Question regarding Medical

AaronLewis21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of my Royal Marines application and I am at the medical stage. In 2016 I was deemed ‘unfit’ for my blood pressure being elevated, however, since having blood tests, producing urine samples and also an echocardiogram the Doctor gave me the all clear and has stated he is happy for me to join and it has been signed.

However, my issue is, that in the medical, if my blood pressure is elevated, can it be overruled by the doctor conducting the medical?

Can someone who has experienced TMU or has been through a similar situation help me out? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently in the process of my Royal Marines application and I am at the medical stage. In 2016 I was deemed ‘unfit’ for my blood pressure being elevated, however, since having blood tests, producing urine samples and also an echocardiogram the Doctor gave me the all clear and has stated he is happy for me to join and it has been signed.

However, my issue is, that in the medical, if my blood pressure is elevated, can it be overruled by the doctor conducting the medical?

Can someone who has experienced TMU or has been through a similar situation help me out? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been made TMU twice and failed a 3rd paper note medical which couldn’t be decided either until it was referred then passed by the higher ups.
It’s hard to say with capita because the slightest thing they will TMU to cover there own end I know you have your blood pressure checked at medical but I’m not sure what would happen if it’s slightly over even if you have been passed fit buy your own GP.

I had up to date medical notes from my GP but capita still wouldn’t pass on them so it’s quite hard to actuslly know where you stand , I know with the pjft if you blood pressure is high you can’t take it and I have got one of them from my go yesterday as the gym told me if I have this I can still take the test regardless of the pressure test which could be down to nerves.

When do you have your medical? Best thing to do is just see what happens when you attend it as if they say there’s any issue they will let you know straight away but it’s s good thing you got all those notes and up to date papers as if worse comes to shove it will get referred and they will be a lot more lenient then.

Good luck keep us updated

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If your BP is high on the day of your medical the odds are you'll be advised to wear a 24 hour monitor to prove it's just white coat syndome. Avoid tea/coffee or energy drinks for at least 24 hours before your medical and go for a gentle run an hour or more before your face to face medical examination.

AaronLewis21

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Although blood pressure is a chronic illness, there are plenty of things that elevate BP as you have stated, but I thought given medical clearance by your GP and/or Doctor they would pass you and take into consideration it is down to nerves.

My medical is on the 12th of December and I have trained hard since May, losing 3 and a half stone, reaching 88kg (hard to believe I come from a sporting background but uni hit me hard) so if I’m deferred again it’ll break me However, all I can do is take my notes and hope for the best.

I will be in touch,

Cheers

AaronLewis21

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice on the run, I never really thought about that. Much appreciated

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Although blood pressure is a chronic illness, there are plenty of things that elevate BP as you have stated, but I thought given medical clearance by your GP and/or Doctor they would pass you and take into consideration it is down to nerves.

My medical is on the 12th of December and I have trained hard since May, losing 3 and a half stone, reaching 88kg (hard to believe I come from a sporting background but uni hit me hard) so if I’m deferred again it’ll break me However, all I can do is take my notes and hope for the best.

I will be in touch,

Cheers

You actuslly remind me of myself and my application.!

I thought that was the case to but they have there own medical standards so they just look st something and if there not happy they’ll get second opionions so kinda drags on a bit.

I applied in April had to lose over 3 stone myself buy the medical which was August failed that just slightly over BMI , passed BMI second medical September but failed on another stupid issue went to a 3rd medical(paper medical) in October they couldn’t make decision then got referred to higher ups who passed me in November!

I got my pjft on Wednesday I’m also 28 and was frustrated and just had enough basically but I didn’t give I’m as that’s what I really want so don’t lose hope as long as you still got a chance just keep with it and you will get there in the end!

Good luck

AaronLewis21

Reaction score
Hopefully everything can be cleared up there and then anyway. Good luck in your PJFT by the way

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully everything can be cleared up there and then anyway. Good luck in your PJFT by the way

Yea hopefully don’t give up tho if it’s a worse case scenario keep us updated.

And thankyou

New Threads