Questions regarding security clearance

blakepaterson

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking to join the Marines after christmas, Jan 2008. I have quite a bit of debt and a couple of loans have gone to default etc. I have no ccjs. Does this matter on the security clearance? I am currently paying them at a reduced rate etc through a few debt collection agencies.

Thanks,

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Mate look out for a guy called Ninja Stoker - He's an RM recruiter, he should have a fair idea.
What i'd also do is get a copy off your credit file and see how that looks, it should give you a rough idea what way your credit history stands at the moment.

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've got loans and credit cards and i had no problem when i let them know, suppose it depends on how much your paying off etc...

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Wellcome to PRMC!

Rough rule of thumb, in order to gain security clearance;

You must get in touch with your creditors' to ensure they are willing to provide a "letter of satisfaction" which indicates you have rectified any defaulted payments & are repaying their loan to their satisfaction. Outstanding defaulted payments, unresolved CCJ's, bankruptcy & independent voluntary contributions can be a bar to entry.

Your outgoings must not exceed 50% of your income when you join, in other words, you must not be paying more than £400 per month in regular outgoings.

Be aware you can be discharged for "financial irresponsibility", so the moral to the story is get your finances in order before you join. Your superiors do not have time to mess about sorting your finances out for you- it's easier just to discharge you.

Good luck.