RAF Tornado Jets to be grounded early

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5567013/Tornado-jets-axed-RAF-line-against-ISIS.html

Despite still being used on the front line against ISIS in Syria every day, the iconic Tornado fighter-bomber jets are set to be axed by early next year.

All 36 Tornado GR4s will be decommissioned by the RAF because of defence budget cuts.

The bomber was set to stay until the F-35B jet was ready to replace it but budget pressures have forced the RAF's hand early.

The iconic Tornado GR4 fighter bomber jet is set to be axed by the RAF because of budget cuts

The iconic bomber is still in action against Islamic State in Syria after plans to remove it were first raised in 2015.

The Tornado was given a reprieve then to join the air war in Syria where it is supporting Special Forces.

But the RAF is now making way for 12 F-35Bs, to operate from RAF Marham, and the new Royal Navy's Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers. A senior RAF source told the Express: 'The plan after the change to the 2015 SDSR decision was to keep the Tornado fully in service until the arrival of the F-35B.

'But budget pressures has meant this has changed, and Tornado withdrawal is being accelerated.'

The move comes after the RAF, Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier, of 'capability gaps' caused by budget cuts.

He said that more aircraft and resources are needed to deal with the gaps.

The aircraft was due to be removed in 2015 but was reprieved so Tornado squadrons could join the fight against ISIS

The disbandment parade for the first Tornado unit to be axed, 12 Squadron, has already taken place two weeks ago at RAF Marham.

Wing Commander Nikki Thomas said: 'It was very poignant for us to deliver the Squadron's final flight as an operational mission because 12 Squadron has been at the very forefront of UK operations to defeat [IS].'

No jobs will be lost in the change, with pilots transferred to other units.

However, because of the budget issues, there are only enough F35s for one unit at the moment.

The RAF could gain another 48 F-35Bs but the National Audit Office has said the Armed Forces equipment plan is unaffordable.

+2
Although they will be axed in the next few months, Tornado G34 bombers are used on the frontline in Syria every day

Air Commodore Andrew Lambert of the UK National Defence Association said that they fought hard to save the Tornados because of the important role they play.

He also said that they do not know when they will get the promised 48 F-35Bs.

'It means we are facing the loss of our three Tornado squadrons for just one F-35B squadron of 12 aircraft.'

Air Chief Marshal Hillier, said: 'Our control of the air is now being challenged, as we have seen with the Russians in Syria and through other state-based threats.'

He also stressed that because of funding issues, the RAF will not be able to protect British interests overseas.

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Bean counters ruining things again.

Sad day for the RAF especially on the anniversary.

Unless this is an April fools o_O

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What an absolute clusterf@ck.

Well done politicians for destroying the UKs ability to defend the country.

Well done to the pretentious arseh0le Officers for being a bunch of spineless yes men c£nts.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Despite still being used on the front line against ISIS in Syria every day, the iconic Tornado fighter-bomber jets are set to be axed by early next year.

Point of order. When did asthmatic Tornados become iconic?
Spitfires are iconic; Lancasters are iconic; L1A1 SLRs are iconic... but Tornados? Useful maybe, but iconic? I don't think so. :)

Chelonian

Reaction score
Was it the aircraft or the radar jamming capabilities that the Russkies feared most? :)

All I ever did was run up big hills with unfeasibly mahoosive bergens so I'm not best qualified to say. :)
But I reckon that one of the Vulcan's biggest assets was its sinister appearance. It looks seriously scary even today.

vulcan.jpg

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
All I ever did was run up big hills with unfeasibly mahoosive bergens so I'm not best qualified to say. :)
Me too! However I was privileged to listen to a series of talks whilst on Holiday last year by the Concorde engineer Ricky Bastin. Whilst his talks on Concorde were great. His "Bonus talk" was on the UK V-bombers. Apparently we had the capabilities to nuke Moscow with complete invisibility due to the radar jamming capabilities of the V-bombers. A fact that petrified the Russians.

Chelonian

Reaction score
A fact that petrified the Russians.

Definitely. I think that public perception in the UK has always under-estimated our ability to deliver destruction to Russia. Historically, as a nation, we're quite good at warfare.
If only we could apply the same focus of purpose to the football World Cup. :(

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
But I reckon that one of the Vulcan's biggest assets was its sinister appearance. It looks seriously scary even today.

vulcan.jpg

My god that turns me on. Look at it. Just bloody look at it.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Definitely. I think that public perception in the UK has always under-estimated our ability to deliver destruction to Russia. Historically, as a nation, we're quite good at warfare. If only we could apply the same focus of purpose to the football World Cup. :(

I underestimate our ability to deliver any sort of destruction to a country with a regular army currently. The investment in force projection doesn't seem to be there, and having such a small hammer to hit nails with surely has a huge impact on our countries ability to project its interests?

I hear about the defence review(s) and struggle to see investment in capability. Historically major conflicts kick off when a nation least expects it. I'm sure we would be very offensive in any sort of defence we mount, but I think the political class seems to expect a military force would be raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency, not sure how realistic that would be, with no air or sea assets...?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Historically major conflicts kick off when a nation least expects it.

Yep. Our politicians have very short memories.

I hear about the defence review(s) and struggle to see investment in capability.

The word 'review' in this context is always a euphemism for 'reduction of investment'. :(

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Once again the outward picture is the RAF intend withdrawing 36 Tornados, some of which operate in direct support of UK soldiers on the ground in a combat theatre together with the more air-combat capable Typhoon.

The Typhoon and Tornado combination in Syria/Iraq, a campaign costing over $2.4Billion so far, will leave the Typhoon a bit thin on the ground with regard ground strike capacity.

Interestingly the Luftwaffe are looking at scrapping their Tornados prematurely. One of the reasons? The aircraft instrumentation lights don't have a dimmer switch for night flying ops. Then again, I guess we didn't use dimmer switches in the 1970s, at the time the Tornado was introduced because we used Lava lamps instead. ;)

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any coherent message from anyone in Government. Our country is like is car swerving all over the bloody road and at some point, the cops pull it over only to find no driver.

The only small credible reason I could give, this is me scraping the bottom of the conspiracy barrel is that it could be linked to Trump revealing last week that the US won't be in Syria much longer in any role. Therefore we would need to pull out anyone that maybe there, so no need for them for the Tornado's. Or maybe as the Syrian's take back more control of their country, they've told them to leave and if they don't they will be shot at.

Apart from that, and I'm really trying. I have no other reasoning except the country is genuinely this screwed up.

Once again the outward picture is the RAF intend withdrawing 36 Tornados, some of which operate in direct support of UK soldiers on the ground in a combat theatre together with the more air-combat capable Typhoon.

The Typhoon and Tornado combination in Syria/Iraq, a campaign costing over $2.4Billion so far, will leave the Typhoon a bit thin on the ground with regard ground strike capacity.

Interestingly the Luftwaffe are looking at scrapping their Tornados prematurely. One of the reasons? The aircraft instrumentation lights don't have a dimmer switch for night flying ops. Then again, I guess we didn't use dimmer switches in the 1970s, at the time the Tornado was introduced because we used Lava lamps instead. ;)

I know a chap who swears that this is true, he did use to work for the company involved in putting together the Tornado's in the 70's. I've no reason to doubt him, but who knows.

He claims that they built a batch of 20 of these Tornado's, first off the line. Later it was found that when the cannon fired it would rattle the wings so much that the wings failed. Unable to fix the problems on the 20 that had already been built, and to avoid embarrassment. They removed the cannon and rebadged these as the reconnaissance variant Tornado GR1A.

A variant that nobody had ever asked for. Said the RAF was a bit puzzled when they were handed them as nobody had told them they were on their way. It only came to light 10 or so years later when someone finally asked the question, who ordered these. :D

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Incase anyone is wondering what happens to retired RAF airframes, See pics below:

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That’s heartbreaking. What a waste.

And such a beautiful Aircraft. Harriet GR3 if I am not mistaken, you can tell by the position of the wing undercarriage, and lack of the extra forward flap at wing root.

My god I am a sad.