question?

gibbo

Reaction score
alrite lads, was wondering if u guys, wen u go running do it with weight on *text deleted* back? i.e rucksack and stuff?

also, cant really afford a gym at moment due to leaving my job, how the hell do i measure out like miles and half miles *text deleted*

ta

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
A few of the guys on here do an occasional run with weight on our backs but the official view of the Navy is not to do any of this type of running before RT (if memory serves).

IF you look in the fitness section of the forum you will find a thread like this http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1618 that gives advice on how to calculate distances via online programs.

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
hey gibbo. i don't run with weight, as i've been told that you shouldn't. they start that in training and the increase in weight is gradual so you don't get injured.

to calculate the distance just go to

www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RoutePlanner.asp

or

www.walkjogrun.net/

and just map out your run.

Say I want to run 3 miles i'll just map out my route and stop when it gets to 3 miles. if I want to find out how long it takes me to run it i'll just use my ipod as a timer(yes i have 20+ minute songs on it)

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
:dito: agreed, do not run with weights on your back because you might end up hurting your self.

and http://www.walkjogrun.net/ is the best site for measuring out distances.

THE ISH

Reaction score
To be honest i think its good to incorporate a bit of weight in to youre training programme, i understand why the powers that be suggest you dont use any weight before RT because of injury.

But i can also tell you from experiance some of the lads who are phys ninjas in the gym at lympstone struggle when they get the weight and boots on.

now because im quite stocky and small in height for some reason i love load carrying and speed marching with weight, i can do it all day long no problem but im not quite as good a the quick sprint stuff in trainers.

i think its personell choice as an indavidual so long as you dont go mad with it. it cant be a bad thing getting you used to boots and weight

like someone said in a another post the pti`s build you upto it but to be honest you dont get much fitter in RT before you start with the weight because the body doesnt have time to recover much in training this is just how i see it im not a pyhs instructor mind you.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey gibbo, yea i agree with the other guys, using a rooksack is dangerous if you haven't been tought how to use it i.e the bad you use to how you pack it.
But i used to use rist weights or ancle weights and i never had a problem with them.
To your second question, you don't need an expensive gym. Like most of the exercises the marines will do will hardly need aperatus, i,e pressups, situps, pullups and running. Ive gone over that and bought a tredmill off my sister for £250 when she moved out, i think it was a waiste of money..
Good luck with your training!

THE ISH

Reaction score
LADS ITS THE *text deleted**text deleted*ING MARINES NOT THE GIRL GUIDES!!!:kult:

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The faster you get at running/carrying weight, the faster you will be at running/carrying no weight - FACT.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Each to their own really i think. All i would say is if you do start running with weight do not over exert yourself, as in do not start with too much weight. Also only run with boots on as if you go over on your ankle you will be screwed.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Personally you need a good base level of fitness beforehand before you even think about running with any sort of weight, running in a nike jogging tracksuit soaked through in the rain is like running with weight on your back, gets proper heavy :fly::fly:

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cant say *text deleted* ever tried that... *text deleted* but yes absolutely no point doing it unless your already reasonably fit otherwise the you would reap just as many benefits by giving maximum effort everytime!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
LADS ITS THE *text deleted**text deleted*ING MARINES NOT THE GIRL GUIDES!!!:kult:

Correct, however if the training teams that create commando's say you shouldn't run with weight before actually being invited to train as a commando its generally a good idea to listen.

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
The faster you get at running/carrying weight, the faster you will be at running/carrying no weight - FACT.

so what you're saying is the faster you get at running, the faster you get at running.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, replace the / in my quote to 'with' and it all makes sence. :doh:

THE ISH

Reaction score
Correct, however if the training teams that create commando's say you shouldn't run with weight before actually being invited to train as a commando its generally a good idea to listen.

Yeah i see youre point and i would have agreed with you before i started RT, but what im saying from my experiance of being in recruit training !! if i had known what i know now i would have done a little more training with weight!

but youre entitled to youre opinion as am i, if you ever get into training let me know what you think after hunters moon!! say know more.....

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i see youre point and i would have agreed with you before i started RT, but what im saying from my experiance of being in recruit training !! if i had known what i know now i would have done a little more training with weight!

but youre entitled to youre opinion as am i, if you ever get into training let me know what you think after hunters moon!! say know more.....

You got to week 14 mate, you might not be but you sound like you're gobbing off a bit too much in this thread

To the OP, there really is no need to run with weight. The sessions prior to PRMC and Recruit Training should all be about intensity. You can make a session completely evil without any need to add weight

I would however advise a weighted vest (around 10lb) for all bodyweight exercises as this will massively increase endurance when not wearing it

THE ISH

Reaction score
You got to week 14 mate, you might not be but you sound like you're gobbing off a bit too much in this thread

To the OP, there really is no need to run with weight. The sessions prior to PRMC and Recruit Training should all be about intensity. You can make a session completely evil without any need to add weight

I would however advise a weighted vest (around 10lb) for all bodyweight exercises as this will massively increase endurance when not wearing it

Mate im not gobbing off!! whats youre point week 14?? What i have said in this thread is being taken out of context. im not telling anyone to go out load youreself up with weight and beast youreself around the hills,

im just saying from my own point of view from what knowlege i gained in RT be it a mere wk 14!! i personelly would have done some training with weight thats all, it may go against the grain of what the experts say but i think it would have helped my pyhs, sorry if it sounded like i was gobbing off sometimes text can come across like that.