Race horse deaths

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In two days of horse racing at Cheltenham, five horses died. During the Grand National last year, two horses died. They claim to have an "excellent" safety record, but if they were human deaths, the sport would be stopped. I've never really been too fussed by horse racing, but when these horses are forced to race when others keep getting killed, am I the only one who considers it to be animal cruelty??
Since those 5 deaths at Cheltenham, I've now become very anti-horse racing. What's everyone elses views?

Ross

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yup after hearing about this I'm pretty disgusted too, as said if they were human deaths it would be stopped straight away. I also hate the fact that the horses don't usually die in the race, they break their leg so they shoot them, I appreciate they may never be able to race again but surely there's something they can do with them?

I definitely think it should at least be reviewed, less/reduced height/no jumps, less use of the whip (I know this was done recently but maybe ban it completely?), etc.

Ren_Dundle10101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think animal cruelty is despicable, but I do not consider horse racing to be as such. I think race horses lead a very good life, and the deaths are regretable.

I think focus should be put on the (non racing) horses at the bottom of the welfare scale, and once the standard of living has been raised of those horses, perhaps a look should be taken at these race horses. But until then, lets focus on the horses that are living in squalor.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think focus should be put on the (non racing) horses at the bottom of the welfare scale, and once the standard of living has been raised of those horses, perhaps a look should be taken at these race horses. But until then, lets focus on the horses that are living in squalor.
That's a different matter altogether. I do agree that other horses who live in bad states need to be taken care of, but there's no reason why that can't be done as well as a review of horse racing. It's done by different people. It's not like they can only do one or the other. And the point I'm making is specifically about horse racing, not animal cruelty in general.

S

stokey_14

Yup after hearing about this I'm pretty disgusted too, as said if they were human deaths it would be stopped straight away. I also hate the fact that the horses don't usually die in the race, they break their leg so they shoot them, I appreciate they may never be able to race again but surely there's something they can do with them?

I definitely think it should at least be reviewed, less/reduced height/no jumps, less use of the whip (I know this was done recently but maybe ban it completely?), etc.

First of all once a horse brakes it's leg it much fairer to kill it, the length of time it would have to be kept off it's feet for the leg to heal + the fact it may not ever heal would cause it much more suffering.

Horses sadly aren?t going to limp on three legs or sit still until there legs fixes it would be months of agonising cruelty for a small chance it my one day walk again.You think the track vet would put a good horse down?

I'm a big racing fan, those animals are very well looked after (visit a national stud) and ever horse lost is of great sadness to any true race fan, owner, trainer etc

The idea of banning the whip is also in my opinion moronic. I can't remember the statistics but it's something like 1 in a 1000 whips will leave a visible swell on a huge animal. The whips are designed not to hurt the animal and basically, you try controlling a horse that big, strong etc racing along at such high speeds with out a whip.

I think there need to be common sense, yes rules about whip use are needed so the animals aren't flogged half to death but they never where before the new ruleing.

The people I've come across who are anti- horse racing tend not to know the first thing about horse racing.

These animals are bread to race if they weren?t doing that then the majority would have no further use and be culled/ turned into glue.

A visit to the national stud would open you eyes to the love and the care these animals have bestowed upon them. Seriously I'd eat my Christmas dinner of the floor there.

Horse's dieing is a sad fact of the sport but there would be many more horses much worse of with out it.

Thankfully for those who don?t want to see a mass horse culling, who enjoy and love these animals and even those who enjoy the odd flutter there is to much money for horse racing to ever be banned. Thank god.

Stokey

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's difficult. The problem is a horse doesn't have the intelligence to stop running like we do. Given the motive, it will literally run itself to death.

I do consider horse riding to be very cruel. Almost disgusting. But I'm just saying - it's *text deleted** the way they are.

My dad always said to me "a horse will run itself to death". Meaning, it's all in your head - just crack on you can always go faster and longer.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Stokey. I agree that it's a very good thing that the horses are looked after so well. Being "bred to race" is another thing. Is that fair or right? I know it's not quite the same, but whenever we see child soldiers we're all up in arms about it (pun not intended). Couldn't we just say they were "born to fight" and make it all acceptable? They don't have a choice, ergo it's morally wrong. In my opinion, as horses that are "bred to race" also don't have a choice in the matter, that too is questionable. Not as bad as child soldiers, obviously, but you see my point. Now I wouldn't be against horse riding if they just made the races safer. Most of the time when a horse falls and breaks its leg, it's because they make the landing side of the fence about a foot lower than the jump side. Why? What's the point in that? A test of skill? It's bloody dangerous, as has been shown with 5 deaths in 2 days! Have you ever stepped off a curb and it's been ever so slightly higher than you were expecting? You stumble slightly, right? If you're a 500kg horse running at however fast they run, you make a jump and the landing is a foot lower than you were expecting, is it any wonder there's such accidents? It's just unnecessary, and if they sort that out, I'll be perfectly happy with horse racing.

S

stokey_14

Stokey. I agree that it's a very good thing that the horses are looked after so well. Being "bred to race" is another thing. Is that fair or right? I know it's not quite the same, but whenever we see child soldiers we're all up in arms about it (pun not intended). Couldn't we just say they were "born to fight" and make it all acceptable? They don't have a choice, ergo it's morally wrong. In my opinion, as horses that are "bred to race" also don't have a choice in the matter, that too is questionable. Not as bad as child soldiers, obviously, but you see my point. Now I wouldn't be against horse riding if they just made the races safer. Most of the time when a horse falls and breaks its leg, it's because they make the landing side of the fence about a foot lower than the jump side. Why? What's the point in that? A test of skill? It's bloody dangerous, as has been shown with 5 deaths in 2 days! Have you ever stepped off a curb and it's been ever so slightly higher than you were expecting? You stumble slightly, right? If you're a 500kg horse running at however fast they run, you make a jump and the landing is a foot lower than you were expecting, is it any wonder there's such accidents? It's just unnecessary, and if they sort that out, I'll be perfectly happy with horse racing.

I personally don?t place the same morals we place on humans as I do on animals. Maybe that makes me a monster but fact of the matter is all domesticated animals are bread for something. (guard dogs, house hold pets, working dogs, race horses, cows for beef/milk etc)

Are dogs bread and made to hunt being wrongly forced into doing something that they shouldn?t? Isn?t racing something Horses do anyways (all be it with out the jockey on there back.) rather like a dog that hunts a rabbit etc

Things should be done to make it safe for the horses but also jockeys alike.

Whilst I understand your moral obligations against breading animals for certain things I just don?t share the same view. I have no issues with humans using animals for there own means.

We don?t need animals for food, we don?t need milk any working animal in these days is not needed but we do it for our own gains.

As said I feel sadness when I see a horse go down, I always hope they get up however as someone who is/was pro-fox hunting, hunts my self (and have done from a young age all be it not mega seriously), who eats meat etc I find it very hard to turn around and say ?ooo isn?t it cruel using horses for entertainment when they could get hurt? well yes maybe it is but rest assured if horse racing was to be banned the over all well being of these animals and the number of them left alive would drop dramatically.

Lots of them would be culled simply because there would be no real economic gain to come from them (sad but true)

Should all horse racing be banned in your eyes? What about endurance and cross country racing when horses jump natural obstacles sometimes going the same way as jump horses?

It?s sad too see the loss of the 5 during this festival but in my opinion it is a low number when you look at the number of horses racing. Not sure of the actual number of horses that have ran this week but my guess is 2-3% have come to harm?

Bearing in mind that in any sport involving animals there is a level of unpredictability and danger to them that would be there race or no race. Accidents happen.

Stokey