posted their questions, the forum would get bogged down, and people like me, and many others who give up their freetime to offer help, advice and experience will get sick of repeating the same thing.
    We all put time and effort into seeking information and giving good detailed answers to the best of our ability to help people like you.

I never had the forum, like many others, when I joined up. I didn’t have the luxury of being handed all the information, so chill out, have a look around the forum, and read. If you can’t find the answer to your question, or your question is more technical then feel free to ask. But all the questions you have asked, have been covered elsewhere, multiple times. Don’t be lazy and expect people to help you out.

You should be a sponge, sucking up all the information you can find and utilising it to your advantage. That’s what being a bootneck is about.

• Like Like x 7
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If you ever get into training, I have a huge feeling that you'll struggle with the authority of the Training team and struggle getting along with your troop.
    Weird how much you can gauge about someone from how they respond on a forum

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  7. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Gotcha mate great answer sorry I just can’t help standing up for myself when I think someone is mocking me

Would you advise trying to resit my maths before joining or wait until
    I get in? Is it something you can do in your spare time once in

8. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I disagreed your post because you have spammed multiple threads asking questions that are easily answered with a little search. You disclosed on a previous post that you were 17 which is maybe why a bit of slack can be given regarding your immature responses and comments but seriously if you’re hoping to pass selection for training never mind complete it I think you have a lot of growing up to do.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  9. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Really helpful mate thanks

Like I said I’m no doormat! There is a difference between dealing with my NCOS and officers and smart Alec jabs online. What makes you think it’s ok to be rude to young members who want to do something positive with their life! instead of seeking a life of crime and dole I'm out to make something of myself yet you doubt me?
    Anyway I’ll ignore you and listen to the actual helpful blokes

10. A.R_Cunnings

A.R_Cunnings New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If you can’t help then stop trying to bully it won’t wash with me

11. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Okay. Little helpful tip for you then.

Learn the concept of the 'grey man'. If you have ambitions to join the UKSF then I'm sure you've come across it before.
    If the guys on this forum are giving you a little jab, it's for a reason!
    All the best nonetheless

12. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando

Right. Nobody is bullying you. But as @ThreadpigeonsAlpha has said, this forum is manned by volunteers, information coming from experienced serving marines and lads who've recently passed out as well.
    Have some respect and gratitude because these lads don't need to be helping anyone, they're most likely on leave getting jabbed by their missus or kids for being on their phone replying to a thread on here.

To say you need to grow a thicker skin and drop the attitude is not bullying. It is advice based on experience. We've passed out, you've done nothing. To ignore that advice would be simply arrogant and foolish. It's class that you've got so much enthusiasm and questions about the Corps, but start applying abit more of the Commando qualities and values into your everyday life and personality and you'll be in a much stronger position to start the journey. Trust me.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Right young man, just stop right there. You are getting most of the answers you require from those of us who have been there, done it and have the fridge magnet to prove it.

This forum is here to help those who aspire to join the RM. If being told by others to start thinking for yourself and using the search facility, then do just that. Nobody is bullying you, just trying to help and advise a very young and what appears to be, an immature individual.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The Corps has a learning centre, you can use that when your in to redo your maths or get further education.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about resitting it now, unless you really want to. But focus your energy on getting into the Corps.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    And noone is mocking you mate. There will be banter. But no one will actively mock you.
    Just remember we can only show you the door, you have to put the hardwork and effort in. The Marines don’t care about your qualifications and past history. Just your attitude and hardwork.

I joined the Maries with GCSEs and that’s it, I hated school. I joined the corps with the bare minimum. But hard work pays off, you obviously have a bit of a negative attitude, either from insecurity or feeling angry or frustrated. Your a young lad, utilise that energy, frustration and anger and direct it to your training not at people trying to help. You are taking the right steps by being on the forum, just don’t bite the hand that’s feeding you.

Remember we are here to help we were all at the same stage you are. But we got our head down, grafted and put the hard work in.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Oh AR, What are we going to do with you?

Some very good answers on this thread.
    You will be able to complete a range of key skills qualifications (including literacy and numeracy) after training.

I think you need to just chill a bit and pull those horns in a bit. Getting defensive with members on here often backfires. It pushes good people away, makes you look immature, and sends a message that you are unable to regulate our emotions.
    Most people are not out to get you mate. Not now anyway. Nobody is perfect and a bit of fighting spirit is fine but regularly ask yourself: "Am I responding like this because of the way I was treated in the past?" Then make a point of focussing on all the differences between then and now.
    We are not the enemy AR.

Thread back on track now please.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    If you want piss taking, jump on ARRSE! Seriously though, even if the chaps do have a cheeky jab it's nothing like you'll experience down in Lympstone if you get there. The way i see it is, maybe a little piss take every now and again is like a tax for the wealth of information we all get here! Books don't take the piss but books aren't dynamic and specific like the lads on here are.

• Seen Seen x 1
  18. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Is this Adam Collins from Commando on the Frontline by chance?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  19. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Thread back on topic please folks.

20. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

From the British Army recruitment site but I would imagine RM offer similar. See below

During your career, you will undertake trade training for your job role. The Army has links with many civilian awarding organisations, who offer civilian qualifications for some of that training.

As you progress through the ranks, you’ll undertake Command, Leadership and Management (CLM) training. As well as enhancing your career, this CLM training results in civilian Qualifications which the Army will buy for you. These qualifications range from Level 4 (foundation degree level) to Level 7 (masters degree level).

Many Senior Non-Commissioned Officers (Sergeants to Warrant Officers) take advantage of this opportunity, and use it as their entry onto degree courses. Some universities offer special conditions for Army personnel by taking into account CLM courses, helping Army students to achieve their degrees in a shorter timeframe.

All of this helps you to enhance your Army career and prepare you for a new career outside the Armed Forces by enabling you to build a robust portfolio of civilian qualifications that are valued by civilian employers - whether you serve for 4 years or 22 years.

• Like Like x 1