Quezzies

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hello Gents

I passed out of training a little bit ago now so I thought I’d throw this up here and see if anyone needs and or wants any advice be it to do with training or life at unit just comment back or drop me a message

Regards

Welshy

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Good effort! I've changed your status to RMC.

Alan

AngryArgie

Reaction score
Hello Gents

I passed out of training a little bit ago now so I thought I’d throw this up here and see if anyone needs and or wants any advice be it to do with training or life at unit just comment back or drop me a message

Regards

Welshy
Congratulations on passing out mate,
I have a few questions if you don’t mind me asking.

1. Where there any younger lads in your troop? And if so would you say they struggled more than the lads who were around your age mentally? And if there were any who didn’t struggle what would you say made them stick out as stronger mentally.

2. What were your high points in training that really made you feel like recruit training was worth it.

3. When you had low points (assuming you did) and you really felt like you were going to have to wrap, what made you carry on?

4. Leading up to recruit training, would you have gone back and told yourself to improve on anything phys wise like maybe max out all body weight exercises and get your 8 miler under an hour type thing?

Once again congrats on passing out and thanks for answering these questions they are a massive aid in loads of different ways.

Box

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

1. Where there any younger lads in your troop? And if so would you say they struggled more than the lads who were around your age mentally? And if there were any who didn’t struggle what would you say made them stick out as stronger mentally.

2. What were your high points in training that really made you feel like recruit training was worth it.

3. When you had low points (assuming you did) and you really felt like you were going to have to wrap, what made you carry on?

4. Leading up to recruit training, would you have gone back and told yourself to improve on anything phys wise like maybe max out all body weight exercises and get your 8 miler under an hour type thing?

Once again congrats on passing out and thanks for answering these questions they are a massive aid in loads of different ways.
Thanks@AngryArgie, this echoes my thoughts in 'forum users'.

Maths1

Reaction score
Congratulations Welshy, interested in your response to Angry Argie's points.

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi! I know i’m not @Welshy but i’ve also recently passed out of training and can answer the questions from my point of view so you’ll hopefully end up with two points of view!

1. Every troop has young guys, the youngest in my troop started training while he was 16! Did they struggle more mentally... well it’s hard to say as most of training is a mental battle for everyone but we all helped each other get through it. Turns out one of youngest recruits actually got diamond and the best recruit award!

2. The high points have to be each time i did something or experienced something i would of never got to do had i not joined, some examples are Helicopter raids, cliff assaults, landing craft training, going to France for a battlefield tour of D-Day in Normandy but the biggest part of training is the troop you’re with. The guys will become your second family and you can’t ever get that from anything else.

3. There were many low points during training, it’s expected! But what got me through was the little laughs we all had as a troop or with the guy next to you. Even at the worse of times the smallest of laugh you can hold onto and it goes a long way i find. As a troop we all went through the same thing together so we all had each others back, everyone knew how everyone was feeling because they were in the same situation as i was.

4. Leading up to training i ran five times a week, two of the runs were 6 milers the other two were practice 1.5 miles and a return and the last was a practice bleep test, each one was finished off with the pressups, situps and pullups to a bleep. I was lucky to be able to run around a racecourse for horses so i had good grass and avoided shin splints and injury. If i was anyone i would carry on improving on what i had done for the PRMC as when you get to training the PTI’s will make you fit enough for the tests you need to pass throughout training!

Feel free to ask anymore questions! Sorry for stealing the thread as this is Welshy’s post but like i said hopefully you’ll get two points of view from this.

Gelplate12

Reaction score
Hello Gents

Regards

Welshy
Did you ever feel like quitting?

AngryArgie

Reaction score
@Geespt Hello mate, congratulations on passing out. Thank you for answering my questions they are super helpful for me and other potential recruits looking to be in your position one day with a green beret.

One final question is, do they still do helicopter raids? I read somewhere they stopped them altogether because of expenses but if you had them in training then obviously I’m wrong

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Geespt
One final question is, do they still do helicopter raids? I read somewhere they stopped them altogether because of expenses but if you had them in training then obviously I’m wrong
It’s not part of the training programme, it will usually depend on if your training team can get a helo or not. We managed to get a Chinook on our final ex to raid an airfield.

You will however do dunker drills incase a helo goes down over water, make sure you take a deep breath for those ;)

AngryArgie

Reaction score
It’s not part of the training programme, it will usually depend on if your training team can get a helo or not. We managed to get a Chinook on our final ex to raid an airfield.

You will however do dunker drills incase a helo goes down over water, make sure you take a deep breath for those ;)
I’ll be getting those hypoxic lengths in then!

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Did you ever feel like quitting?
Most days mate but that’s what makes a marine, in the face of adversity you can crack on with the task and get It Completed trainings not meant to be easy if it was easy everyone would do it

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

As for your first question yes there were lads who were younger in my troop I think the youngest was 16-17 I was 19 At the time, I think the eyes of the training team are on you a bit more but not in the sense of performance but in the way of duty of care, they’ve got a bigger obligation to make sure you’re not getting into trouble and all that but also with being younger if you get hard they’ll appreciate it more because you won’t have the life experiences/skills that someone 18+ has but all that matters is your willingness to succeed. If you show an appetite to learn and ask when you have questions and or don’t understand something that goes a long way. If you find it hard just break it down even if it’s day by day or occasionally minute by Minute

2: for me some of my high points in training were exercises such as field firing Baptist run and the commando tests also final ex as in these exercises it shows that what they’ve been teaching you has stuck with you and you’re competent in what they require and even if you’re not it’s a good opportunity to highlight areas for improvement, No one who leaves CTC is perfect there’s always room to improve and that appetite to improve is what makes a marine

3: I felt like I wanted to wrap quite a bit and throw my chit in ( mostly in phase 1) but I just thought of “well if I leave now what have I really to go back to” you’ve got so much to gain from passing out of training You’ll develop skills travel and make some great mates doing it and that to me trumps going to your local boozer with the same group of lads in a dead end job anyday ( at least you’re doing something with your life and not letting your life lead you) another big one is showing people wrong, when I signed up I got marked PMU and got told countless Times I wouldn’t pass but that self determination is what gets you through

4: with your 8 miler mate I wouldn’t thrash yourself too hard on that as the phys In training is progressive I’m not saying turn up like a bag of scran, but don’t think you have to thrash yourself like mad before you get there you’ll only end up injuring yourself, id personally of done a lot more hypoxic training in the pool (massively improves your lung strength and capacity) and don’t run every day that’s a sure fire way to shin splints, I’d say run every other day and swim a few days a week and on the days you’re not running maybe throw in a weights/ body weights circuit then you’re hitting all those bases without doing overloading on the impact

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi! I know i’m not @Welshy but i’ve also recently passed out of training and can answer the questions from my point of view so you’ll hopefully end up with two points of view!

1. Every troop has young guys, the youngest in my troop started training while he was 16! Did they struggle more mentally... well it’s hard to say as most of training is a mental battle for everyone but we all helped each other get through it. Turns out one of youngest recruits actually got diamond and the best recruit award!

2. The high points have to be each time i did something or experienced something i would of never got to do had i not joined, some examples are Helicopter raids, cliff assaults, landing craft training, going to France for a battlefield tour of D-Day in Normandy but the biggest part of training is the troop you’re with. The guys will become your second family and you can’t ever get that from anything else.

3. There were many low points during training, it’s expected! But what got me through was the little laughs we all had as a troop or with the guy next to you. Even at the worse of times the smallest of laugh you can hold onto and it goes a long way i find. As a troop we all went through the same thing together so we all had each others back, everyone knew how everyone was feeling because they were in the same situation as i was.

4. Leading up to training i ran five times a week, two of the runs were 6 milers the other two were practice 1.5 miles and a return and the last was a practice bleep test, each one was finished off with the pressups, situps and pullups to a bleep. I was lucky to be able to run around a racecourse for horses so i had good grass and avoided shin splints and injury. If i was anyone i would carry on improving on what i had done for the PRMC as when you get to training the PTI’s will make you fit enough for the tests you need to pass throughout training!

Feel free to ask anymore questions! Sorry for stealing the thread as this is Welshy’s post but like i said hopefully you’ll get two points of view from this.

Cheers for jumping in mate, at least it gives multiple ideas for the lads on how to handle things

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

No such luck on our it was yomp central on our final ex haha

And dunker drills .... yeah if the machine actually works for a change and isn’t broken

AngryArgie

Reaction score
As for your first question yes there were lads who were younger in my troop I think the youngest was 16-17 I was 19 At the time, I think the eyes of the training team are on you a bit more but not in the sense of performance but in the way of duty of care, they’ve got a bigger obligation to make sure you’re not getting into trouble and all that but also with being younger if you get hard they’ll appreciate it more because you won’t have the life experiences/skills that someone 18+ has but all that matters is your willingness to succeed. If you show an appetite to learn and ask when you have questions and or don’t understand something that goes a long way. If you find it hard just break it down even if it’s day by day or occasionally minute by Minute

2: for me some of my high points in training were exercises such as field firing Baptist run and the commando tests also final ex as in these exercises it shows that what they’ve been teaching you has stuck with you and you’re competent in what they require and even if you’re not it’s a good opportunity to highlight areas for improvement, No one who leaves CTC is perfect there’s always room to improve and that appetite to improve is what makes a marine

3: I felt like I wanted to wrap quite a bit and throw my chit in ( mostly in phase 1) but I just thought of “well if I leave now what have I really to go back to” you’ve got so much to gain from passing out of training You’ll develop skills travel and make some great mates doing it and that to me trumps going to your local boozer with the same group of lads in a dead end job anyday ( at least you’re doing something with your life and not letting your life lead you) another big one is showing people wrong, when I signed up I got marked PMU and got told countless Times I wouldn’t pass but that self determination is what gets you through

4: with your 8 miler mate I wouldn’t thrash yourself too hard on that as the phys In training is progressive I’m not saying turn up like a bag of scran, but don’t think you have to thrash yourself like mad before you get there you’ll only end up injuring yourself, id personally of done a lot more hypoxic training in the pool (massively improves your lung strength and capacity) and don’t run every day that’s a sure fire way to shin splints, I’d say run every other day and swim a few days a week and on the days you’re not running maybe throw in a weights/ body weights circuit then you’re hitting all those bases without doing overloading on the impact
All of that is a massive help, I’ll be steadying my running a bit then and implementing another swim and some sort of circuit as I’ve been neglecting them. Totally agree with moving on from hanging out with the same lads in the same pubs in the same towns for years on end. Passed my medical today so looking forward to getting stuck into my PJFT and so on.

Once again congrats on passing out and thanks leaving us with what you’ve written mate it really does help a lot.

Welshy

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
All of that is a massive help, I’ll be steadying my running a bit then and implementing another swim and some sort of circuit as I’ve been neglecting them. Totally agree with moving on from hanging out with the same lads in the same pubs in the same towns for years on end. Passed my medical today so looking forward to getting stuck into my PJFT and so on.

Once again congrats on passing out and thanks leaving us with what you’ve written mate it really does help a lot.
No worries mate anything else you need drop me a Message