Questions about running

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright lads, i still know hardly anything about running and have a few questions i would like to ask.

1) I started running for the first time in a while friday( 0.54m ) i was exhausted and out of breath, coughing for about 30 mins after and was sick. The next morning my chest, stomach and all over my legs were aching, i was walking like something was stuck up my ass. When it came to the evening i felt i had it in me to go for the run again, so i did the same run and this time i wasn't coughing at all and i could stand by the end of it. But sunday morning i was aching quite a lot around my stomach, chest and legs so i rested. Today my legs feel alot better, though i can still feel the ache near the groin and the back of my feet, so what i want to know is this ache good? and should i be running 4/5 days a week or just 3 days week ( mon, wed, fri ) seing as i have only done 2 runs?

2) I eat my meals roughly 1h30m before i do my run, is this a good or bad idea? i've tryed to cut down on the size of the meals as i'm usually a bit greedy when it comes to sausages etc :p

3) I'm currently carrying more than enough fat ( 15.2/5 stone ) 6"3. Will i be able to see an increase in the distance i can run or will i not see anything until i lose most of my fat?

I know these are pretty basic questions but i don't know anyone into fitness that i can ask and google is useless *text deleted*.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The first week you will struggle with aches and pains but they will go by the 2nd-3rd week. As for your running 0.54 isn't really far enough so I'd start off jogging 2-3 miles and slowly pick up your speed over time. Aim for 6-7 minute miles.

chris*

Reaction score
Alright buddy this will help you start running and enjoying it, the problem with people who try to run for the first time is that they try to do too much too soon! you will end up with allsorts of *text deleted* if you dont start off slowly mate.
This is a nine week plan for getting you running 3miles http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
this will give you a good base to start training properely.

Chris

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:dito:

i would do slower runs over longer distances...

i suffered a lot with aches and pains after my first week or 2 of running and circuits...i found myself taking more rest periods than i had planned which annoyed me , its worth it, soon you will start to run and workout without getting aches and pains...you will still get out of breathm but thats *text deleted* running does that to you, no matter how fit u are *text deleted*

just keep plugging away "it will comE *text deleted*:notes:

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for all the responses lads. I don't think i can run slower as i have quite long legs and the speed i go is what i feel comfy at, though i seem to be able to clear a street in about 10 seconds :S

I'm downloading those podcosts as we speak so thank you both for the recommendations!

More advice welcomed!

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i know this isnt running but when i first started weights i was in the most pain i have ever felt in my life =[ but then it gets way better mate dont worry

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i just got back from the same run i did the last 2 days and i'm seeing an increase already. I slowed down the pace a tab and i found it a lot easier but felt like i was running a bit awkward but ohwell *text deleted*. Think i can increase the run a little tomorrow, plus the aches have died down a bit!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
it might have been said but you it doesn't matter too much about your fat percentage, i have about 15% fat on me and im one of the fitest people in my class and the fit ones can do a hell of a lot when you watch them.

its all about muscle development, i heard of a girl once who wanted to loose weight for dancing, so she would workout like a maniac, but never lost her fat, insted she gained muscle under her fat which pissed her off because she looked twice as big. but she could bloody move.

at the end of the day, dont worry about fat % or anything like that, as long as you eat well (cut down on the sausages by the way, change it to chicken, much better for you. too much red meat is bad) and exercise to the best of your ability then everything will take care of itself. hell you might not even lose any fat but be able to pass the prmc.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok lads, now that i can crack the 0.54m with my eyes closed should i up the run a little bit? maybe just instead of stopping at my house carry on until the end of the next road? then should i get used to running that little bit extra distance and up it a bit again?

Normster

Reaction score
Yes, sounds like a good idea. Let your body feel comfortable at running that distance then move out of your comfort zone and run for further the next time, and just keep repeating that.