Ranks & roles

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just a few questions -

How exactly does the role of a Captain differ from that of a 2Lt and Lt? It has been said that they are all Troop Commanders, yet a Captain gets paid a fair bit more. I read somewhere that a Captain was a 'senior' Troop Commander.

How many years, in general, does it take to be promoted from Captain to Major? What type of role will a Major have? Do they play a greater part in planning and logistics of a unit?

By the way, what exactly does a Recruiting Officer do? I thought they worked in AFCO's, but.....

Oh and do they use the term 'platoon' in the Royal Marines or is that the same as a troop?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Sorry if this is brief...
There is no such thing as a Recruiting Officer, I have made up this role as I am in the Recruiting Company based at CTC and am doing this in my spare time to boost recuitment to the Corps.
An Army Platoon is the same as an RM Troop... just not as good!
A Capt and a Lt are broadly similar, there is other stuff written about this already. A 2Lt is the rank you hold in training. See other posts for more information.
Approximately 8-10yrs is spent as a Capt before promotion to Major. A Major in a Commando Unit will be a Company Commander, the same as a Troop Commander but you are responsible for three Troops. Also as a Major, you could be the Operations Officer or the Unit 2I/C.
Hope that helps mate.
RMRO

tweighman

Reaction score
Hi sir,
you'll be glad to see Ive moved from MFAT forum and am here to bug you with more questions!
I rang a naval career office a few weeks ago (with a question you actually awnsered on the aforementioned forum). They told me that an officer cannot advance to Captain untill he has commanded a rifle troop. Is this true? (sorry if the question is inappropiate to the thread, I couldnt think where else to post it).

tweighman

Reaction score
I think they meant an officer cannot become captain until after he has commanded a rifle troop in one of the commando units