Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Question about work and training

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Lemon, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi all,
    Im currently going through the application process and have spoken to my employer about joining the RMR, but im a bit concerned because I was told that it would not be supported by them as it could affect the buisness. They are concerned that the training requirements may interfere with work. I work 9-5 weekdays but on occaision I need to stay late or go on call. I cant find any info online about it so I thought I should ask here. If in the unlikely case I need to miss a drill night here or there (or be late), or leave during a drill night due to being on call (less likely but possible) or miss a weekend a year or the likes, how can I compensate for it if at all? Is there any flexibility at all? I have lots of previous experience in the irish infantry (reserve), so i dont think i would fall behind in that sense but if it is effecting my job i may not get a contract renewal and that was said to me by HR.

One other thing they are concerned about is the chance of me being deployed, I understand that its a long way away but can, does and eventually will happen. I dont really mind it but I cannot be replaced by anyone off the street, it takes months to train a replacement by witch time id likely be back home, what are the chances that their appeal would be accepted or rejected?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

For a RMR Trained Rank the prospect of being mobilised is a very real one.
    It might not be associated with deployment to a major conflict but possibly to balance manning shortfalls in the Regulars.

There are several threads about the RMR work-life juggling act available via the search box. Definitely worth a browse.

Related to one of your questions:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/rmr-deployment.64863/#post-691036

3. Teasly

Teasly Active Member

So during RT, there's a bit of flexibility with drill nights, you'll be able to miss the odd one as long as you let the training team know in advance. As for missing a weekend, they're extremely strict with this. I think you can miss one weekend for the whole of the process but only with a very good reason and letting them know well in advance. Certianly wouldn't advise missing one either as a lot is fit into each weekend.

As for mobilising, I'd tell your Employer to wind their neck in personally - It will take you around two years to become fully trained so that's in the distant future to start with, so you may have moved on by then anyway! But if you do pass out and are still with the same company, they will have an opportunity to appeal your mobilisation if you are asked, but if they are not successful, they need to suck it up.

I think the main thing you need to consider is the annual leave that you'll need to take for the continous training during RT. You need to take 2 weeks for Alpha course half way through and then a further 2 weeks for RFCC at the end of the training. The whole 4 weeks landed on one year for our troop, meaning a lot of lads had to use a lot of their annual leave for training. Your Employer sounds rather unreasonable so I'm assuming will not provide further leave, which would mean you could end up using your whole years holiday allowance for RT.

4. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I am quite familiar with the search, and I have read that thread but it dosent really answer my question.
    Has anyone in a similar position had an appeal against a deployment accepted? And is there any flex in the training to accomodate work?

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

If @ThreadpigeonsAlpha spots this thread he'll give you an overview from his perspective.

6. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks that gives me a bit of relief, im only on call once every 6-7 weeks so i can swap with somone else here

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

I’ll give an honest answer in a bit. But the official line is, it doesn’t interfere at work, but there is inherent problems unique to the RMR.

As long as you hit the weekends, and attend the majority of drill nights but have valid reasons for missing the nights, you will be ok.

8. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks, I think that should be fine then

9. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Great bit of advice haha I’m guessing you missed the lecture on negotiation. What would be your advice when they hand him a P45, tell him to say -“oi! lofty! I’m a nod.. drop down and give me 50” haha

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nightwolf

Nightwolf New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hello guyz
    I need to ask on behalf of this topic
    What if one cannot perform well during the swim exercise fitness will she /he be considered?I believe we are not good at everything

Thank You
    Nightwolf

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The RMR tend to employ a 'one size fits all' policy with regard notifying employers when you join the Reserve Forces and writes to your employer, usually within 5 weeks.

Few recruits are made aware of the fact you can apply for 12 month exemption of employer notification if you believe it disadvantages you. BUT, some civilian employment contracts expressly prohibit second jobs or Reserve Forces liabilities and it is worth checking this out in case you risk your primary employment.

There's some useful info on the gov.uk website and well worth browsing their advice: https://www.gov.uk/employee-reservist

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It's not really relevant to the thread topic but you cannot pass selection if you cannot swim. The advice is to take swimming lessons and be confident swimming around 150 metres breaststroke before attending PRMC. You also need to retrieve a brick about 3 metres underwater during PRMC

13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add to the advice from @Ninja_Stoker be aware of the contents of your contact of employment and/or the contents of staff handbooks. These documents will give an insight into express and implicit obligations on the part of both employee and employer.

A general overview of contracts here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/w...rights-and-contracts/contracts-of-employment/

Once armed with the facts negotiation is most likely to be the most successful strategy as alluded to by @R4Robotics

Larger organisations might have a clause which limits the number of Reserve personnel it will employ at any one time. If this is the case, the employer might also have a 'waiting list' of employees who aspire to embark on Reserve service. Such 'waiting lists' are often woefully out of date and the opportunity might arise whereby one can bump his or her name towards the top of that list.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MVP29

MVP29 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Nightwolf
    My nod was a qualified lifeguard when he did his PRMC and he said that retrieving the brick was seriously tough going.

15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

I can’t beleive I missed that post. I wouldn’t advise anyone telling their employer to “wind their neck in”. What the RMR fail to realise is that fulltime employment takes priority. That’s what keeps a roof over your head and food on the table. So quite frankly it’s RMR that needs to wind its neck in for a lot of it.

There is appeals processes to go through, that’s been discussed on this forum before. If it will affect your life, work and work progression.

There’s various problems with mobilising while self employed or undergoing contract work. Where a loss of income will happen.

16. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for the help guys, I am a bit more relieved about it now. I had a chace to get into my local unit and ask anything i needed to know. They were very helpful and seem to be quite accomodating.
    I also had lots of discussions with my employer about it (involving lots of reassurances about my job being my priority) and I am delighted to now have them on side, all without issue. next up interview and medicals!

• Like Like x 2
  17. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Best of luck lad. Keep us updated.

• Like Like x 1