Question regarding medical letter recieved

Boplicity

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I had my medical phone call on Friday and was told due to a scaphoid fracture earlier this year I cannot proceed due to the fractures within 12 months policy. On the letter it tells me I have been found to be medically unfit, it then tells me why (the scaphoid fracture). It says if I want to appeal I have to gather information on ALL past ailments I have declared. The letter then goes on to explain the appeals process but what worries me is where it says "you will need to discuss the process of appeal with your AFCO Careers Advisor and refer to the military letter you received confirming the clinical decision (AFCO PMU letter) and your case will be reviewed by single service medical experts"

My question is, Am I to receive a letter informing me I have been made PMU due to a tiny fracture or is this what this letter is telling me? The Nurse I spoke to on the phone said that was the only thing holding me back so PMU seems very steep to me!

Also is this even worth appealing? I was told at the hospital my hand is now absolutely fine with no lasting effects, if I was to get my GP to declare this in writing as well as the consultant who saw me at the hospital do I stand a chance?

This has been a disheartening blockade on my road to where I wish to be and i hope there is a way to reach that end goal.

Regards

Boplicity

Reaction score
Finally spoke to capita. I've been made PMU due to the fracture but can appeal in September 2018. Anyone had experience with this and know how likely it is the appeal with be successfull? When the fracture happened they said no lasting effects will be seen and will fully heal.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I had my medical phone call on Friday and was told due to a scaphoid fracture earlier this year I cannot proceed due to the fractures within 12 months policy. On the letter it tells me I have been found to be medically unfit, it then tells me why (the scaphoid fracture).

I'm not qualified to give you a definitive answer. Your man for that is @Ninja_Stoker
But as I understand it most fractures attract—if that's the word—a twelve month wait. Obviously you could appeal the decision but you should perhaps manage your expectations. An appeal might take up to six months anyway.

This has been a disheartening blockade on my road to where I wish to be and i hope there is a way to reach that end goal.

Yep, but it's a minor blockade. Get a firm grip and hurdle it. Twelve months will fly past, trust me on that. Best of luck.

Finally spoke to capita. I've been made PMU due to the fracture but can appeal in September 2018.

My bold. I don't undertstand this bit. Do you mean that you can re-apply in September 2018? Did your fracture occur around September 2017?

Boplicity

Reaction score
I have decided not to appeal. Policy is policy and its there for a reason, i would appeal if i felt it was a misdiagnosis but i did indeed fracture my hand in september.
The lad on the phone from capita said i am PMU and will remain PMU until i appeal but this can only be done in september 2018.

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Just to make you aware it is 6 months for Scaphoid, you will need to appeal the decision with a full outline of what has been done a definitive to say that it has healed perfectly. I am led to believe that sometimes they can lose blood supply when healing.
Hope this is good news for you? :)

Boplicity

Reaction score
This is fantastic! I will get checked asap ready for 6 months time! So when i appeal do i restart the whole process or just pick up to the next stage? Also would it be correct for capita to tell the this is a PMU and any reason why they told me 12 month?

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Pick up the next stage. Capita have made a mistake this information came form the Medical Cell who will deal with your appeal. And you will have to reapply online but they will still hold your documents.

Boplicity

Reaction score
This is brilliant! So just to confirm if sucessfull i will re apply and then skip the written test, eye test and initial medical paperwork?

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Yes you just need to supply a signed medical appeal letter with all the supporting documentation for the appeal. Then wait up to 3 weeks and then once made fit you will have your face to face medical. Now you have no excuse failing any part of joining as you have all this time to prepare. And next Christmas will be even better as you should be in training. -nailbiting-

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A good illustration that sometimes it's worth airing a query on the forum, despite thinking otherwise.

Contrary to the outward perception, we aim to recruit rather than reject ;)

Good luck, let's hope it goes the right way.

Boplicity

Reaction score
A good illustration that sometimes it's worth airing a query on the forum, despite thinking otherwise.
Couldn't be more true, was gutted when i thought thats my dream just dashed, went from 54kg and skinny as a rake to the high 60s and in shape to pass the fitness aspects of PJFT and PRMC, the thought of my journey ending there after all that work... -nailbiting-
But this forum has shown its wealth of knowledge and support in one swift hit. Thanks alot and i owe you lads a beer! Haha

Like Chub said, if my appeal goes though theres no excuse now!

New Threads