Question about my exams + joining

alphashaun

Reaction score
I'm planning on going to my AFCO this week, or at least call them this week. I'd like to hand my application form in before my 18th birthday which is August 5th. That date also happens to be the day I get my Higher/A level results back.

Not that it matters, because i'm joining as a recruit and not an officer, but do you think they'd tell me to wait for my results, and would they pressure me into becoming an officer?

I think the A levels would look good on my App though, but I want to join as soon as possible.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's up to the individual whether they wish to join as an Officer or Other rank.

Obviously, if you are qualified for Officer we will make sure you're aware of it but the thing a lot of people forget is that academic qualifications alone are not what is required for a Royal Marines Officer - many people who are educationally qualified for Officer will never make it, not to put too fine a point on it, for as long as their posterior is vertically aligned with the deck.

good luck with the results, if nothing else it indicates you can stick at something until it's completed.

alphashaun

Reaction score
It's up to the individual whether they wish to join as an Officer or Other rank.

Obviously, if you are qualified for Officer we will make sure you're aware of it but the thing a lot of people forget is that academic qualifications alone are not what is required for a Royal Marines Officer - many people who are educationally qualified for Officer will never make it, not to put too fine a point on it, for as long as their posterior is vertically aligned with the deck.

good luck with the results, if nothing else it indicates you can stick at something until it's completed.

Yeah I understand. The thing is if they suggest I attempt to go in as an Officer and I tell them I don't want to because I don't think i'm capable, that looks bad on my part because I don't think I can be the best/push myself etc.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand. The thing is if they suggest I attempt to go in as an Officer and I tell them I don't want to because I don't think i'm capable, that looks bad on my part because I don't think I can be the best/push myself etc.

Just tell them it's not the role you wish to take,
explain that you have thought about an officer role but would prefer to take the commando route.

Joe

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Reason I did not go for officer - at this stage of my life the job doesnt appeal to me.

They won't mind as you have the choice, luckily this isnt communist russia ;)