Question for Ninja!

Az

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey ninja i hear you work at an afco

well his a question for you.

is it possible to apply for two careers at the same time.

example I want to be a marine but also want a back up choice..

i plan to apply for the royal marines at one AFCO and the RAF gunner at a 2nd AFCO ... Take the rafs 3day course and prmc at the same time (like 1 at weekend and another at the other weekend) and if i fail prmc il just continue with the RAF,

Can this be done? So that if you fail your prmc you dont hav to wait another 6months applying process.

*text deleted* guys this is just something i though i dont plan on failing but i just wanted to see if this is possible.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey ninja i hear you work at an afco

well his a question for you.

is it possible to apply for two careers at the same time.

example I want to be a marine but also want a back up choice..

i plan to apply for the royal marines at one AFCO and the RAF gunner at a 2nd AFCO ... Take the rafs 3day course and prmc at the same time (like 1 at weekend and another at the other weekend) and if i fail prmc il just continue with the RAF,

Can this be done? So that if you fail your prmc you dont hav to wait another 6months applying process.

*text deleted* guys this is just something i though i dont plan on failing but i just wanted to see if this is possible.

*text deleted* you cant do that! thats just stupid! and if you failed PRMC i dont think you have to wait another 6 month and you wont need to retake you RT (recruit tests) which is your psychometric, interview etc.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
that sounds a bit silly to me. Be commited to just one choice. If you are comited and determined enough then you can do it.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hang on a sec lads, dont kill him just yet. I think i read something on this forum about something like this you can do. Might be just a mistake, ill have a look for ya.

Best of luck.

:)

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cant find anything on it, sorry. But good idea, best of luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's preferred that if you want to join the Royal Marines, you apply to join the Royal Marines in a manner that indicates that you are 100% committed to the job.

It is entirely possible to apply for all three services simultaneously, albeit rather self-defeating as you are sending out signals that you are only half hearted about joining any particular job or are possibly even so desperate for a job that you'll take whatever jobs are offered.

If you're not sure, go for the service you feel you are more suited toward.

JPM

Reaction score
ive got an application for the raf going aswell as the marines but im def 100% commited to the marines but i don't know what might happen on my prmc, it might go horribly wrong and i might have to wait over 6 months before i can do it again and i cannot wait that long.

i know i def want a career in the armed forces and i am training like a B*text deleted**ard
for the marines e.g. rmr 2 times a week, running 3-4 times (1.5 mile down to 9.41 sec) a week, swimming, cycling, gym 3 times a week (includes events training, its like strongman training).

So i know that im 100% commited to the marines but cause of my situation i can't handle staying in civvy street if something goes wrong on my prmc.

Anyone can say what they like about me not beign commited but i plan on having a career in the armed forces so if that means going for my back-up instead of my 1st choice then so be it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As stated, there's nothing stopping you applying for other services and whilst it's appreciated that if you fail a PRMC, a 6 months delay may feel like a long wait (particularly for a younger applicant), but it certainly gauges your motivation and true reason to join a particular job.

If your job preference is purely driven by how quick & easy it is to join, then possibly it's worth taking stock of what you want at the end of it as the jobs are very different.

A quick fix or achieving your ultimate goal? If the goal is simply joining the Armed Forces, then maybe the Maines aren't the easiest of options.

JPM

Reaction score
i understand what your saying but life dosn't always work out the way you want.

I don't just want to join the armed forces i want to join with the toughest there are and thats what i got my mind set on but like i said it doesnt always work out the way you want (i not just talking about the physical side) and i need to have a back up plan just incase.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if you want to be part of the armed forces, join the army, its impossible to fail the selection/training process! however if you were like most people on here and wanted to join RM then you wouldnt even consider a 2nd choice! the RM for me is my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th choice! and always will be the only thing i consider until i get in! if i fail my PRMC i will take it positively and think optimistically, 6 month off is more time to train, and when you go back you will know fully what to expect! if you werent up to scratch 1st time around, train and be superman the 2nd time! simple as that! if you could dismiss failure into the RM just as easily as you have displayed in your thread then i would actually consider another totally different career! each armed force requires their applicants to be committed and determined! you dont show either!

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ever tried?

no, but *text deleted* on, u ever heard of anyone failing the BARB test?

my mate went for the Army and in his GCSE's the best grade he got was E

there BARB test consits of questions like...

2x6=

a) 90
b) 12
c) 45
d) 13
e) NONE OF THE ABOVE

Az

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ive got an application for the raf going aswell as the marines but im def 100% commited to the marines but i don't know what might happen on my prmc, it might go horribly wrong and i might have to wait over 6 months before i can do it again and i cannot wait that long.

i know i def want a career in the armed forces and i am training like a B*text deleted**ard
for the marines e.g. rmr 2 times a week, running 3-4 times (1.5 mile down to 9.41 sec) a week, swimming, cycling, gym 3 times a week (includes events training, its like strongman training).

So i know that im 100% commited to the marines but cause of my situation i can't handle staying in civvy street if something goes wrong on my prmc.

Anyone can say what they like about me not beign commited but i plan on having a career in the armed forces so if that means going for my back-up instead of my 1st choice then so be it.

hey thanks for your comment, how did you go about it? Cause im guessing you cant do it at the same afco???

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My friend has F's and G's. He passed his psychometric test.

exactly! heard the phrase 'the Army just recruits anyone' thats because most recruits are chavs that have no qualifications what so ever! so the tests have to be extremely easy!

Az

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys the reason i plan on applying for two is my apprenticeship finishes may/june time next year and *text deleted* got to leave the job once *text deleted* completed the apprenticeship otherwise il get stuckk in there contract have to stay for certain amount of years or be jobless, which i cant afford to be .. im planning to join RT asap after i finish my apprenticeship.. This is the reason i needed a back up plan! My Aim is being a royal marine commando but you know some circumstances in life just make it hard along the way.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So because your mate had an F and managed to pass the written test, the armys easy is it? Get real mate. If your joining the Infantry,26 (I think) weeks of Army training isnt something 'Anyone' can do. We are all biased towards the RM,but dont be under any illusions that,anything other than the RM is easy and requires no determination. Lots of people still fail to make the grade,in any service.

Anyone can be fit,but its when your out in the feild,cold ,wet,tired and hanging that people wrap,army,marines,para's etc.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
So because your mate had an F and managed to pass the written test, the armys easy is it? Get real mate. If your joining the Infantry,26 (I think) weeks of Army training isnt something 'Anyone' can do. We are all biased towards the RM,but dont be under any illusions that,anything other than the RM is easy and requires no determination. Lots of people still fail to make the grade,in any service.

Anyone can be fit,but its when your out in the feild,cold ,wet,tired and hanging that people wrap,army,marines,para's etc.

Thought it was 24?,
26 for Paras enit?

And yeah the army is tough,
just because you don't need good grades to join doesn't mean it's not tough,
it doesn't require you to be academically clever but it does require some balls and hard work.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
hey thanks for your comment, how did you go about it? Cause im guessing you cant do it at the same afco???

It doesn't make any difference where you apply as it's a tri-service computer system, so multiple applications are visible to all.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
He passed his psychometric test for the RM mate. It's not about your GCSE's.

so your saying someone without an education could have done well on the mathematics side of the psychometric? its not about grades but your grades are a direct reflection on your knowledge and intelligence! so yea, you can actually say it is about grades!

and come on! i know like more than 15 people who have done Army training and none of them have amazing grades! some of whome dont have any grades but still passed BARB test for Army- has anyone ever met anyone who has failed the BARB test? its quite a rare occurance!

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
GCSEs dont mean a thing mate..... Youll meet your fair share of numptys in the Corp. The only reason theres a lot of biffers in the Army is because of its numbers,and such a wide range of jobs, as opposed to one standard that every Royal Marine Recruit must be at before starting training.

Some of the best soldiers are lads that maybe didnt focus too well at school,but at switched on,determined,and have common sense.

Just becuse the BARB test isnt as hard as the Royal Marine paper (Which to be honest,isnt that hard anyway) bares no relevance on how 'easy' their recruit training is.