Question about Hunter Company and Recovery

redmotive

Reaction score
As I understand it Hunter company is exclusively for recruits in the ROP and basic training phase who are injured, correct me if I'm wrong. Now I'm curious, if you have a leg injury and can't run, what would they have you do to aid recovery besides rest? I'm basically asking, are there any exercises one can do to expedite a leg injury and aid recovery, without damaging it further? It would matter what type of injury we're talking about so I'm looking for general tips and if you like, we can use shin splints as an example since I believe it's the most common leg injury in the military.

redmotive

Reaction score
I maybe incorrect but if you pick up an injury while in the ROP phase you'll just be sent home to rest up and be given a return date once fit enough to restart training.
Aye you might be right on that. I wasn't sure about ROP to be honest.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
As I understand it Hunter company is exclusively for recruits in the ROP and basic training phase who are injured, correct me if I'm wrong. Now I'm curious, if you have a leg injury and can't run, what would they have you do to aid recovery besides rest? I'm basically asking, are there any exercises one can do to expedite a leg injury and aid recovery, without damaging it further? It would matter what type of injury we're talking about so I'm looking for general tips and if you like, we can use shin splints as an example since I believe it's the most common leg injury in the military.
It depends on the injury.
I didn’t spend any time in hunter so I’m just going off what I’ve been told.

depending on the injury, you may be given medical leave until a point where you can return and you start a rehab programme. This would be physio and exercises and building up strength in your weaknesses and injuries, while increasing your strengths.

So if you can’t run, you might be able to walk, do physio, exercises, etc etc. And build up to get you running again.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hunter company is for recruits who get injured right up to Pass Out. Although not technically in Hunter YO's will still use the same facilities and will rehab alongside the guys in RT.

The facilities are truly world class, as are the personnel who run it. They have everything any rehab unit would need from simple resistance bands up to weightless running machines rowing machines etc and of course use of the pool.

Shin splints would involve exercises to keep up CV whilst resting the lower limb from impact and stress exercises. Gradual impact through walking and reduced weight jogging would be slowly reintroduced.

Don;t worry if you end up needing it whilst in RT/YO traing you will get it

@ThreadpigeonsAlpha types faster:D

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My nod is in Hunter just now. The physios and other rehab staff are amazing.
Other thing to know about Hunter is you'll have other nods who are further along the training path. That's an amazing resource to get some of the non physical skills studied or to have a look at what you would be doing further along the training path.
I remember someone saying Hunter is what you make of it.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
My nod is in Hunter just now. The physios and other rehab staff are amazing.
Other thing to know about Hunter is you'll have other nods who are further along the training path. That's an amazing resource to get some of the non physical skills studied or to have a look at what you would be doing further along the training path.
I remember someone saying Hunter is what you make of it.

I've mentioned it a few times. But to reiterate, of course nobody wants to go to hunter but for the lads who are productive and have the right attitude 100%, they will re enter training way ahead of the majority of lads in the troop, both in fitness and in professional knowledge.

Although many lads see hunter as opportunity to chill their beans while still giving it bertie biggen to their mates saying how hoofin they are.

Swings and roundabouts

Last edited:

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
We had a similar outfit in the Army and I would imagine the set up is mirrored at CTC. Essentially the company will comprise a multidisciplinary team of medical, PTI and administrative personnel who also have access to environmental health staff for specific assessments. The main effort is to provide an evidence-based recommendation on an individual's fitness for service. You’ll have access in there to band 7 physiotherapists and Doctors with vast experience in Muscoskeletal injuries. The aim is to establish a firm diagnosis so that an optimum treatment pathway can be devised. They really are top class.

Saracen1

Reaction score
Using shin splints, as in your post, may not be a good example.

Recruits in ROP who suffer them are not likely to enter up in Hunter for recovery as they are yet to enter full recruit training.

I speak from the experience of my lad who suffered shin splints during ROP in the summer, as did two others in his Troop.

He was MD’d, told to recover and reapply in twelve months time, providing evidence of fitness and no further problems.

Obviously I can only comment on his experience and it may be different depending on the individual recruit and the seriousness of their actual injury.

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @redmotive
Certain injuries do require rest from the rigours of training. There are always exercises/rehab you can do to maintain/improve the uninjured parts of the body. This is modified rest.
In addition, some injuries require changes in techniques, muscle firing patterns and postures. This can also be addressed in Hunter rehab, to expedite the recovery and prevent recurring or future injuries.
Hunter also works towards getting the recruit back to the correct level of fitness and skill for the particular stage they are rejoining.

bishopgab

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone say at the moment what is happening with the nods in isolation and the proceedings of returning to his troop once isolation is over
Just have concerns at this will be a great set back

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's not just for injured recruits if you don't pass criteria tests you will be put I to hunter until the next troop have caught up to where you are.
The vast majority of injuries in hunter arnt really severe they just prevent you from continuing training because there isn't much time to rest in training once you get Injured.

bishopgab

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My nod was on exercise with nod who was taken ill and sent home who then tested positive, my nod was tested positive but has no symptoms and put in isolation in room of his own, troop apparently also in isolation, my nods isolation ends on Monday unsure about the troop and training team

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My nod was on exercise with nod who was taken ill and sent home who then tested positive, my nod was tested positive but has no symptoms and put in isolation in room of his own, troop apparently also in isolation, my nods isolation ends on Monday unsure about the troop and training team
Surely a positive result for 2 individuals means the whole troop and training team then need to isolate?

MotherBear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My nod was in a troop in oct there were a few that tested positive for Covid so the whole troop isolated for 14 days, they started training again and yet another tested positive so they sent them all home for 8 weeks. It’s a good idea that they now have to have a negative test to go back and they test them all again after a week, saves so much time