Questions, questions..

okgo

Reaction score
Good evening chaps,

Been exploring the site, and also other sites, trying to gain as much info as possible.

Story is this, I have just turned 21, and have been working in various jobs (sales) since I left college at 17, I almost joined the army back then, but didn't in the end.
So now, being bored of the life I have, I want to be part of the unit, and test what I am good at, which is mental and physical strength.

So I have literally only applied to speak to one of the chaps today, so its all to come. However, I am not idiot and should think the tests should be fine. What I would like to know is what I should be doing, right now training wise..

I am 6.1 just under 15 stone, got probably a bit of BF, but am fairly strong and can pull my own weight fairly easily. From what I have read, the fact I can squat 200kg is not a requirement.

So also what I would like to know is what kind of routes there are in the marines..I do not have the two A-levels for officer training, and would prefer to try and do it in house rather than postpone this so I can get two A-levels..

So can I get in and then do it? Do people specialize in different areas? Is their a lot of room for progression? What kind of time-scales are in place?

I know this is assuming I can get in, but if you can give me any info on the above, that would be great. As said I should think I am strong enough, just not fit enough, and could do with stripping excess weight off..

Thanks in Advance, Rob.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Welcome to the site mate,

I'm not the best to advise you on your career path as their are others on here much more knowledgable, but best of luck to you.

C

critchmufc

marines get paid decent wage, officers get paid good wage, along with a slightly higher standard of fitness

i wouldnt be able to do a levels again as i left college a few months ago after the first year...twas rubbish

but if you want to get fitter and your good with press ups etc.

runrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrun

you will improve your fitness and loose weight, so then press ups etc. will be easier, but still do them

okgo

Reaction score
Cheers, well I will get runnin I think :)

The money is not the reason for joining really, as I suspect to get to what I am earning now will take a long time in the force.

But thanks for your input..Keep the advice coming :D

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

As correctly stated, CV fitness is the main area you will probably need to address as you need to be lithe & able to run the distance (3 miles plus, aiming for 7 minute miles, 3 x per week) rather than lift heavy weights. Swimming & cycling are a good method of non-impact CV on the alternate days you aren't actually running.

With weight you should be looking at much smaller weights with repetitions rather than hoofing big heavy ones. For upper body you need to be focusing on back-handed, thumbs out pull-ups, chin above the beam/bar, feet off the ground, legs not crossed. You also need to be doing close-arm press-ups with your elbows brushing your sides on each dip, hands shoulder width apart.

You also need to be practising knees-together sit-ups.

Good luck.

okgo

Reaction score
Yes, I will start this right away, I think I will go for a run each night and such, and just go to the gym to try pull ups and such.

How long will it take for them to contact me, I sent my details to them on the website for them to call me..

Thanks guys..

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you submit your details on the website they get sent to a central call centre (virtual AFCO type thing) and they will be able to give you general advice as well as a bit more information but don't actually process your application.

If you want to get the ball rolling asap give you local AFCO a call and they will be able to help.

okgo

Reaction score
Well I have got the pack coming in the post. Just went to the gym for the first time, man I am not fit.

Think it will have to be running and cycling daily to bring this back...

okgo

Reaction score
In regards to the fitness test (PJFT)

I have looked through the 16 page thread on it, and I understand how it all works. My question is, can you wear what you want? And can you take water?

My problem with treadmills is that they are usually in sweaty places like gyms and are very hot...

Also I am planning on attacking the times tomorrow to see how much I die.. Is this the best way, just keep hammering it untill it gets easier?

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In regards to the fitness test (PJFT)

I have looked through the 16 page thread on it, and I understand how it all works. My question is, can you wear what you want? And can you take water?

My problem with treadmills is that they are usually in sweaty places like gyms and are very hot...

Also I am planning on attacking the times tomorrow to see how much I die.. Is this the best way, just keep hammering it untill it gets easier?

Wear what you want mate (within reason) take water, you can drink it during the 1 minute respite you get between each run

As for hammering it, yes and no really. Don't think about it as getting fit for the PJFT more so think of it as getting fit for recruit training. Lots of sprints, distance runs and bodyweight circuits. The fitness from this will, as a by product, improve your treadmill capacity

Still practice on treadmills (I hate the *text deleted**text deleted*ing things) but don't make it your primary focus, yeah?