Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Quezzies for a trained rank

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Welshy, Jan 20, 2020.

1. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

I’m just *text deleted* drop in my experience on the scran, the majority of the time the scran was not great to say the least but you do get plenty of it. Some days it’s out right horrendapigs. Some days are not so bad, I remember spicy bacon pasta being a favourite. The naffi and the cafe which is now in jollies are good but they are mega expensive. The naffi prices are stupid, but it’s how they make their buck, nods can’t go anywhere else. There’s dutchies too but it doesn’t open till late, that’s usually a post run ashore venture. Also I’m pretty sure Exmouth dominos makes it living solely from CTC. I used to hardly ever eat on camp on the weekends if I could avoid it, it’s a chance to get some decent food into you. Sorry it sounds really negative but it’s just my experience.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Welshy

Welshy Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

I used to thin out on the weekends to I think it’s called Samson’s smoke house on the quayside near Beir Keller, hoofing scran

aye I used to stock up on the weekends from Tesco and that for little nibbles for the week when the scran was sub par

On the topic of dominos, you’re not wrong mate my section when I was a nod spent £150 in one go

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Are your weekends mostly your own during RT then?

4. Welshy

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Earlier stages of phase one not so much but for the majority of training yeah (bar bottom field practice in the morning and endurance course practices nearing the end of training)

5. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
  6. Welshy

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Think phase one it’s just before midnight phase two it’s just before 0200

but I could be wrong it’s been a while

7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

There's a Toby carvery just down the hill from CTC, which does quite well on Sundays with visits from Nods, plus all the brand name eateries are in Exeter.

As I have mentioned before on here, I had no problem with the scran at CTC and was as good as I got at home. Trouble is, I can't remember if it was CTC that was good, or my Mum was a crap cook, or the other way round! ;)

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
  8. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

I dunno what it was with the scran at ctc but I always needed to “go” many times during the day. Either it was the sheer amount I was eating or they added milk powder to the food just for kicks

I remember crimping one off in the bushes before getting set off on the endurance course, and using a stick to ‘clean’ myself

• Like Like x 2
  9. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    39578E14-22A0-400E-88BB-2FD5950501B6.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  10. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

In n out or round and round?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 7
  11. corvus

corvus Royal Marines Commando

• Like Like x 1
  12. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

no comment

13. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    If I do need to, will it count towards my endurance course time on PRMC? :D

14. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Saturday for me was into Exeter for Bills breakfast and then down to “on the waterfront” restaurant for the 30inch pizza and then a few wets with the lads.

Sunday was admin day so couple of packets of hobnobs and as early a night as I could.

15. Welshy

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

Think it’s more a case
    Now of dirty breakfast wrap from the bootneck cafe into town for toppers scran then like a plague of locusts swarm timepiece nightclub

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Train journey to Starcross railway station.
    Run along the Exe to Turf Locks: two beers.
    Run along the canal to Double Locks: two beers and an over-priced Scotch egg.
    Run further to The Prospect Inn on Exeter Quay: two beers.
    Followed by a whisky or three at Tabac Taphouse while waiting for a train home.

Before the Well House Tavern burned down it was the perfect stop between the two venues for anyone worried that they might dehydrate on the walk down to the quay. :)

17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

A few years ago, a former Bootneck and myself planned to run from Exmouth to Sidmouth, have a few beers there and get the bus back. Our plan went out the window when we both got shiters and then found out that we did not have enough cash for the bus journey!

We had no option but to run back, which was quite hilarious to see a couple of so called responsible 40 plus year olds trying to run up Peak Hill coming out of Sidmouth! Needless to say we got back slightly more sober than when we left Sidmouth.

Who says you can't have fun as you get older!

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Just because you aren't someone who starts fights or walks away from one. Such as street fights doesnt mean you cant have the mindset to be a great soldier. The alpha male brutalitly doesn't make someone a great soldier. Just hot headed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Mhmm. I can totally see that! Reckless and soldiering can’t be a good combination!

20. Welshy

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It’s a matter so being selective when you use your aggression it’s not a thing that needs to be constantly on display it takes more skill to be able to turn it off on and off with a switch than be the bloke who’s always giving it the big ones sometimes the more reserved approach yields better results

the skill is being able to switch it on and off at a moments notice and being able to identify when it’s required

• Like Like x 1