Question?

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How many times can you be backtrooped before being discharged?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why bother asking questions like this-it's so negative and stuff like this wrecks your state of mind. Don't even think about it mate-have confidence, smash it!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
How many times can you be backtrooped before being discharged?

It depends when you're back-trooped & for what reason.

If you can be a bit more specific on whether you intend being injured, what ailments/illnesses and whether they will manifest within the first 56 days of training, or whether you intend failing gym pass-out, the Commando Tests, etc., and we'll do our best to advise.

Alternatively you could try being positive about the outcome and cross that bridge only if you really have to.

Consider using the phrase: "Failure is not an option" as the way ahead.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know i will pass first time, its just my body dont really take well to *text deleted*, so im worried if i get get injured,get repaired and get injured again!!.

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So what happens if you get the flu or an injury that will take 2 or 3 weeks to heal within the first 16 weeks of training? Do you get booted out?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i think you'd get put into hunter troop till you're better then back trooped to wherever you were in the training.
Anyone know how many troops are trained each year and how often a new troop's training starts?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Basically if an injury occurs within the first 56 days of training you could be discharged on medical grounds if it is a condition which has a previous history, otherwise you will be rehabilitated in Hunter Troop/Company/Battalion (or whatever it is this week).

If you "break" after this period they will attempt to rehabilitate you, but if the condition is such that the medical experts believe you cannot be gainfully employed further, then you can be medically discharged. (If it's a recurring problem with little prospect of recovering to the extent that you would be unlikely to successfully complete Recruit Training.)

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you could be discharged on medical grounds
Don't want to sound like a sycophant (wrong word- greedy, money seeking merchant type) here but do you get any type of recovery time pay if you're medically discharged during RT?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Don't want to sound like a sycophant (wrong word- greedy, money seeking merchant type) here but do you get any type of recovery time pay if you're medically discharged during RT?

If your injury is directly attributable to the service, rather than an unforeseen accident or personally avoidable circumstances, then after an Employability Assessment, the degree to which the service is liable will be assessed by a Medical Board of Survey and recompense awarded if appropriate.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So say if i pull my groin or something will i be allowed to return to training?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
So say if i pull my groin or something will i be allowed to return to training?

It's a bit pointless thinking about hypothetical instances as the list of potential injuries is endless.

If you've a history of groin injuries and they re-occur, then you MAY be discharged. If it's a fresh unrelated injury they will try to rehabilitate you, but if the chances of recovery are remote you could still be medically discharged.

Try to look at it in a positive manner.

S

Sotiris

Ninja,

Just out of curiosity what happens if you get severely injured during RT and they have to discharge you? I know that during my national service before our service expired we had to undergo a full medical to see if we had suffered any lung/joints/other damage...and if we had they'd try their best to pass the blame to a previous condition hehe.

But say if you are injured and your walking/eyesight/hearing or what ever remains permanently damaged is there any kind of compensation? Basically what happens to recruits who they "break" hehe?

Equally, does the Corps pay "blood money" to the family who has lost a son in action?

Or is there one big form with lots of tiny print saying "The Corps of the Royal Marine Commandos is not responsible for any injuries, ailments, conditions or fatalities suffered during recruit training or active service" that you have to sign hehe?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja,

Just out of curiosity what happens if you get severely injured during RT and they have to discharge you? I know that during my national service before our service expired we had to undergo a full medical to see if we had suffered any lung/joints/other damage...and if we had they'd try their best to pass the blame to a previous condition hehe.

But say if you are injured and your walking/eyesight/hearing or what ever remains permanently damaged is there any kind of compensation? Basically what happens to recruits who they "break" hehe?

Equally, does the Corps pay "blood money" to the family who has lost a son in action?

Or is there one big form with lots of tiny print saying "The Corps of the Royal Marine Commandos is not responsible for any injuries, ailments, conditions or fatalities suffered during recruit training or active service" that you have to sign hehe?

Again, if an injury occurs within training you could be discharged on medical grounds if it is a condition which has a previous history, otherwise you will be rehabilitated in Hunter Troop unless it's a severe injury which negates your chances of completing training or continuing to serve.

Likewise if you "break" once trained they will attempt to rehabilitate you, but if the condition is such that the medical experts believe you cannot be gainfully employed further, then you can be medically discharged.

You undergo an employability assessment and a medical board of survey. The purpose is to ascertain the extent of your injuries & whether you can continue to be gainfully employed.

In the event you are discharged the service will assess if the injury is attributed to your job and if so to what degree. Generally for non-combat injuries that are 100% service attributable you will get some sort of disability pension and possibly a lump sum if it warrants it. I've no idea what figures are involved or how it's calculated

Combat injuries and death are dealt with by the MoD and there's a sliding scale of compensation dependent on who injured you and to what extent. Criminal compensation can be paid in certain circumstances, but it's all rather complicated & I'm certainly no expert in that area.

Many people take out additional accident insurance and there is one company recommended that pays out for accident & life insurance in operational theatres, PAX but it's stressed this is for accidental injury.

The other thing most people join is the RNDF - for an annual subscription of £3.00 deducted from pay, it currently provides a payment of £10,000 to the nominated person within
48 hours of a Service person’s death.