RAMC & 3 Commando Brigade

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve just recently passed out of Phase 1 in the Army and due to start Phase 2 CMT training in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if Army medics can work alongside Royal Marines/Other units i.e 29, 24 etc etc or is it only Navy medics that work in 3 Cdo Bde? The reason I ask here is because there is next to no info on the CMT role anywhere, and I remember @Johnny_Anonie said he was an ex CMT.

Ta gents!

Oden

Reaction score
This is slightly off topic however as a CMT how long did it take to get into phase 1 from the assesment centre? I've heard the CMT is highly popular and takes a long time to get into.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I was originally told a 2 year wait, I applied in March 2020, got my assessment in August and started training in October. All in all it really depends on a few factors. I got an A so was probably “bumped up” quicker than people who got a grade B. Don’t get disheartened if they say 2 years as it’s more than likely sooner.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
No not just Navy Army medics can work at both of those units, not many do but they can and also CHF (helicopter force) Medical is going more purple (all 3 services by the year) it just the differing entry and pass out levels differ, and sorry to say the RAF & Navy won't come down and the Army cant go up educational levels to level the playing field (or the will not get the number of bodies they need).

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Yeah thought I’d just ask because at Pirbright I saw an RAMC bloke with a green lid and wondered if perhaps he’d been attached to the Royals at some point. Not saying I want to do the AACC, but would be cool if I could work alongside them at some point in my career.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah thought I’d just ask because at Pirbright I saw an RAMC bloke with a green lid and wondered if perhaps he’d been attached to the Royals at some point. Not saying I want to do the AACC, but would be cool if I could work alongside them at some point in my career.
There are lots of possibilities. One could be he was a rmc then transfered. A lot of marines want to be medics but with almost a 4 year wait some people prefer other options.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Hi,

@The guide is much better placed to comment on current arrangements as I’ve been out of the game for close to ten years now!! Which, by the way, just sent a shiver up my spine.

Unless things have drastically changed then as a Class one you can be posted out of a Medical Regiment and into any unit that requires a Medic “PiD” filled (essentially this means vacancy). For example my first posting out of a Med Regt was as a company medic within an Infantry battalion.

So this includes Army units within 3 Cdo Bde. If posted to a Cdo unit you will have the opportunity/be required to undertake the AACC.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
From the brief we had the other day before I left Pirbright, I asked about the Class 1 course and the guy said that it could take about a year after doing the initial training anyway, so it would be a long time before I could sink my teeth into working with the Infantry, but nice to know I could have that opportunity.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
From the brief we had the other day before I left Pirbright, I asked about the Class 1 course and the guy said that it could take about a year after doing the initial training anyway, so it would be a long time before I could sink my teeth into working with the Infantry, but nice to know I could have that opportunity.

Correct.

When I was in I waited approximately a year before being loaded onto my Class 1.

New Threads