Quick Critique

Imperator13

Reaction score
Hello people :)

As I rejoin the Royal Marines Commandos I have a life that is completely different to when I was slight younger in 2015/2016 when I got into RT in 2016. So I cannot train the same way I did back then, which has lead me to be completely unsure how to train!!

Due to work commitments and having a small young family and bills to pay, I can only work out once a day so I’m trying to make the most of my sessions. I was wondering if any of you fitness gurus would be able to mainipulate my “beginners” programme (lay of the phys quite bad when I left RT-banghead-) genuinely give your opinions.

Workout Plan-
Day 1:

5km tempo run (aiming for sub 22 minutes)
Press up gainers (15,15,15)
Sit ups gainers (35,35,35)
Pull up gainers (3,3,3)
5x20 Air Squats

Day 2:
RM fitness tool circuit

Press ups 25,30,25

Knees to chest 15,20,15

Squats 20,25,20

Pull ups 4,6,4

Alt elbow to knee 30,40,30

Lunges 20,30,20

Chin ups 5,7,5

Leg raises 15,20,15

Hamstring bridges 20,25,20

DB Weights-

4x12 Floor Press

4x12 Shrugs

4x12 Tricep Overhead extensions

4x8 Bicep curl

Day 3-

5km tempo run (aiming for sub 22 minutes)

Press up gainers

Sit ups gainers

Pull ups gainers

5x20 air squats

Day 4-

Same as day 2

Day 5-

5 mile run (aiming for 8 Minute miles)

Press up gainers

Sit up gainers

Pull up gainers

5x20 squats
Day 5-

6x 50 squats/400m Run

Arnys weighted gym session

I do not have access to a gym currently and I am going to try improve either reps or time every week.

Thanks for any advice and tips etc given! :D

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
I’d put hill sprints in there somewhere, and a BFT RMFA test session too.

Imperator13

Reaction score
I’d put hill sprints in there somewhere, and a BFT RMFA test session too.

The area I’ve moved to seems to have no hills -banghead- however I’m sure I will find something to run up and when I do I will definitely add them. Also was going dondo a the BFT RMFA monthly for now!!

Do you reckon something along these lines will be enough training? I haven’t reapplied yet as my fitness isn’t what it used to be, but like said I only have time at the moment for one trainin session a day! :(

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Do you reckon something along these lines will be enough training? I haven’t reapplied yet as my fitness isn’t what it used to be, but like said I only have time at the moment for one trainin session a day! :(
I’d use the BFT RMFA To gauge if your training is effective, if your hitting decent numbers there, then focus on your legs for Thursday in some sort of leg endurance session to cover that angle. Training once per day is easily do-able, but you’d need to be smart. Dumbell curls is not a PRMC requirement, and if you only have one session a day, then I’d seriously recommend you don’t perform any movements that you won’t do at a PRMC. Your call however!

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The area I’ve moved to seems to have no hills -banghead- however I’m sure I will find something to run up and when I do I will definitely add them.

It says you're from York on your profile. If so, Green Dykes Lane off Hull road is where I do my hill sprints. It's 80-100m and the gradient, while nothing crazy, is steep enough to get the legs burning and lungs blowing!

Last edited:

Imperator13

Reaction score
It says you're from York on your profile. If so, Green Dykes Lane off Hull road is where I do my hill sprints. It's 80-100m and gradient, while nothing crazy, is steep enough to get the legs burning and lungs blowing!

I will have a look at that! Don’t live far from Hull Road! Used to live in Malton and you couldn’t move without finding a hill!

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
The area I’ve moved to seems to have no hills -banghead- however I’m sure I will find something to run up and when I do I will definitely add them.

Hill sprints are an intrinsic part of any training regime. I've said many times on here that Devon does not do flat. If you do not have any hills local, then find a staircase in a multi story car park or sports stadium. If memory serves me right, York has steps on and around the city wall. A few sessions each week, incorporated into your programme will adequately prepare you for PRMC.

Good luck

Alan

Imperator13

Reaction score
Day 1
6.4km Run building to 10km

Press up gainers

Sit ups gainers

Pull up gainers

Day 2

Leg Circuit

Resistance band work

Day 3

Hill sprints

Gainers

Day 4

Leg circuit

Resistance band work

Day 5

5km/BFT best effort

Gainers

Day 6

Interval training

Gainers with additional core work

@arny01

Been thinking about a more specific way to train and seeing as my first physical hurdle will be the PJFT I’ve came up with a different plan mainly focused on running and leg endurance whilst still hitting the RMFA areas minus the bleep test.

Once I get closer to the PJFT stage I will run twice on the treadmill a week and keep 2 out door runs.

Do you feel this looks more beneficial and more specific to the needs of PJFT?

Thanks for you times and anyone else who can offer advice and criticism!

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
If your training for a Pjft. I’d stick a mock in there somewhere to validate the training your doing.