Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Quezzies for a trained rank

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Welshy, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Wings

Wings Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Just like what milling is for controlled aggression

• Like Like x 2
  2. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Just finished watching this with my mum, great documentary. At the end she said:
    Could someone explain how the Royal Marines became Royal Marines Commandos, please? I understand that the commandos originated from the Second World War, but I’m not sure as to how the RMs became Britain’s commando forces today?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  3. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

Could someone explain how the Royal Marines became Royal Marines Commandos, please? I understand that the commandos originated from the Second World War, but I’m not sure as to how the RMs became Britain’s commando forces today?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
    Simple they passed the tests mate...

Nah on a serious reply after the war there was serious downsizing of the military in all aspects for the obvious reason there was no longer a war and the country was hanging out. They disbanded the army commandos which If I remember correctly were numbered between 1 and 10. For some reason they decided to allow three Royal Marine Commando units consequently numbered between 40 and 49 in order to make the Germans think we had loads of commando units, these were to endure under one brigade with supporting army, navy and raf elements/personnel. Also the training of the commandos was also entrusted to the RM to uphold and facilitate. Why the government decided to solely leave it to the RM I’m not sure on, probably because we are essence and smell good or something. Maybe someone else will be along to answer that one. Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No need. Almost three hundred and fifty-six years of history in a nutshell. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @SCOTTY6

Ok very interesting.

So I imagine at one time there were units of RMs that were commando trained, and some that weren’t?

6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

During the war and for some time after, there were more Blue beret Marines than Green. All HM Ships had RM detachments until the late 1970s early 80s and you were expected to do at least one draft on a detachment during your 9 years, (minimum service back then). Also, RMs traditionally crewed X Turret on all the large ships.

Plus, the forerunners of the SBS, were blue beret Marines and not commando trained. Have a Google for Operation Frankton, i.e The Cockleshell Heroes.

Alan

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. KADIRATISA

KADIRATISA New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    to do with personal issues as I know sometimes lads are too afraid to ask in relation to relationships in training and pay, leave,

8. KADIRATISA

KADIRATISA New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Excuse my wording, as it’s kind of a tough one to articulate.

I’m certainly not what might be considered a “tough guy” or “hard,”... I’m reasonably stoic, but I’ve had a nice upbringing, I always avoided my ip birthday wishes tneb fighting or any kind of dangerous situations/trouble.

It’s one thing to crack a lot of phys, and be determined, but another to actually be in the thick of it, at the pointy end... I’m sure this isn’t just on my mind, and I’m trying to be delicate as I know it may be a tough subject for some; how does one know if they’re made of the right stuff to be a soldier?

9. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    SERE training in RT and beyond...

What’s the crack, basically?

Resistance to interrogation?

Would I be correct in the assumption RMs fall under the “prone to capture” net?

10. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Is this based on a recruit weekend ashore in Exeter??

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm years out of date but don't hold your breath waiting for information on this topic. It was a sensitive topic forty years ago and I suspect that it still is.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  12. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I suspected I may get a response like that, haha!

Fair enough!

13. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

Simple escape the training team by hiding in the church.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. johno4

johno4 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Do they ever let you shoot the SA80 on full auto ?

15. corvus

corvus Royal Marines Commando

You can do that any time you want, no one is stopping you, do it.

Edit: also say to your corporal 'watch this!' before you do so.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando

Also add that you were just playing the role of GPMG gunner to cover the Cpls shortcomings of not issuing GPMGs from the armoury for the sentry positions.

Its a fair one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Someone should consider making one of those 'text to voice' animation cartoons of the dialogue for YouTube. :)

18. Welshy

Welshy Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

If you want to be on the flank go for it (no they don’t)

19. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

During one of the very first range days I had in RT I recall climbing down into one of the fire trenches. As I was climbing in my Cpl spoke to me and I turned round, rifle and all.

His response was to look me square in the eyes and simply say with 100% conviction “*Surname* If you EVER point a rifle and me again, I WILL shoot you dead”

Needless to say my range discipline vastly improved from that day forward!

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    This one is probably for the older chaps on the forum...

Is it your opinion that the improvement in health and safety regulations, and general reduction in harshness of punishments (just going by what I’ve read and heard about things back in the day, forgive me if I’ve missed the mark on this one) in military training is a good thing or a bad thing, or somewhere in between?

21. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I really cannot understand why you need to know things like this. RT was different in my day, purely because of tactics and equipment, plus the role the Corps had in the Armed Forces influenced the training.

Harshness and comparisons of "punishments" bears no relevance to RT. All you need to concentrate on is getting to the start line of RT, by passing your PJFT and PRMC. You will then be able to make your own mind up on comparisons by what you've read and heard.

Alan. aka GOF.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2