Raw Recruits: Squaddies at 16

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by northmonkeySW, Jan 7, 2019.

1. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Anyone watching this? Not sure how I'd feel about signing up to be on this at 16, not fully knowing the potential long term career consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    At that age they are probably buzzing to be on tv to be honest

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I didn't watch the show but a question for anyone who did:

Did it feature youngsters weeping? :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes, yes it did.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I guess the same amount of crying in the recent SAS Who Dares Wins episode.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Nothing wrong with having a little weep when exhausted, cold and scared. But then one cracks on with the job in hand.

But TV thrives on tears regardless of topic: cake baking, military training, dancing, etc.

7. Rover

Rover Moderator

o_O

So are you saying that dancing and cake making are now part of military training!!:eek::confused:

Although going by the new army adverts I would not be surprised.:);)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Funny you should mention it... I have less than fond memories of enforced highland dancing during breaks on range days during RT. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  9. Rover

Rover Moderator

Vision of Norway and the M&AW conducting Dancing on Ice.:):)

• Like Like x 2
  10. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

RAF training of course! :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I personally felt pretty cringed watching it lastnight and do think personally that 16 seems to young in this generation for it.
    I’m not against woman joining the marines but after watching sas who dares wins it came across like the training team were loving sein the woman struggle physically and break down just showing it’s an area they shouldn’t be in.

Looking forward to the paras one Thursday!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Moonduster

Moonduster Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Probably in a minority but I thought they did pretty well. Considering they are all only 16 I think the young guys and gals showed a pretty good attitude and most importantly they all seemed to want to be there.
    Obviously a very long way to go and a lot to learn but I will be watching their progress with interest.

• Like Like x 3
  13. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Same, maybe the last British military show that will be male only.

• Like Like x 1
  14. goatstarer

goatstarer New Member

Extremely cringeworthy, but as has been mentioned before on other threads, it's heavily edited for entertainment value only.
    The fact that they (the production company) stated that The UK is the only western nation to take under 18's into HMF was a dig at the liberal side, short of saying 'child soldiers'
    The RT (phase 1) is conducted at the Army Apprentice College in Harrogate and they've yet to proceed to Catterick for phase 2 and joining the adult intake at Catterick.
    Personally the training staff are as equally cringeworthy, as an example and I particular the AAC full screw. I wouldn't trust him with a pencil never mind recruits. Taking my gripes and short observations into account, I'd say a percentage of the recruits won't make it past phase 1 and also a vast majority will be destined for none Inf roles across the Army.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, the Army is big and many juniors will be seeking non-infantry trades.

As an aside, back in the day Junior Parachute Company were billeted at Depot Para, Aldershot. Youngsters would do academic work alongside military training. Most were also filtered into a gymnastic team or drums. When they reached minimum age they would transfer across to Recruit Company. Cocky little hooligans. We called 'em Hitler Youth. :)

I think that the Royal Marines also once had a junior training company. @Caversham might confirm if he spots this.

16. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As soon as I saw the ads, I thought “there’s going to be tears and a ton of emotional ‘interviews’ on this”. Haven’t watched it so apologies to the programs if I sell it short but it looked like commando school but even more watered down.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Yes they did and former Juniors are a very proud bunch of guys. They, like the Paras, joined up at 16 and did extended training until they reached a particular age, I think it was 17, when they entered RT, either as a Junior Troop if there were sufficient numbers, or they joined an adult troop who were about to leave Deal for CTC. We had around a dozen of them join us and they were brilliant, especially with regards to admin. In fact, I am going to a Junior's reunion of these guys in Exeter this July, which should be fun!

My cousin, who served for 22 years was the WO2 PTI at CTC, and former son in law both joined as Juniors.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  18. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    What is the para's one called ? Going to give it a watch

19. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Yes...alot!

But what I would say is that apart from way too much focus on the small numbers of females on the course (and a bloke who seemed to have Tourette's) it actually gave a reasonable view of what to expect. If I had a 16 year old daughter who was looking to join the Army I would be reassured that she would not be out of her depth. Of the many routes into the Army this is probably the gentlest - more akin to a '50s boarding school than the Army proper - we will see the other side of the coin tonight with 'Paras - Men of War'. Hopefully not so much crying and certainly no focus on girls (*text deleted* there aren't any YET) but I can guarantee there will be some proper toe curling moments...I await @Chelonian comments!

• Like Like x 1
  20. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I had country dancing lessons at Sandhurst back in the (very) early 90s - Gen Dit.

Shaped me into the lovely mover I am today;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1