Quick Questions

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
Hello Gents, I'm new to this forum and have found it an endless resource for my POC/AIB prep.

I have a few questions tohugh, ones I couldnt find on here.

1. If on completion of training, you are given a trade or branch you do not want, what is the minimum compulsory time you have to serve in that branch?

2. What is the rank slide of a regimental sergeant major?

3. How many men in a commando unit?

4. Which ATV do the RM used?

5. At what rank do you enter the RM as an officer?

6. How many men in a platoon?

Well it seems there are more than a few and hopefully they havent been answered else where. Also, I have googled all of the above without luck, so any answers would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome Dinger

You may well have already seen the following bits which maybe of use to you:

RM Officer seniority upon joining

Badges of Rank

History of the Commandos

Doubtless others will give you further pointers, but you'll appreciate we're happier to give example questions rather than a list of complete answers. In finding the answers it will broaden and deepen your overall Corps knowledge rather than give a list of parrot-fashion statistics. I hope you understand the logic behind the reason & good luck with your application.

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking for parrot answers but I guess I could spend some more time scouring. I asked these specific questions, not because I couldn't be bothered but because I genuinely couldn't find them.

I will look through the links you provided though and I appreciate your reply.

One question though...what is a 'rank slide'? Or If you could answer that one question pertaining to 'rank slide' that would be great.

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
After thinking about it, does it refer to, as you sent me a list of ranks, just that, the list of ranks 'sliding' all the way up to Seargeant Major?...If so I have all of that information.

RC

Reaction score
Rank Slide.

On front of a CS95 shirt / Combat Jacket ( where the buttons / zips are ) there is an epalet which allows you to slide / attach your rank slide (which shows your rank).

Does that confuse you anymore ? *text deleted*

Basically, it's the material which shows your rank which you attach to your uniform.

Welcome aboard mate.

Rich.

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
Excellent thanks RC, it makes a bit more sense now...hahaha

So the answer to the rank slide of a seargeant major?.... (warrant officer 1) is the discription of the crest?

Therefore.... one with a lion and unicorn next to the globe and laural, with a crown at the top? Sound like a funny question to ask someone on a test or interview but to each his own.

Thanks agian RC

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Excellent thanks RC, it makes a bit more sense now...hahaha

So the answer to the rank slide of a seargeant major?.... (warrant officer 1) is the discription of the crest?

Therefore.... one with a lion and unicorn next to the globe and laural, with a crown at the top? Sound like a funny question to ask someone on a test or interview but to each his own.

Thanks agian RC
RSM is WO1. The lion, unicorn, (witch & wardrobe) is indeed the Royal Warrant which is the badge of rank.

The questions are simply a gauge of motivation, humourous or otherwise, it gives an indication that you may have brains as well as brawn & are prepared to conduct research.

Again, good luck, looking at your dates for selection you're going to need it!

lil_dinger_bell

Reaction score
Thanks Ninja I need all the help I can get. Im hopefully fit enough as of now and the next month will be icing on the cake. After scouring all these fourm sites I have quite a expansive resource of study materials to get on with.

I just keep telling myself that its only 4 days (2 days of hard work at POC & AIB each) and that I can only prepare as much as humanly possible.

I even (although I slightly regret) bought some hours with a Maths tutor for the speed time distance, and maths aptitude test....

......*text deleted*!! so anxious and nervous bout it all really.

Every night for the past year I have stayed awake thinking the mysteries of the POC and AIB process over and over.

Anyway, thanks agian

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In some ways it's probably good with the selection process to get it all over with in as quickly as possible, but many people prefer a little longer between POC & AIB in order to focus and prepare fully on each element individually. As yours are very close together, you have little option to prepare for both simultaneously- good luck.