Question about becoming an officer

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
So I have my PRMC next week and i'm joining as a recruit. I finished college about 3 months ago and got 3 B's and an A in my Highers(A Levels). Ever since then everyone in my family has encouraged me to join as an Officer, even my AFCO said the same. For my own reasons I decided to just join a recruit and i'm sure some people who have been in the same situation as me understand my reasons.

My question is after a few years of being a Marine(after passing out) can you undertake the Officer course? Say i'm 21 by that time and I realize I made a mistake and should have joined as an Officer do I get the chance to become one? Will I have to do the full 15 months training despite having the 8 months as a marine?

Also if I am underqualified to become an Officer(which I think i'm not, not sure though) will I have the opportunity to do degrees whilst in themarines if I explain that I am working towards becoming an Officer?

What is this corp commision thing as well? I've heard it a few times but don't really understand what it is.

S

Sotiris

So I have my PRMC next week and i'm joining as a recruit. I finished college about 3 months ago and got 3 B's and an A in my Highers(A Levels). Ever since then everyone in my family has encourage me to join as an Officer, even my AFCO said the same. For my own reasons I decided to just join a recruit and i'm sure some people who have been in the same situation as me understand my reasons.

My question is after a few years of being a Marine(after passing out) can you undertake the Officer course? Say i'm 21 by that time and I realize I made a mistake and should have joined as an Officer do I get the chance to become one? Will I have to do the full 15 months training despite having the 8 months as a marine?

Also if I am underqualified to become an Officer(which I think i'm not, not sure though) will I have the opportunity to do degrees while in my marines if I explain that I am working towards becoming an Officer?

What is this corp commision thing as well? I've heard it a few times but don't really understand what it is.

Becoming a Marine and then going for YO training is Corps Commision. It is entirely probably that you can do that.

You have to complete all the training as a YO. With the exception of the foundation course (I think) you do everything aaaall over again and then some!

Don't forget that all the criteria for making it as an Officer are harder, faster and longer. So even though you're doing the same exercises again, the demands on your time and effort are increased.

The way the AFCO's see it is that if you've got the qualifications, go for it! The worst thing that could happen is that you fail the POC or AIB and then re-route to recruit training. I think Ninja said a while ago that a good thing to do would be to apply for both YO and RT. That way you save yourself a lot of time if things go awry.

Good luck.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The way the AFCO's see it is that if you've got the qualifications, go for it! The worst thing that could happen is that you fail the POC or AIB and then re-route to recruit training. I think Ninja said a while ago that a good thing to do would be to apply for both YO and RT. That way you save yourself a lot of time if things go awry.

I was under the impression that if you pass the POC but fail the AIB, you class as having passed PRMC so do not have to undertake this aspect again.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I was under the impression that if you pass the POC but fail the AIB, you class as having passed PRMC so do not have to undertake this aspect again.

It used to be the case, but a POC pass is no longer accepted as a PRMC pass as they are looking for different things besides fitness.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It used to be the case, but a POC pass is no longer accepted as a PRMC pass as they are looking for different things besides fitness.

For my general interest could you elaborate a little further on that please Ninja, been racking my brain to think of what they would look at differently for general duties marine compared to officer and have not come up with much.