Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Questions Regarding Medical and Initial Testing

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by redmotive, Feb 6, 2020.

1. redmotive

redmotive New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    How early on is the medical? I know in the army the medical is right at the end during the assessment centre but is it any quicker for the Royal Marines? I also wouldn't mind an ETA on my initial testing from the application stage after confirmation. A week? Month?
    Finally, I've been using this* as a guideline for medical restrictions - can I be comfortable in knowing this is an exhaustive list? Many thanks in advance.
    *https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...ity-form--trhj-version1final2018.pdf?la=en-gb

2. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@redmotive , Your time from application to initial recruit testing can be about 2 weeks(but could be a bit longer), most offices run one or two sessions a week so if you are free 2 -3 weeks is about right for most. As for your medical, this bit depends on you completing the required paperwork. Initially, you need to complete an eye test at Boots (via codes issued by the careers office) and then get you paperwork to Capita, they will then complete a triage - phone call - medical with you and then you move to the face to face medical, this can all be done within 1 month if you do your bit and don't have any medical issues along the way .!!.

And no the list you have is not exhaustive in any way - if you really feel the need to look the info up it is available on google - JSP 950 is the rule book used by all services. and you fall into the pre-entry area of the book.

• Like Like x 1
  3. redmotive

redmotive New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @The guide
    Thank you for this response - especially the information on the JSP 950. I will clarify now, the reason I ask of this is because I used to have depression. Previously I applied for the army and even passed the assessment centre at Glencorse with an A grade (qualifying me for PRAC should I go that route) but after I got back I got the bad news - they looked over my medical again and decided I didn't qualify (even after dealing with this in the application phase)... I ended up wasting months of my time for this and I'm trying to bounce back. From a cursory read over on that document it seems I need to wait a minimum of two years since my depression (I never took medication either). Think I can get through now or will end up waiting?

4. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

I would not even guess at an answer for you as you are aware of your medical history and I am not.!! , you can apply of course and await the outcome of the medical process and an appeal route does exist if you think the decision is wrong...but your appeal must be on the basis of that...not the actual standard set.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You could try going to you GP and getting written authorizing from them, stating that you are clear of all symptoms and ready to begin the training. Some guys on here with histories of sciatica, managed to get it appealed by doing that.